Early 80's Guerciotti - Update

>>From: Antti Salonen
>>There is no tubing sticker either. The frame is pretty heavy at about
>>2.4 kilograms (size 54 cm c-t), so I'm guessing that it wasn't a
>>top-level racing frame, but perhaps something more ordinary and
>>mid-priced.

> PBridge130 wrote:
> what's the seatpost diameter?

In that era first quality SP ( 27.0) and SL (27.2) frames
weighed less than the 'tretubi" economy models (three tubes
Columbus with heavier cheaper forks and stays) yet have the
same post sizes.

--
Andrew Muzi
www.yellowjersey.org

A Muzi wrote:
> In that era first quality SP ( 27.0) and SL (27.2) frames
> weighed less than the 'tretubi" economy models (three tubes
> Columbus with heavier cheaper forks and stays) yet have the
> same post sizes.

Since the seatpost diameter is 26.4 what would you expect the tubing to
be? I have an early 70's Stella with tretubi Columbus main triangle.
Seatpost diameter is 26.4 or 26.6 (I don't recall which, the bike is on
loan to a friend and I don't have access to it). Antti said the frame
alone weighs 2.4 Kg.

Bill Putnam
p.s. when I try to pull up your web page
http://www.yellowjersey.org/ebay/mcr.html
I get a run time error message which keeps popping up and therefore
cannot view the page effectively.

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> skrev i en meddelelse
news:[email protected]...
> > On Wed, 15 Dec 2004 12:00:35 +0000, Antti Salonen wrote:
> >>A few months ago I asked about an early 80's Guerciotti racing bike,
> >>which I then purchased. Some of you wanted to know how it turned out
> >>with it, so I'm writing an update. Here's a new photograph:
> >>
> >>http://www.pp.fishpool.fi/~as/pics/misc/guerciotti.html

> -snip-
> >>Other than that, the bike is as it was originally sold.

> The derailers
> >>and downtube shifters are Campagnolo Gran Sport.

> -snip-
> >>Brakes and brake levers
> >>are Universal.

> -snip->>If any of you can tell more accurately what year
> this bike is from, I'd
> >>be most interested. The shop that I got it from claimed

> that they sold
> >>it in the late 80's, but the bike definitely seems to be

> from early
> >>80's. It has 120 mm rear dropout spacing and a 5-speed

> freewheel.
>
> David L. Johnson wrote:
> > Geez, my first 10-speed I got when I was maybe 13 had those. Unless

they
> > re-used that model name, those derailleurs are likely very old. More

like
> > '60s than '80s. But they probably did re-use the model name. Rear
> > derailleur almost looks like a modern slant-parallelogram, and looks at
> > least as new as a Nuevo Record.
> >
> > From the pic, those brakes are newer. I'm judging that based on the
> > barrel adjusters on the brake arches, which were not common until Campy
> > introduced them, and IIRC Universal did not have them in the '70s.
> >
> > I find it hard to believe that any road bike sold in the late '80s had a
> > 5-speed Regina freewheel. Those were headed out in the mid '70s.
> >
> > The saddle was probably replaced, but the rest of the bike seems to be
> > from around 1970 -- my guess, anyway. Damn good shape if it is anywhere
> > near that old.

