Early morning ride - what is a good pre-ride meal

Jakobud

Jul 1, 2011
If I'm going to go on an early morning 40 mile ride, what is a good recommendation for meal or substance of some kind before I ride? I really don't know much about nutrition or what kinds of foods will slow me down or give me a boost for a couple hours. Are there supplement shakes I should be drinking before or after?

I eat about 2+ cups of oatmeal. (non-instant)
It seems to stick around better and it seems that when this question has come up in the past many people have posted oatmeal.
It does not seem to have a negative impact on performance.

I use a post ride whey protein drink. I am not making an endorsement, but the reason I use one is that I typically have a longer commute home and I want to get a fast absorbing protein in the system for recovery. I may eat a cliff bar post ride if I did not eat enough carbs during the ride. Even though carbs are essential post ride recovery many people seem to eat too much, but that is something each individual has to figure out based on a number of variables.

If you ride from home or nearby you probably do not need post ride recovery drinks since you may have immediate access to solid food.

For recovery there is what experts call a "window of opportunity" that occurs following the first couple of hours after training. That is the crucial point for nutrition.

I like oatmeal too, but I'm lazy and use the instant kind. /img/vbsmilies/smilies/wink.gif

Oatmeal gives good steady energy over a longer period of time, rather than just a quick shot of energy for a short duration, and it's easy on my stomach during a ride. I usually try to eat at least 90 min before a ride to give time for digestion.

I liked this post because I have the same dilemma and I've been trying to figure out the balance. What are you folks eating during your longer (50+) rides? This is where I struggle and think I'm coming up short. I should be fully hydrated, even in summer humidity, but my muscles seem to be asking for more. Any suggestions?

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

For recovery there is what experts call a "window of opportunity" that occurs following the first couple of hours after training. That is the crucial point for nutrition.
The sooner the better and I still stick by the "rules" of downing a bottle within the first 20 minutes after the ride - aka 'my 'window of opportunity'. I personally think that anything over an hour is too long of a wait.

My post ride bottle gets made at the same time as the bottles I take with me on my ride. For bigger rides that are 5+hours long and away from home, two bottles are made and stuffed in the cooler. I know which bottles are which because of different coloured caps. Red for ride, blue for recovery... Typically, my recovery drink is 2 scoops of Hammer Whey and 2 scoops of Hammer HEED lemon/lime and 2 pico-scoops of endurolyte power. If I'm eating immediately after the ride then I'll just put one scoop of HEED in.

The wife thinks I'm nuts but on very hot days - 100F+ I go straight from the bike, to the fridge to get the bottle and then to the shower to cool off... and the bottle goes with me, resting ontop of the shower door frame when I'm not drinking from it.

Pre-ride I normally just have a fairly big bowl of cereal with a banana. A few cups of coffee round things off... In the winter I'll just have a couple of packets of maple flavoured instant oatmeal and a banana..

Originally Posted by CapeJAN .

I liked this post because I have the same dilemma and I've been trying to figure out the balance. What are you folks eating during your longer (50+) rides? This is where I struggle and think I'm coming up short. I should be fully hydrated, even in summer humidity, but my muscles seem to be asking for more. Any suggestions?
My go to pre-race or pre long ride meal is oatmeal along with a couple of eggs. It sticks with me for several hours and as long as I eat it at least two hours before a hard race it sits just fine.

While riding I've had great success with Clif Shot Bloks: http://www.clifbar.com/food/products_shot_bloks/

Two or three bloks every half hour after the first hour or so of riding gets me through long days and long races really nicely. I'll generally have one water bottle with an electrolyte drink (Hammer, HEED is my favorite) and one with plain water and then take handups in feed zones during races or stop and refill the water during long training rides.

For really long rides as in anything over 120 miles or so I like some real food during the day as in a turkey or roast beef sandwich or something else with protein, some substance and something other than fruit or energy food. Similarly towards the end of a long day I like to fill a bottle with Coke or Pepsi, let it go flat with the bottle opened up. The sugar and caffeine tends to pull me through during the late hours of really long rides in the 8+ hour range.

