Earth Cycles exit

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Wile E.Coyote, May 3, 2003.

  1. T.S.Didn't Shean drop off the planet without a trace (with) suppliers left unpaid and having the
    deposit $ from some customers? I wouldn't know if he still had any of the cash in his pocket or
    the $ had already been spent trying to keep the company alive as long as he could. I'd think
    though that unless the Sheriff shows up one day and padlocks your door, that you would know when
    the end is near and make arrangements to get out of Dodge with whatever cash you still had.

    My point was not to run the guy down, it was to wish he'd comeback and build some more bents. I was
    a forensic accountant and we had our own expressions that may get people twisted, like "fleeing into
    the night" or "dropping off the planet". All it means is that someone left with money not refunded,
    bills unpaid and his whereabouts unknown.

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    "Wile E.Coyote" wrote:

    > T.S.Didn't Shean drop off the planet without a trace (with) suppliers left unpaid and having the
    > deposit $ from some customers? I wouldn't know if he still had any of the cash in his pocket
    > or the $ had already been spent trying to keep the company alive as long as he could. I'd
    > think though that unless the Sheriff shows up one day and padlocks your door, that you would
    > know when the end is near and make arrangements to get out of Dodge with whatever cash you
    > still had.
    >
    > My point was not to run the guy down, it was to wish he'd comeback and build some more bents. I
    > was a forensic accountant and we had our own expressions that may get people twisted, like
    > "fleeing into the night" or "dropping off the planet". All it means is that someone left with
    > money not refunded, bills unpaid and his whereabouts unknown.

    Joshua,

    Although I did not know Shean nearly as well as some in the HPV community [1], my personal judgement
    would lead me to expect that Shean tried to keep Earth Cycles going too long, and did not intend to
    defraud anyone. As to the way Earth Cycles slowly expired, with inquires from dealers/customers not
    being answered, I have my own opinions on that, but I will keep them to myself as they involve
    issues that most people would not comprehend.

    As a tragic aside, one of Earth Cycles local suppliers ended up with the welding jigs, which were
    probably sold for scrap. :(

    If I had next week's lottery numbers, I would find Shean, settle all of Earth Cycles' outstanding
    debts, and put the Dragonflyer and Sunset back into production. [2]

    [1] I was intending to order a Sunset after I finished graduate school and got a job, and had
    inquired as to the various options and future developments planned for the Sunset.
    [2] Proof that the right people do not always inherit large sums of money. [3]
    [3] Hi Skip.

  3. T.S.Has anyone actually looked into tracing back to see if the Jigs were sold for scrap, people keep
    the weirdest things without seeing their true value.

    > As a tragic aside, one of Earth Cycles local suppliers ended up with the welding jigs, which were
    > probably sold for scrap. :(

  4. John Riley

    John Riley Guest

    Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... [...]
    > If I had next week's lottery numbers, I would find Shean, settle all of Earth Cycles' outstanding
    > debts, and put the Dragonflyer and Sunset back into production. [...]

    Barry Sanders, of this list, seems interested in making bikes. You have shown him a picture. Maybe
    you need to make a harder sell?

    Although having seen the picture, I am not sure I understand what is is about this bike that you
    like so much better than any of the others of this ilk.

    johnriley1 (at) rogers.com

  5. Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...

    > Although I did not know Shean nearly as well as some in the HPV community [1], my personal
    > judgement would lead me to expect that Shean tried to keep Earth Cycles going too long, and did
    > not intend to defraud anyone. As to the way Earth Cycles slowly expired, with inquires from
    > dealers/customers not being answered, I have my own opinions on that, but I will keep them to
    > myself as they involve issues that most people would not comprehend.

    I think I could comprehend the issues you refer to. Can you send me an e-mail to my earthlink.net
    address with your opinions on the above if you don't think it is appropriate for this newsgroup?

    Zach Kaplan

  6. A while back I tried tracking Shean down. I was unable to find any phone numbers or addresses for
    him but I did find his father's phone number and phoned him a few times over a period of months and
    each time he said he would relay my message to Shean and have Shean phone me back but this never
    happened. A former Earth Cycles employee told me Shean borrowed a lot of money from his father and
    may still owe him this money.

    Zach Kaplan

    "Wile E.Coyote" <ev[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<CT%[email protected]>...
    > T.S.Has anyone actually looked into tracing back to see if the Jigs were sold for scrap, people
    > keep the weirdest things without seeing their true value.
    >
    > > As a tragic aside, one of Earth Cycles local suppliers ended up with the welding jigs, which
    > > were probably sold for scrap. :(

  7. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    john riley wrote:

    > Tom Sherman <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>... [...]
    > > If I had next week's lottery numbers, I would find Shean, settle all of Earth Cycles'
    > > outstanding debts, and put the Dragonflyer and Sunset back into production. [...]
    >
    > Barry Sanders, of this list, seems interested in making bikes. You have shown him a picture. Maybe
    > you need to make a harder sell?
    >
    > Although having seen the picture, I am not sure I understand what is is about this bike that you
    > like so much better than any of the others of this ilk.

    John,

    It is not the looks of the Sunset, but the riding experience.

    On a related note, several people have made comments at different times to the effect "that the
    Sunset fits me". No one has made such comments when I have ridden other recumbents.

    Obviously, some other people do not feel that way, as they have sold their Sunsets, but several of
    them have ended up with owners who would not exchange them for any other bike.