> Campagnolo dumped the Valentino/Velox stuff in the mid
> seventies in favor of a New Gran Sport,later Gran Sport so
> indeed the name got reused. Not your early 60s Gran Sport
> at all.
>
> Originally, 1974, a beautiful 3-arm chromed steel crank
> (chainring bolts _not_ allen headed!) then an unremarkable
> 3-arm sluminum then a downright ulgy 5-arm 144mm copy of the
> 1049a crank. BB is the Record ( thinner cups than Nuovo
> Record , no reverse crud-pump grooves)
>
> Rear changer began with a non-allen pivot version of the
> 1020a. Inscrutably, the front changer used all the small
> parts of the 1052/1, includingthe expensive body, except
> the outer arm was stamped not forged. Really ugly and not
> cheap either. Shift levers had a sculpted steel clamp,
> flared and larger than the simple Record band, and a knurled
> cover instead of the pretty wire-bail bolts. Same shift
> lever arm. Hubs were the Nuovo Tips we've been dicussing
> lately and the headset was a Record Track in a different
> package. Calipers had a Record-quality arm but a binary
> release rather than the nice works-in-any-position cam of
> Record. Brake levers are Record with a black hood.
>
> Universal #51 (50s)and the pretty version, Super 68,(60s)
> adjusters are in the lever. Universal AER, 125 and CX ('70s)
> are too. Only the model 77 adjusters are on the caliper.
> Universal supplied the same levers with adjusters for
> sidepull calipers and also with their nice #61 centerpull.
>
> Nisi was a popular brand with uneven quality. Riders sought
> their overly lightened models ( partially drilled through
> the tire bed between spoke holes!) because riders always
> demmmsnd j, wheelbuilders dreaded them. Even Nisi's special
> nylon/steel nipple washer didn't slow the crack propagation
>
> I think this equipment looks like 1978~1980.

The rear-changer looks like a 980, not Nuovo GS. If the frame is unmarked
the tubeset could be from Falck or Oria. The front-changer with the flat
(stamped) outer arm is in a supplement catalog as "Nuovo Valentino". There
are two Gran Sport front-changers in catalog no.17, a renamed NR (1052/1)
and the old box-type (2050).

Michael

dynohubbill wrote:
> Since the seatpost diameter is 26.4 what would you expect the tubing to
> be? I have an early 70's Stella with tretubi Columbus main triangle.
> Seatpost diameter is 26.4 or 26.6 (I don't recall which, the bike is on
> loan to a friend and I don't have access to it). Antti said the frame
> alone weighs 2.4 Kg.
> p.s. when I try to pull up your web page
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/ebay/mcr.html
> I get a run time error message which keeps popping up and therefore
> cannot view the page effectively.

Hey Antti and Bill, et al, Try this!
http://www.yellowjersey.org/salonen.html

ps: this link

http://www.yellowjersey.org/ebay/mcr.html

works for me. Dunno.

And I believe the Stella to which you refer was both Metric
tube ( 27.2 becomes 26.8 in the same gauge) and either a
butted seat tube or a straight gauge tube set. They were
nicely built, straight, very well priced at the end but not
excessively light.

--

A Muzi <[email protected]> wrote:

> Hey Antti and Bill, et al, Try this!
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/salonen.html

Thanks a lot. The Gran Sport model at the bottom looks pretty much like
the same bike, although with a different paintjob. I got one of those
D'Alessandro tubulars with the bike (under the saddle as a spare) and
the 3T seatpost seems to be exactly the same. I guess this would date
the bike to the late 70's, but with some parts like the saddle having
been replaced later.

-as

"A Muzi" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> > A Muzi wrote:
> >>In that era first quality SP ( 27.0) and SL (27.2) frames
> >>weighed less than the 'tretubi" economy models (three tubes
> >>Columbus with heavier cheaper forks and stays) yet have the
> >>same post sizes.

> dynohubbill wrote:
> > Since the seatpost diameter is 26.4 what would you expect the

tubing to
> > be? I have an early 70's Stella with tretubi Columbus main

triangle.
> > Seatpost diameter is 26.4 or 26.6 (I don't recall which, the

bike is on
> > loan to a friend and I don't have access to it). Antti said

the frame
> > alone weighs 2.4 Kg.
> > p.s. when I try to pull up your web page
> > http://www.yellowjersey.org/ebay/mcr.html
> > I get a run time error message which keeps popping up and

therefore
> > cannot view the page effectively.
> >

> Hey Antti and Bill, et al, Try this!
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/salonen.html
>

> ps: this link
>
> http://www.yellowjersey.org/ebay/mcr.html
>
> works for me. Dunno.
>
> And I believe the Stella to which you refer was both Metric
> tube ( 27.2 becomes 26.8 in the same gauge) and either a
> butted seat tube or a straight gauge tube set. They were
> nicely built, straight, very well priced at the end but not
> excessively light.

Andrew, it must be a hoot looking through your basesment. I had
no idea Guerciotti had so many models. -- Jay Beattie.