But you can get through long rides on a wide range of pocket food and drink options. Back in the day bananas, other fruit and things like fig newtons were pretty standard fare and still work well in a pinch. Any of the PowerBar, ClifBar, style pocket foods work well if you like the taste and texture and you can do just fine stopping at convenience stores along the way and picking up snack food. I remember seeing a TV piece on Greg Lemond many years ago where they followed him out on a long training ride. Late in the day he stopped in a 7-11 and scarfed down a handful of Hostess fruit pies before jumping back on the bike to do more miles. Point is there's a lot of food that gets the job done and as long as it's not too fatty or heavy we digest pretty well while out riding so the key is getting enough calories on board throughout the day.

And as others have said, if you plan on training on subsequent days then don't miss the critical half hour refueling window after your ride. That's the best time to replenish spent muscle glycogen as glycogen resynthesis rates are maxed out after a long or hard ride but that window closes after a while and then it takes longer to replenish your precious glycogen stores. Any relatively high GI drink along with some protein gets the job done. Lowfat chocolate milk is a great post ride refueling option and my go to when racing away from home but there are plenty of commercial replenishment drinks with good carb/protein blends and things like fruit smoothies with some yogurt or protein powder added work nicely as well.

-Dave

Originally Posted by swampy1970 .

The sooner the better and I still stick by the "rules" of downing a bottle within the first 20 minutes after the ride - aka 'my 'window of opportunity'. I personally think that anything over an hour is too long of a wait.
I totally agree or I do as it applies to me. I take in a recovery drink within minutes of getting off the bike.

When I was younger I used to drink a glass of milk as I got dressed and then eat 2 slices of toast as I walked to my bicycle. Now that I am old I eat 2 waffles and a glass of milk. And I could and can always forgo food until 50 riding miles into my day.

But for the most part I think any food consumption schedule that you maintain regularly will work.

Originally Posted by An old Guy .

But for the most part I think any food consumption schedule that you maintain regularly will work.
+1 above
I eat the same breakfast every day. I have an omelet made with a quater of cup of eggbeaters and one egg, sauteed fresh veggies. two slices of cheese on a whole grain english muffin. I jump on my bike about an hour after I eat. No problems digesting its my regular schedule and it works for me.

Originally Posted by Felt_Rider .

I eat about 2+ cups of oatmeal. (non-instant)
It seems to stick around better and it seems that when this question has come up in the past many people have posted oatmeal.
It does not seem to have a negative impact on performance.

I use a post ride whey protein drink. I am not making an endorsement, but the reason I use one is that I typically have a longer commute home and I want to get a fast absorbing protein in the system for recovery. I may eat a cliff bar post ride if I did not eat enough carbs during the ride. Even though carbs are essential post ride recovery many people seem to eat too much, but that is something each individual has to figure out based on a number of variables.

If you ride from home or nearby you probably do not need post ride recovery drinks since you may have immediate access to solid food.

i just recently got into the habit of taking good care of myself... quit smoking quit eating fast food and basically starting fresh... I started biking a week ago and its been great... i feel way more energized compared to a week before that whenever I come home from work i immediately hit the bed because of stress and fatigue... or that's what i thought... so for a week now I have been out and about and I've been asking myself what food to eat before I start my cycle... what I eat is just about anything I will find in the fridge... wheat bread with peanut butter and jelly... apples and bananas... leftovers... so thanks for asking this question for me... I will start having oatmeal on my next ride tomorrow and probably some bananas... i need to find a good energy drink though coz i dont think we have heed where im located... prolly start with gatorade!

Originally Posted by sutanrii .

i just recently got into the habit of taking good care of myself... quit smoking quit eating fast food and basically starting fresh... I started biking a week ago and its been great... i feel way more energized compared to a week before that whenever I come home from work i immediately hit the bed because of stress and fatigue... or that's what i thought... so for a week now I have been out and about and I've been asking myself what food to eat before I start my cycle... what I eat is just about anything I will find in the fridge... wheat bread with peanut butter and jelly... apples and bananas... leftovers... so thanks for asking this question for me... I will start having oatmeal on my next ride tomorrow and probably some bananas... i need to find a good energy drink though coz i dont think we have heed where im located... prolly start with gatorade!
Hammer Nutrition has a dealer locator on their website: http://www.hammernutrition.com/

I'm an Oatmeal guy too. It agrees with me...

