Early Season Woes

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by coldplay610, Mar 20, 2006.

1. coldplay610

coldplay610 New Member

Hey everyone, I'm sure that I'm not the only one busting my arse to get into form right now but I do have a small question which has never come up before this year. On several of my forty mile rides early in the year I felt as a little out of shape but nothing unusual in the first fifteen miles. However, from miles 15 to about 30 I was experiencing some horendous lower back pain. What could be the cause of this and what's the best way to go about fixing it? Thanks.

Tags:

2. Woofer

Woofer New Member

Same position and mileage as prior years?
    I think the number is something like every other American will experience back problems of some sort.
    This is such a broad question that almost anything could be the answer. If it's as bad as you describe you ought to consider seeing a doctor.
    What do you mean by horrendous - accompanied by shooting pain down the leg or numbness on one side or a very sharp pain near the spine or in the back muscles? Hurt enough to make you stop cycling? What are you doing off the bike workout wise? Are you lifting weights? Any change in workouts done prior to pain?

3. dhk

dhk New Member

I had this problem some years ago for several seasons in a row. Seems I'd go out in the big ring and push too soon in early spring, strain the lower back, and then have to nurse it for the next couple of months.

Solution for me was regular (daily) stretching and crunches/back exercise, as well as a trip to the gym for heavier core work once a week. It takes a few minutes a day (5-10 min), but it's worth it not to ride with back pain anymore.