Early Morning rides

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by David Waters, Jun 12, 2004.

  1. David Waters

    David Waters Guest

    For some reason, I didn't go to sleep last night and come 4:30 decided
    to take the Galaxy for a spin. 5 miles miles to Salford quays and 5
    miles back again making a nice distance. Beautiful weather, clean crisp
    morning and had the roads pretty much to myself. Didn't bother stopping
    for red lights since there was literally nobody else on the roads. One
    of Manchester's busiest and most dangerous roundabouts by Old Trafford
    was totally deserted and at one point I had 4 lanes to myself! A lovely
    ride and well worth it.

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    David Waters wrote:
    > For some reason, I didn't go to sleep last night and come 4:30 decided
    > to take the Galaxy for a spin. 5 miles miles to Salford quays and 5
    > miles back again making a nice distance. Beautiful weather, clean crisp
    > morning and had the roads pretty much to myself. Didn't bother stopping
    > for red lights since there was literally nobody else on the roads. One
    > of Manchester's busiest and most dangerous roundabouts by Old Trafford
    > was totally deserted and at one point I had 4 lanes to myself! A lovely
    > ride and well worth it.

    Many years ago I used to work as a postman during the summer and cycled to
    work around that time. In the summer its a glorious time to cycle - not so
    hot in winter though.

    Tony

  3. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > not so
    > hot in winter though.

    Winter does tend to be like that ;-)

    James

  4. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    James Annan wrote:
    > Tony Raven wrote:
    >
    >> not so
    >> hot in winter though.

    > Winter does tend to be like that ;-)

    Not in Singapore ;-)

    Tony

  5. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "David Waters" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > For some reason, I didn't go to sleep last night and come 4:30 decided
    > to take the Galaxy for a spin. 5 miles miles to Salford quays and 5
    > miles back again making a nice distance. Beautiful weather, clean crisp
    > morning and had the roads pretty much to myself.

    Noticed a lot of roadies around this morning at 0800. I tend to go out
    early or in the evenings at this time of the year to avoid the midday sun.

    --
    Simon Mason
    Anlaby

  6. Allan Nelson

    Allan Nelson Guest

    Not sure I'd class myself a roadie but I went for a good ride today from
    Ulverston to Coniston, up to Skelwith, over Wrynose, Cockley Beck, Duddon
    Valley to Broughton, Foxfield (there's a great 'alternate' route - over the
    second level crossing in the village which brings you out near Kirkby - last
    few hundred yards are a bit rough, but the rest's fine).
    That's when bravado got the better of me and I went over Kirkby Moor (very
    steep climb from Kirkby). Not sure which was harder - that or Wrynose!

    Saw more than the usual number of cyclists out today - which was good.
    I seemed to cheer a few motorists up as they waited for me slogging up
    Wrynose too. Well they seemed to find it funny ;-)

    If ever you're up that way - there's a good cup of coffee and cake to be had
    at the Cockley Beck Farm house (where the Duddon Valley, Hardknott and
    Wrynose roads converge).

    Allan.
    ~~~
    http://www.bikeit.eclipse.co.uk/index.htm
    Italian Cycle tour reports and the home of...
    Cycling Before Lycra

    Simon Mason wrote:

    > Noticed a lot of roadies around this morning at 0800. I tend to go
    > out early or in the evenings at this time of the year to avoid the
    > midday sun.

  7. MSeries

    MSeries Guest

    David Waters wrote:
    > For some reason, I didn't go to sleep last night and come 4:30 decided
    > to take the Galaxy for a spin. 5 miles miles to Salford quays and 5
    > miles back again making a nice distance. Beautiful weather, clean
    > crisp morning and had the roads pretty much to myself. Didn't bother
    > stopping for red lights since there was literally nobody else on the
    > roads. One of Manchester's busiest and most dangerous roundabouts by
    > Old Trafford was totally deserted and at one point I had 4 lanes to
    > myself! A lovely ride and well worth it.

    I'm looking forward to Saturday when I hope to get on the road by 04:30 to
    do some silly mileage on nearly the longest day.

  8. Dave Kahn

    Dave Kahn Guest

    On Mon, 14 Jun 2004 18:31:39 +0100, "MSeries"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I'm looking forward to Saturday when I hope to get on the road by 04:30 to
    >do some silly mileage on nearly the longest day.

    Good scheme. There's a magical quality about a long, long ride.
    Everything changes: the light, the temperature, the traffic, the road,
    the scenery. The only constant is you on the bike.

    --
    Dave...

    Get a bicycle. You will not regret it. If you live. - Mark Twain