early versus late Campagnolo Record 9 components

Lee

Guest
I understand that early (pre 2001) Record 9 components (shifter and rear derailleur) are not
compatible with late components (2001 and later).

How do you tell an early shifter from a late shifter? What significance does the carbon versus alloy
lever have?

How do you tell an early derailleur from a late derailleur?

Thanks!

Lee

> I understand that early (pre 2001) Record 9 components (shifter and rear derailleur) are not
> compatible with late components (2001 and later).

This is an assertion by Campagnolo that has proved to be completely false in reality. All Campy
parts from the last ten years or so are interchangeable, as long as you match chains and cassettes,
and shift disk with the cassette.

> How do you tell an early shifter from a late shifter? What significance
does
> the carbon versus alloy lever have?

There is a difference (besides price). The 1998 and 1999 levers (alloy) were the first levers to use
the new shape housing, and a component within them (the post on the "G" spring holder) is rather
delicate and prone to breakage. The replacement part (stronger than the original) is only about ten
dollars, and reasonably easy to fit. As a result though you can pick these levers up really cheap. I
bought a pair new for 110 pounds.

> How do you tell an early derailleur from a late derailleur?

It matters not, as all 8, 9, or 10 speed derailleurs will work with all levers.

Regards,

Suzy

--
---
Suzy Jackson [email protected] http://www.suzyj.net

I believe this is bunk. They're not "officially supported", probably because Campy wants you to run
out and buy all new stuff. But from the research I've done and read here (esp. from the experts
like Peter from Vecchio), it's pretty much all cross-compatible, even 8 vs. 9 derailleurs. For
example, I'm running a new Chorus derailleur (2002) with downtube 9-speed shifters (which haven't
been made for at least a year or two). Prior to the current derailleur, I was using an 8-speed
Chorus derailleur circa 1991 with the same 9-speed shifters, and it worked w/o a hitch. Don't
believe the hype!

"Lee" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> I understand that early (pre 2001) Record 9 components (shifter and rear derailleur) are not
> compatible with late components (2001 and later).
>
> How do you tell an early shifter from a late shifter? What significance
does
> the carbon versus alloy lever have?
>
> How do you tell an early derailleur from a late derailleur?

The Campagnolo marketing department started that rumor for their own reasons.

Many of us have been mixing and matching, even with poity-lever systems, consistently
without incident.

"Early" rear changers have an upper-pivot spring positioning screw behind and below the upper pivot.
"Late" changers have a lower pivot spring tension screw just below the lower pivot instead.

Lee-<< I understand that early (pre 2001) Record 9 components (shifter and rear derailleur) are not
compatible with late components (2001 and later).

Not true, in actual experience, using Campagnolo shifters and rders from various 'eras'. In fact any
ERGO will work with any rder, as long as both are after 1992 and both are Campagnolo..We use
2001/2/3 rders as replacement rders on all Campagnolo systems, including 1992/3 DT shifters(8s) and
also ERGO, w/o modification.

<< How do you tell an early shifter from a late shifter? What significance does the carbon versus
alloy lever have?

See above, no need to 'tell'-Record Carbon in 1999, same shifter, just carbon brake lever and 'faux'
carbon shift lever.

<< How do you tell an early derailleur from a late derailleur?

See above, don't believe some web sites that don't try things but just regurgitate info..