Early 80's Guerciotti - Help needed

Mark <[email protected]> wrote:

> With the addition of some fresh Bar Tape, and if you find your not
> happy with the existing saddle, a Black Brooks saddle would go very
> well with this bike.
>
> <snip>
>
> Keep us posted how you make out! Mark

A black Brooks is exactly what I intend to put on it, either Swift or
Professional. There's a Brooks dealer just around the corner so I'll
have to take the bike there and see whatever looks best on it.

I'll try to remember to put some more photographs online and post a
message here, once I get it all done.

-as

On 28 Aug 2004 14:39:54 GMT, Antti Salonen
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Trevor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Best to use a 'gear train' wide ratio frewheel 13 - 32 with a half step
>> chainwheel for this rear mech. It does not like wide spaced chainwheels.
>> Even a 10 tooth difference is not easy to set up for complete satisfactory
>> use.

>I'm assuming that the 5-speed freewheel is something like 11-21 or
>12-21

11s and even 12s were very rare with 5 speed. The smallest cog is
likely a 13 or 14.

JT

****************************
Remove "remove" to reply
Visit http://www.jt10000.com
****************************

Antti Salonen wrote in message ...
>Trevor <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Best to use a 'gear train' wide ratio frewheel 13 - 32 with a half step
>> chainwheel for this rear mech. It does not like wide spaced chainwheels.
>> Even a 10 tooth difference is not easy to set up for complete

satisfactory
>> use.

>I'm assuming that the 5-speed freewheel is something like 11-21 or
>12-21 and the chainrings 52/42, and that kind of gearing is just fine
>for me. We have some steep hills in the neighbourhood (around Helsinki,
>Finland) but none are very long, so 42-21 is just fine as the smallest
>gear. At least personally, I welcome the hills as a chance to get out of
>the saddle and change to a slower cadence for a while, if necessary.
>
>-as

The rear mech is still best set up on a single ring, or with small
chainwheel difference. It is ideal for this use, and when correctly set up
gives a solid fast and accurate change. I think official figure suggested
Nouvo gran sport as max 26 sprocket although it was frequently used on a 28
with 10t diff on chainwheel. With only a single chainwheel or half step
set-up, it is poss to go to 31 or 32 easily.

Trevor

Antti Salonen wrote in message ...
>Mark <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> With the addition of some fresh Bar Tape, and if you find your not
>> happy with the existing saddle, a Black Brooks saddle would go very
>> well with this bike.
>>
>> <snip>
>>
>> Keep us posted how you make out! Mark

>A black Brooks is exactly what I intend to put on it, either Swift or
>Professional. There's a Brooks dealer just around the corner so I'll
>have to take the bike there and see whatever looks best on it.
>
>I'll try to remember to put some more photographs online and post a
>message here, once I get it all done.

The swift is definitely a more recent shape. The comp/pro is more
accurate. Then again why not use a Rolls.

Trevor