Earth Cycles Dragonflyer Pictures

Tom Sherman

Guest
EVSolutions wrote:

> Tom Can you email a pic of the Dragonflyer, when my PS crashed all my Dragonflyer pics went to
> heaven and I have been missing my view of the trike. The pic showing the MAXXIS label on the tires
> is good.
>
> Joshua

Dear Mr. Coyote (or may I call you Wile?),

Point you web browser to the following locations to download the pictures that Tony used for his
eBay auction (posted to "Incoming" with his permission).

<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df1a.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df2.jpg>,
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df3.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df4.jpg>,
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df7.jpg>,
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df8.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df9.jpg>,
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df10.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df11.jpg>,
<http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df12.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df13.jpg>.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:45:16 -0600, Tom Sherman
<[email protected]> wrote:

>Point you web browser to the following locations to download the pictures that Tony used for his
>eBay auction (posted to "Incoming" with his permission).

Tom, either your bike has an oil leak or somebody parked it while using one of those "urination
tubes." ;)

Dennis Tresenriter wrote:

> On Sat, 13 Dec 2003 09:45:16 -0600, Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> >Point you web browser to the following locations to download the pictures that Tony used for his
> >eBay auction (posted to "Incoming" with his permission).
>
> Tom, either your bike has an oil leak or somebody parked it while using one of those "urination
> tubes." ;)

Dennis,

You will have to ask Tony about the origin of the "leak".

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Thanks Tom

Pic #4 was my favorite. When my PC crashed I lost 6 gigs of trike& 2 wheel bent pics...this time I
burn everything as backup files.

Do you have any pics of you or anyone as handsome riding the trike...maybe on a country road, lots
of trees and a down slope...maybe not, with Mr.Dolan being an ex- Navy man and no doubt skilled with
a spear gun or harpoon, it might not be good to go riding off on the trails less travelled.

Trikes should get out of the city and be ridden on rural roads now and then, denying them a vacation
just makes them grumpy and hard to handle.

Joshua--Wile E.Cyote--Salmagundi
***************************

> EVSolutions wrote:
> >
> > Tom Can you email a pic of the Dragonflyer, when my PS crashed all my
Dragonflyer
> > pics went to heaven and I have been missing my view of the trike. The
pic
> > showing the MAXXIS label on the tires is good.
> >
> > Joshua
>
> Dear Mr. Coyote (or may I call you Wile?),
>
> Point you web browser to the following locations to download the pictures that Tony used for his
> eBay auction (posted to "Incoming" with his permission).
>
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df1a.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df2.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df3.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df4.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df7.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df8.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df9.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df10.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df11.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df12.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df13.jpg>.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

You have a beautiful machine there, Tom.

--
Bryan J. Ball Publisher/Editor 'BentRider Online Magazine www.bentrideronline.com

That is a beautifull bike. I like the way the bakc wheel is attached to the main frame.

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

[pictures of Dragonflyer]

> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df1a.jpg>,
[...]
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df13.jpg>.

This is one fine trike, Tom. Sort of triker ****. ;-)

The seat looks very comfortable, but are you happy without front fenders in the rain? During a
test-ride on a trice I remember the tires spraying al lot of mud and water on my arms und my body
when turning.

The tires seem to be sturdy and reliable, suited for all-round use. Hookworms?

Thanks for the pictures

Regards, Kurt

Too bad Bjorn wasn't in business long enough to really refine and tweak the
designs. Have there been any other builders that made (make) both bikes and
trikes (besides Optima and Sun)?
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> EVSolutions wrote:
> >
> > Tom Can you email a pic of the Dragonflyer, when my PS crashed all my
Dragonflyer
> > pics went to heaven and I have been missing my view of the trike. The
pic
> > showing the MAXXIS label on the tires is good.
> >
> > Joshua
>
> Dear Mr. Coyote (or may I call you Wile?),
>
> Point you web browser to the following locations to download the pictures that Tony used for his
> eBay auction (posted to "Incoming" with his permission).
>
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df1a.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df2.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df3.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df4.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df5.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df7.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df8.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df9.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df10.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df11.jpg>,
> <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df12.jpg>, <http://www.ihpva.org/incoming/2002/df13.jpg>.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"harv" <harv*no_spam*@spininternet.com> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Too bad Bjorn wasn't in business long enough to really refine and tweak
the
> designs. Have there been any other builders that made (make) both bikes
and
> trikes (besides Optima and Sun)?

M5 Organic Engines Just Two Bikes Haluzak Challenge (I think)

harv wrote:

> Too bad Bjorn wasn't in business long enough to really refine and tweak the designs. Have there
> been any other builders that made (make) both bikes and trikes (besides Optima and Sun)?

The name of Earth Cycles former designer/welder/proprietor is Shean Bjoralt.

There are several manufacturers that come to mind that have produced both bikes and trikes, but in
most the cases that I can think of, production has been heavily biased to one or the other.

Incomplete list: Counterpoint/Pashley [1], Greenspeed, Haluzak, Tri-Sled, RANS [2], Ross [3],
Ryan/HPM [4], S&B, Wicks.

[1] The Counterpoint Presto and Triad were resurrected by Pashley as the PDQ and PDQ 3,
respectively.
[2] If one counts the pedal/wind powered sailtrikes.
[3] A refined version of the Ross/Crystal Engineering trike is available as the ICE Trice Classic.
[4] The trike version of the Ryan Vanguard is now the HPM Tritan.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Bryan Ball wrote:

> You have a beautiful machine there, Tom.

