Early 80's Raleigh Rear Wheel Question...

busykid321

Sep 1, 2010
I have recently attained a Raleigh road bike from what I believe is around 1980 or possibly a few years earlier. Right now the only major functional problem is the rear wheel is very bent. It is so bent it wobbles and touches the frame on either side....

My question is in regards to what kind of rear wheel I can get to replace it. I've done some light research but haven't found anything beneficial yet. Does anyone know of any good sources or retailers that I can contact to order a new one???

The tire size now is a 27"x1-1/4 right now.

Thank You for your time!

judging by the tire size you need a wheel with a 630 mm rim, not the more common 622 mm of today. As you say road bike you probably have a freewheel on the back, which usually can be unscrewed and moved over to a new wheel. So a 27" (630 mm) wheel with a freewheel hub should do the trick. Order it through your lbs and they will quite likely move your freewheel over for no extra charge.

It is possible to get only a new rim, but having the hub rebuilt int the new rim will most likely cost more than buying a wheel.

Staying with the original size eliminates any possible issues with brake reach, which you might encounter if you were to go with a 622 wheel.

Removing freewheels is simple in theory, but they tend to be stuck on there quite bad. It usually takes serious force, applied with some consideration to shift them - along with the correct tool. If you haven't got the tool already you might as well have the lbs do it.

Visit your LBS and have them rebuild the wheel for you. They will either reuse the hub and rim with new spokes, or if the rim is badly bent, they may replace it also.

kdelong said:
Visit your LBS and have them rebuild the wheel for you. They will either reuse the hub and rim with new spokes, or if the rim is badly bent, they may replace it also.
I agree. If you buy a new wheel, the hub width will probably be 130 mm, although your frame is made for a hub width of 126 mm. By rebuilding your old wheel, you will have a wheel with the correct (for your frame) hub width of 126 mm.