Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club ("Morning Glory" ride)

Garrison Hilliard

Guest
Early-bird bike ride helps Sierra Club
Good Things Happening

The Enquirer

The Morning Glory Ride this year starts at 6 a.m. Aug. 7 at Sawyer Point.

About 2,000 riders are expected to bike 25 miles through downtown Cincinnati,
Covington, Newport and to Lunken Airport.

The ride will feature such bikers as Marty Pulmbo, coming from Columbus, Ind.,
with his entire family. Pulmbo has been riding in the event since 1988.

Steve Rindsberg of Fairview, who organizes the volunteers, will be here. He saw
a biker almost die in front of him several years ago. An emergency medical team
was available, and the biker was cared for.

Rich Koehl, who owns Koehl's Bike Shop, will be in the event with all of his
employees who have already printed their own T-shirts.

Andy Addison of Harrison is expected to ride the same bike he rode 20 years ago.

Anne Safdi of Hyde Park will ride as a family tradition with her husband, two
sons and a daughter.

Cammy Dierking, news anchor for Channel 12, is the grand marshal. Honorary
chairwoman is former Cincinnati Mayor Roxanne Qualls.

Riders can register online or download a form at www.MorningGloryRide.org.

They should register online before Aug. 3 or register at the ride beginning at
4:30 a.m. They may also register Aug. 4 from noon until 4 p.m.

All activities will be at Butler Street in the Yeatman's Cove area.

A breakfast, courtesy of Wild Oats, and T-shirts will be provided to riders at a
cost of $25 for adults and $15 for youths. Proceeds from the event benefit the
local chapter of the Sierra Club, an environmental group of 6,000 members. The
club sponsors more than 300 outings a year, including hiking, backpacking, car
camping, biking, canoeing, kayaking and service projects. It also sponsors the
Inner City Outings, a community outreach program that provides opportunities for
disadvantaged children to explore and enjoy the natural world.

For more information, call Suzanne Lawrence at (513) 967-1007 or Jim Paul at
(513) 221-1270.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20050705/NEWS0105/507050330/1061/NEWS0102

Great... a bike ride to support a strongly anti-bicycle organization.
Just what we need.

Coming next year... the Mike Vandemann fund-raising mountain bike ride!

>Great... a bike ride to support a strongly anti-bicycle organization.
>Just what we need.
>
>Coming next year... the Mike Vandemann fund-raising mountain bike ride!

Vandeman does not speak for the Sierra Club. The Sierra Club has censured
Vandeman in the past for being such an a**hole. The Sierra Club's national
magazine regularly publishes articles about bicycle touring, bicycle
commuting, and even mountain biking.

I don't understand the SC at all. When I joined a number of years ago
it seemed that what my membership mainly got me was more pieces of mail
asking for more money. In recent years infighting among various board
factions makes it unclear what the SC is all about and what it stand on
many issues might be. I think that it is not at all the group it was 20
years ago. I pretty much ignore them at this point.

You could surf over to the SC website and check out where they stand on
issues. You could go further to your local Group's website and see what's
cookin' in your local area. I, for one, was surprised the group in
Cincinnatti has 6000 members. Here in Louisville, right down the road, we
don't have a third of that.

If you want an explanation of their anti-bicycle message, pick up any
mountain biking magazine and ask yourself if you'd like to share a quiet
hike with the pimply faced adolescents doing big air off of anything and
everything they can find. We bikers are our own worst enemy in mountain
biking issues.

If you "pretty much ignore them at this point", do you at least still send
in your money <GGGGGG>?

--
Snake
Louisville, KY