Early handicapping for the TdF



Status
Not open for further replies.
R

Robert Chung

Guest
Okay, so it appears that Coast has grabbed a Top Club spot meaning that they get a free pass into
the Grand Tours.

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jan03/jan11news takes a stab at who the other automatic
qualifiers are. They say:

iBanesto Cofidis Coast CSC Fassa Gerolsteiner Lotto-Domo ONCE Rabobank USPS dingleBerry Kelme
Telekom Alessio Sidermec (formerly, Tacconi)

Now the plot thickens. For 2003, the Tour will take 22 teams. The list above is 14, which leaves 8
spots. I figure Quick Step will be a shoo-in. It'll be hard to turn down Cipollini's Domina Vacanze.
There are five other French division 1 teams (Ag2R, Credit Agricole, FDJ, Jean Delatour, and Let
them eat Brioche) and this is the centenary edition, so they're all in.

That leaves one spot. The likely candidates are: Euskaltel (with Extebarria) Lampre (Casagrande)
Saeco (Simoni) Phonak (Camenzind)

Lampre didn't fire Rumsas, so they're out. Euskaltel didn't show well last year. Phonak comes from
the wrong part of Switzerland.

Saeco gets the final spot.
 
On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:28:23 +0100, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Saeco gets the final spot.

I hope you're right. They're our best bet for entertainment in the event of another Lance-USPS
domination.

-Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen
 
That sounds like something they told the sponsors, with the hope they bought
it.

"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Telekom thinks they will be the factor with Savoldelli - Botero - Evans
all
> peaking for the Tour, Savoldelli won't defend his Giro win.
>
> "Normally" this is a losing plan.
 
"Bart" <[email protected]> wrote
> Telekom thinks they will be the factor with Savoldelli - Botero - Evans
all
> peaking for the Tour, Savoldelli won't defend his Giro win.
>
> "Normally" this is a losing plan.

Yeah, I read this, too. This was similar to ONCE's plan last year.
 
"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> Top Sirloin <[email protected]> wrote
> > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >Saeco gets the final spot.
> >
> > I hope you're right. They're our best bet for entertainment in the event
of
> > another Lance-USPS domination.
>
> Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
Cipollini.

McEwen switched teams?
 
>> Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
> Cipollini.
>
> McEwen switched teams?
>
>

Besides McEwen... it's January and he's already written off Zabel Petacchi Furlan Cooke
Freire O'Grady
 
"gord woolley" > wrote in message
> Besides McEwen... it's January and he's already written off O'Grady

Patrick put down the beer and took up sprinting??? Who knew?

Howzabout handicapping:
A. Sponsor most likely to melt down when squad unlisted for Tour
B. # of Kilometers in to first road stage when Spotted **** leaps for hill prime
C. # of riders McEwen decks in first finishing sprint
D. Who finishes more riders- Jean Delatour, or Lotto-Domo

-Chris Mitchell -picked up Patrick's beer, hoping no one spat in it
 
"Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>
> "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
> > Top Sirloin <[email protected]> wrote
> > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:
> > >
> > > >Saeco gets the final spot.
> > >
> > > I hope you're right. They're our best bet for entertainment in the
event
> of
> > > another Lance-USPS domination.
> >
> > Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
> Cipollini.
>
> McEwen switched teams?

The story from down under was completed in Zolder. When it came time to pass he pulled out and fell
back so fast you'd have thought he was putting the brakes on.

Quaranta is the only I've ever seen make up time on Cipo when he's on a good leadout.
 
All great sprinters but not in the same league with Mario.

"gord woolley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:BA4899B2.1F8D4%[email protected]...
> >> Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
> > Cipollini.
> >
> > McEwen switched teams?
> >
> >
>
> Besides McEwen... it's January and he's already written off Zabel Petacchi Furlan Cooke
> Freire O'Grady
 
Gee, how many people should bother to show up for that tour day france thing? We gots an Eyetanlyan
to take the sprints and an american to take the overall, and some other skinny dudes to gloify the
mountain stages. Everyone else is wasting their time, pack filler...

Tom Kunich - International Cycling Analyst and sometimes racist.

"Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> All great sprinters but not in the same league with Mario.
>
> "gord woolley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:BA4899B2.1F8D4%[email protected]...
> > >> Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
> > > Cipollini.
> > >
> > > McEwen switched teams?
> > >
> > >
> >
> > Besides McEwen... it's January and he's already written off Zabel Petacchi Furlan Cooke Freire
> > O'Grady
> >
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Similar threads