It is obvious that Shean Bjoralt really cared about what he was doing, both in design and
production. It is unfortunate that Earth Cycles became financially non-viable.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Kurt Fischer wrote:

> This is one fine trike, Tom. Sort of triker ****. ;-)
>
> The seat looks very comfortable, but are you happy without front fenders in the rain? During a test-
> ride on a trice I remember the tires spraying al lot of mud and water on my arms und my body when
> turning.
>
> The tires seem to be sturdy and reliable, suited for all-round use. Hookworms?

Fenders are something that I will need to get before I ride in the rain. One problem with the trike
is that it is almost too nice to ride in the rain, off-road, etc.

The seat is very comfortable. It is similar to that used by Lightning, but is better sized (smaller
and lighter) for ectomorphs and mesomorphs than the LCD seat is.

The Hookworms certainly are not the fastest tires, but the suspension allows the use of full
inflation pressure without compromising comfort. They should also be almost indestructible and would
be a good choice for touring or use on poor urban streets or unimproved rural roads.

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

watsonglenn wrote:

> That is a beautifull bike. I like the way the bakc wheel is attached to the main frame.

Having the step-up jackshaft concentric with the swing arm pivot means that there is no pogo when
climbing hills (or at least none that I can detect).

Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Bryan Ball wrote:
> >
> > You have a beautiful machine there, Tom.
>
> It is obvious that Shean Bjoralt really cared about what he was doing, both in design and
> production. It is unfortunate that Earth Cycles became financially non-viable.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Many times technical people make bad business people.

Nice pictures Tom. Nice looking machine. You are the only one I know whose two wheel recumbent is
lower than his trike. But then, you always do things in a unique way. Hope to see it on one of the
rides next year.

Mike S. St. Louis, Mo.

Barcroft Virginia Barcroft Columbia RANS Rocket Trikeless but looking

Sorry about the name. I hoped you would post the right one. Thanks

Seeing your list jogged what brain sells I have left, and Steve Delaire should join the list. He
made the first trikes for Catrike, and I've seen references to his "comfort trike".

> harv wrote:
> >
> > Too bad Bjorn wasn't in business long enough to really refine and tweak
the
> > designs. Have there been any other builders that made (make) both bikes
and
> > trikes (besides Optima and Sun)?
>
> The name of Earth Cycles former designer/welder/proprietor is Shean Bjoralt.
>
> There are several manufacturers that come to mind that have produced both bikes and trikes, but in
> most the cases that I can think of, production has been heavily biased to one or the other.
>
> Incomplete list: Counterpoint/Pashley [1], Greenspeed, Haluzak, Tri-Sled, RANS [2], Ross [3],
> Ryan/HPM [4], S&B, Wicks.
>
> [1] The Counterpoint Presto and Triad were resurrected by Pashley as the PDQ and PDQ 3,
> respectively.
> [2] If one counts the pedal/wind powered sailtrikes.
> [3] A refined version of the Ross/Crystal Engineering trike is available as the ICE Trice Classic.
> [4] The trike version of the Ryan Vanguard is now the HPM Tritan.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Nice trike Tom,where do you hang the 10 gals of water that you always carry?
I like the looks of the seat ,do you have a source for new seat material
when needed? The back looks like the new RANS seat back.
Ben Fox
"Tom Sherman" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> harv wrote:
> >
> > Too bad Bjorn wasn't in business long enough to really refine and tweak
the
> > designs. Have there been any other builders that made (make) both bikes
and
> > trikes (besides Optima and Sun)?
>
> The name of Earth Cycles former designer/welder/proprietor is Shean Bjoralt.
>
> There are several manufacturers that come to mind that have produced both bikes and trikes, but in
> most the cases that I can think of, production has been heavily biased to one or the other.
>
> Incomplete list: Counterpoint/Pashley [1], Greenspeed, Haluzak, Tri-Sled, RANS [2], Ross [3],
> Ryan/HPM [4], S&B, Wicks.
>
> [1] The Counterpoint Presto and Triad were resurrected by Pashley as the PDQ and PDQ 3,
> respectively.
> [2] If one counts the pedal/wind powered sailtrikes.
> [3] A refined version of the Ross/Crystal Engineering trike is available as the ICE Trice Classic.
> [4] The trike version of the Ryan Vanguard is now the HPM Tritan.
>
> Tom Sherman - Planet Earth

Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote:

> Fenders are something that I will need to get before I ride in the rain. One problem with the
> trike is that it is almost too nice to ride in the rain, off-road, etc.

Problem? Which problem? You simply need another trike. ;-)

> The Hookworms certainly are not the fastest tires, but the suspension allows the use of full
> inflation pressure without compromising comfort. They should also be almost indestructible and
> would be a good choice for touring or use on poor urban streets or unimproved rural roads.

I've made this summer very good experiences with the 26" version of the Marathon SmartGuard on my
SWB. As soon as they will be available in 20" I will put them on my Antrotech. Not a single flat in
several thousand miles.

Regards,
Kurt

Ben Fox wrote:

> Nice trike Tom,where do you hang the 10 gals of water that you always carry? I like the looks of
> the seat ,do you have a source for new seat material when needed? The back looks like the new RANS
> seat back.

Ben,

In addition to the Dragonflyer specific pannier racks, a seat post trunk rack can be mounted (I have
a Delta Rack) on the tube that sticks up behind the seat. There is also a built-in trailer hitch
mounting point at the end of the left chainstay.

The seat pad [1] is an industrial hemp cover with a Sunfoam [TM] interior. It is not legal to
cultivate industrial hemp in the US, but the processed fibers may be imported, so getting a custom
sewn replacement would be possible.

Apparently the person who manufactured the seat mesh does not wish to repair or replace the mesh, so
a substitute would need to be found. I suspect that a sling mesh from Greenspeed, Rotator or another
manufacturer would work on the Earth Cycles seat frame.

[1] Some Earth Cycles owners just sit on the sling mesh directly.

Tom Sherman - 41 N, 90 W