Early handicapping for the TdF

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Robert Chung, Jan 23, 2003.

  1. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Okay, so it appears that Coast has grabbed a Top Club spot meaning that they get a free pass into
    the Grand Tours.

    http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/?id=2003/jan03/jan11news takes a stab at who the other automatic
    qualifiers are. They say:

    iBanesto Cofidis Coast CSC Fassa Gerolsteiner Lotto-Domo ONCE Rabobank USPS dingleBerry Kelme
    Telekom Alessio Sidermec (formerly, Tacconi)

    Now the plot thickens. For 2003, the Tour will take 22 teams. The list above is 14, which leaves 8
    spots. I figure Quick Step will be a shoo-in. It'll be hard to turn down Cipollini's Domina Vacanze.
    There are five other French division 1 teams (Ag2R, Credit Agricole, FDJ, Jean Delatour, and Let
    them eat Brioche) and this is the centenary edition, so they're all in.

    That leaves one spot. The likely candidates are: Euskaltel (with Extebarria) Lampre (Casagrande)
    Saeco (Simoni) Phonak (Camenzind)

    Lampre didn't fire Rumsas, so they're out. Euskaltel didn't show well last year. Phonak comes from
    the wrong part of Switzerland.

    Saeco gets the final spot.

    Tags:

  2. Top Sirloin

    Top Sirloin Guest

    On Mon, 13 Jan 2003 15:28:23 +0100, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Saeco gets the final spot.

    I hope you're right. They're our best bet for entertainment in the event of another Lance-USPS
    domination.

    -Scott Johnson "Always with the excuses for small legs. People like you are why they only open the
    top half of caskets." -Tommy Bowen

  3. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    That sounds like something they told the sponsors, with the hope they bought
    it.

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Telekom thinks they will be the factor with Savoldelli - Botero - Evans
    all
    > peaking for the Tour, Savoldelli won't defend his Giro win.
    >
    > "Normally" this is a losing plan.

  4. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Bart" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Telekom thinks they will be the factor with Savoldelli - Botero - Evans
    all
    > peaking for the Tour, Savoldelli won't defend his Giro win.
    >
    > "Normally" this is a losing plan.

    Yeah, I read this, too. This was similar to ONCE's plan last year.

  5. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    > Top Sirloin <[email protected]> wrote
    > > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Saeco gets the final spot.
    > >
    > > I hope you're right. They're our best bet for entertainment in the event
    of
    > > another Lance-USPS domination.
    >
    > Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
    Cipollini.

    McEwen switched teams?

  6. Gord Woolley

    Gord Woolley Guest

    >> Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
    > Cipollini.
    >
    > McEwen switched teams?

    Besides McEwen... it's January and he's already written off Zabel Petacchi Furlan Cooke
    Freire O'Grady

  7. "gord woolley" > wrote in message
    > Besides McEwen... it's January and he's already written off O'Grady

    Patrick put down the beer and took up sprinting??? Who knew?

    Howzabout handicapping:
    A. Sponsor most likely to melt down when squad unlisted for Tour
    B. # of Kilometers in to first road stage when Spotted Dick leaps for hill prime
    C. # of riders McEwen decks in first finishing sprint
    D. Who finishes more riders- Jean Delatour, or Lotto-Domo

    -Chris Mitchell -picked up Patrick's beer, hoping no one spat in it

  8. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Tom Kunich" <[email protected]> wrote
    > > Top Sirloin <[email protected]> wrote

    > > > I hope you're right. They're our best bet for entertainment in the
    event
    > of
    > > > another Lance-USPS domination.
    > >
    > > Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
    > Cipollini.
    >
    > McEwen switched teams?

    The story from down under was completed in Zolder. When it came time to pass he pulled out and fell
    back so fast you'd have thought he was putting the brakes on.

    Quaranta is the only I've ever seen make up time on Cipo when he's on a good leadout.

  9. Tom Kunich

    Tom Kunich Guest

    All great sprinters but not in the same league with Mario.

    "gord woolley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:BA4899B2.1F8D4%[email protected]...
    > >> Also they have the only sprinter capable of going head to head with
    > > Cipollini.
    > >
    > > McEwen switched teams?
    > >

    > Besides McEwen... it's January and he's already written off Zabel Petacchi Furlan Cooke
    > Freire O'Grady

  10. Chris M

    Chris M Guest

    Gee, how many people should bother to show up for that tour day france thing? We gots an Eyetanlyan
    to take the sprints and an american to take the overall, and some other skinny dudes to gloify the
    mountain stages. Everyone else is wasting their time, pack filler...

    Tom Kunich - International Cycling Analyst and sometimes racist.