Early hayfever?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Stephen Pridgeo, Apr 9, 2003.

  1. OMG, It's only just turned April. For a couple of weeks at the end of Mar I had sore throat, and a
    nose like Niagra. Cycling was like inhaling swarf. I put it down to being unable to loose a cold.

    Just had four days in Madrid. Drank, ate and smoked to excess every night. Throat, eyes and chest
    absolutely fine, nose ran.

    Within twenty four hours of arriving in the UK the throat was jiggered again.

    Thinking about it now, I'm starting to be convinced it's hayfever. I've only really started
    suffering from it in the past 5 years, so I always forget that I'm suseptible to it.

    Are any other hayfever sufferers getting symptoms so early in the year? And can anyone recommend
    anything to give me relief?

    SteveP

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    stephen pridgeon wrote:
    > Are any other hayfever sufferers getting symptoms so early in the year?

    I always get some hayfever in the spring (probably due to tree polen). Spring has come early this
    and recent years because of the mild weather.

    > And can anyone recommend anything to give me relief?

    Wish I could. Antihistihowdyouspellem don't seem to help me a great deal (if at all). Just keep
    washing those gloves :)

    ~PB

  3. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    "stephen pridgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > OMG, It's only just turned April. For a couple of weeks at the end of Mar I had sore throat, and a
    > nose like Niagra. Cycling was like inhaling swarf. I put it down to being unable to loose a cold.
    >
    > Just had four days in Madrid. Drank, ate and smoked to excess every night. Throat, eyes and chest
    > absolutely fine, nose ran.
    >
    > Within twenty four hours of arriving in the UK the throat was jiggered again.
    >
    > Thinking about it now, I'm starting to be convinced it's hayfever. I've only really started
    > suffering from it in the past 5 years, so I always forget that I'm suseptible to it.
    >
    > Are any other hayfever sufferers getting symptoms so early in the year? And can anyone recommend
    > anything to give me relief?
    >
    > SteveP

    Yes, hayfever's struck for me. Early tree pollen, coupled with fields of rape already in flower.
    Can't really recommend anything, I tend to just suffer through the worst of it given most remedies
    either don't work or make me too sleepy.

    Velvet

  4. Saint

    Saint Guest

    > stephen pridgeon wrote:
    > > Are any other hayfever sufferers getting symptoms so early in the year?
    >
    > I always get some hayfever in the spring (probably due to tree polen). Spring has come early this
    > and recent years because of the mild weather.
    >
    > > And can anyone recommend anything to give me relief?
    >
    > Wish I could. Antihistihowdyouspellem don't seem to help me a great deal (if at all). Just keep
    > washing those gloves :)
    >
    > ~PB

    Stepehen/Pete

    I am the same and have definitely noticed the onset over the last week or so.

    Try Beconase nasal spray - bloody expensive but does it for me. For your eyes I find Opticrom is
    pretty good too.

    Cheers,

    Saint

  5. On Wed, 9 Apr 2003 16:19:08 +0000 (UTC), "Saint" <[email protected]> in
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Try Beconase nasal spray - bloody expensive but does it for me. For your eyes I find Opticrom is
    >pretty good too.

    I have also heard of smearing vaseline under your nose to catch the offending particles.

    I am not a sufferer, so have never tried this method.

    Love and pollen from Rich x

    --
    Two fish suddenly swim into a brick wall. Damn! To reply put only the word "richard" before
    the @ sign

  6. Terry

    Terry Guest

    > Yes, hayfever's struck for me. Early tree pollen, coupled with fields of rape already in flower.
    > Can't really recommend anything, I tend to just

    close fitting safety glasses and filter mask should make a considerable difference.

    TerryJ

  7. Velvet

    Velvet Guest

    "Terry" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > > Yes, hayfever's struck for me. Early tree pollen, coupled with fields
    of
    > > rape already in flower. Can't really recommend anything, I tend to just
    >
    > close fitting safety glasses and filter mask should make a considerable
    difference.

    > TerryJ

    Perhaps, but I'd rather put up with the symptoms I get (mostly mild to moderate, only verging on
    extreme if I deliberatly inflict a pollen-high environment on myself) rather than wander around in
    that lot all the time ;-) Then again, having had hayfever for at least the last 18 years tends to
    make me think some times it would be nice to have a body transplant :)

    Velvet

  8. "Velvet" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > "stephen pridgeon" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > OMG, It's only just turned April. For a couple of weeks at the end of Mar I had sore throat,
    > > and a nose like Niagra. Cycling was like inhaling swarf. I put it down to being unable to loose
    > > a cold.
    > >
    > > Just had four days in Madrid. Drank, ate and smoked to excess every night. Throat, eyes and
    > > chest absolutely fine, nose ran.
    > >
    > > Within twenty four hours of arriving in the UK the throat was jiggered again.
    > >
    > > Thinking about it now, I'm starting to be convinced it's hayfever. I've only really started
    > > suffering from it in the past 5 years, so I always forget that I'm suseptible to it.
    > >
    > > Are any other hayfever sufferers getting symptoms so early in the year? And can anyone recommend
    > > anything to give me relief?
    > >
    > > SteveP
    >
    > Yes, hayfever's struck for me. Early tree pollen, coupled with fields of rape already in flower.
    > Can't really recommend anything, I tend to just suffer through the worst of it given most remedies
    > either don't work or make me too sleepy.
    >
    > Velvet

    Well thanks folks - I was half hoping that everyone would say that it really is just a cold. It's
    not just the gloves, it's the jacket, the tights, and I nearly had to do someone elses washing last
    week when I gobbed the stuff out and the wind caught it.

    A visit to the Doc's is in order I think. I've read bad things about using nasal spray too much, but
    I'll give it a go for TTs and riding.

    SteveP

  9. In message <[email protected]>, Terry <[email protected]> writes
    >> Yes, hayfever's struck for me. Early tree pollen, coupled with fields of rape already in flower.
    >> Can't really recommend anything, I tend to just
    >
    >close fitting safety glasses and filter mask should make a considerable difference.

    Only if it's tight enough to keep most of the oxygen out...

    Antihistamines, one pill a day, usually work. Steroid sprays more hassle, slower to take effect, but
    usually OK. Rynacrom and Opticrom may be good. Steroid injections definitely a last resort - they do
    work but there was a jolly little article in the BMJ, "Depot corticosteroid treatment for hay fever
    causing avascular necrosis of both hips", http://bmj.com/cgi/content/full/322/7302/1589

    - which may or may not be correct about a causal link but certainly makes me feel a bit unhappy
    about jamming the steroids in. Immunotherapy? Dodgy, too many severe reactions, almost none
    available in the UK anyway.

    --
    Richard Keatinge

    http://www.keatinge.net

  10. Andy Welch

    Andy Welch Guest

    On 9-Apr-2003, [email protected] (stephen pridgeon) wrote:

    > Are any other hayfever sufferers getting symptoms so early in the year? And can anyone recommend
    > anything to give me relief?

    Sure. Move to Scotland.

    Seriously, I used to suffer from early season hay fever when I lived in

    don't get summer up here (despite what the met office would have you believe). But I guess we don't
    grow what ever it was that was bugging me.

    Cheers,

    Andy

  11. Antony

    Antony Guest

    Over the years I've tried everything , including the steroid injections....which were more hassle
    than the hayfever. The best plan I've come up with is Reptil eye drops (on prescription but bloody
    miraculous) neurophen for the headache and Boots decongestant for the rest. Quite a coctail i admit
    but I try to avoid all medicins for the rest of the year to make up for it. Good luck. Antony