While riding I've used the Gu's and Blocks but now I'm eating the Stinger Waffles! They're like Crack! Flippin love them! I fumbled my last bite on a ride and add no problem wheeling my bike around a scooping that bad boy right of the ground.

10 second rule!

I need something quick and easy to prepare and eat cause if I do not get out my door fast enough CP will start letting in cars by 730am so 2 slices of toast with some PB/J or Nutella. A cup of tea either cold or hot, hot preferred. Fell in love with the Hammer HEED also during the ride. My only issue is I usually always have to go to the bathroom right before I am about about to walk out the door! ugh! :(

-js

I only have a short 14k ride each morning, six days a week. A cup of tea and a banana and a couple of gulps of water before I set off and a pint of fifty fifty orange juice and water as soon as I get in.

Is this where I'm going wrong.....

Regards

david

Short rides - 25 miles or less - coffee, yogurt, oj prior to. Water during. Anything and everything I can stuff in my face after. Sausage, eggs, cheese, hash, english muffins and fruit yesterday. Longer rides, say 25-60 miles: Whole grain bagel with peanut butter and honey. Lotsa carbs plus some protein. Also OJ and coffee, of course. If time to digest (for me an hour or so) will add an egg for more protein. During: alternate water and sweet drink of choice. Switch to water only later in ride. High density snacks during ride, could use fancy athlete stuff or try anything that is calorie-dense but does not feel icky on the tum. Lately, I like string cheese and coconut-date bars. MMM. After a medium ride, as above, stuff your face, but eat more calories than you think you need. Likewise with the water. Very long rides - have the above breakfast. Go ahead and spend your dough on your preference of the high-technology performance foods for during this ride. After, if you pushed it hard enough, you will not feel like eating heavily, but you will need carbs and protein - I like sweet teriyaki jerkeys or wasabi almonds. Then cheese curds or a milkshake. Nutritionally dense but easy on the tum. Then, eat all the pasta and eggs and soy and meat and veg you can get your hands on when The Hunger strikes. Regardless of ride length. don't forget the coffee if you usually drink it (nobobdy likes a caffeine withdrawal syndrome halfway through their ride, and it won't affect your performance), drink way more water than you think you need. Try not to buy ridiculously-priced space-age food-like-objects unless you have a reason to do so.

The majority of what you are going to burn on a ride needs to be already in you the day before.

On a long ride you have to supplement but you're always falling behind until you stop riding.

That's why we need engineered ntutirtion.

A glycogen supplement for loading and engineered protein source to make all of the amino acids immediately available
afterward.

carbo pro

and

RECOVER, are good, and expensive.

I see everyone is advocating coffee before a ride.

I'm a big time coffee drinker but I have always been reluctant to drink it before a ride (even on dawn patrol) due to the fact that it typically runs right through me and I want to avoid stopping for a natural break on a rides less than 3 hours if possible.

Do you find that you sweat it out like water, or does the diuretic do it's thing?

Originally Posted by Mojo Johnson .

I see everyone is advocating coffee before a ride.

I'm a big time coffee drinker but I have always been reluctant to drink it before a ride (even on dawn patrol) due to the fact that it typically runs right through me and I want to avoid stopping for a natural break on a rides less than 3 hours if possible.

Do you find that you sweat it out like water, or does the diuretic do it's thing?

+1 I won't drink coffee before a ride for the same reason.... /img/vbsmilies/smilies/redface.gif

If you're addicted to a drug (cafeine), you won't function very well without it.
If your mother drank cafeinated beverages while pregnant with you,
its a safe bet you are addicted to cafeine.

It has been known to evoke a good healthy bowel movement befOre the morning ride.

I think it does not have any significant diuretic effect, unless unusually high dosages are consumed.

But,

I'm Not Sure.

I read in a Runner's World once that the diuretic effect stops as soon as you start exercising. They said if you're used to a cup of coffee, have at it. I drink two cups in the morning before I do anything.