Earthcycles Sunset Lowracer for Sale

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Windy City Ride, Apr 1, 2003.

  1. Earthcycles Sunset Lowracer

    Info: One of a handful (15?) ever made by the now defunct Earthcycles. Very Good condition. Probably
    the most practical and user-friendly lowracer ever built. Very fast. The frame is collapsable for
    easy transportation (fits in large suitcase). Frame also has several braze-ons for bottle cages,
    fairing mounts, and a built in light-mount stem. Handlebars converted to "Superman" style, identical
    to Bachetta handlebars. These handlebars offer a signifigant improvement in handling and comfort.
    Hammock-style mesh seat, more comfortable than traditional harshell Euroseats. Ideal lowracer for
    shorter people and women. Includes proprietary rack for panniers or tailfaring (coroplast
    tailfairing included upon request).

    Component highlights:

    406 Rear wheel with new Continental Grand Prix tire. Recently added 9-speed cassette. Intermediary
    Gear - eliminates the need for large chainrings. 305 front wheel, Phil Wood hub, Primo Commet tire.
    Proprietary Monofork. SRAM Attack Gripshifters. Zoom adjustable stem riser. Bachetta handlebars.
    Durace Cranks. Telescoping Boom. Generic Plattform pedals included.

    $2000. Buyer pays shipping expenses. I will personally deliver to buyer within 50 miles of Chicago,
    Illinois. Photos available upon request.

    Email: ksantiago at centrax dot com. Please CC the following email: mk1anton at mindspring dot com.

    -"Windy City" Keith

    Tags:

  2. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Windy City Rider wrote:

    > Earthcycles Sunset Lowracer
    >
    > Info: One of a handful (15?) ever made by the now defunct Earthcycles. Very Good condition.
    > Probably the most practical and user-friendly lowracer ever built. Very fast. The frame is
    > collapsable for easy transportation (fits in large suitcase). Frame also has several braze-ons for
    > bottle cages, fairing mounts, and a built in light-mount stem. Handlebars converted to "Superman"
    > style, identical to Bachetta handlebars. These handlebars offer a signifigant improvement in
    > handling and comfort. Hammock-style mesh seat, more comfortable than traditional harshell
    > Euroseats. Ideal lowracer for shorter people and women. Includes proprietary rack for panniers or
    > tailfaring (coroplast tailfairing included upon request).
    >
    > Component highlights:
    >
    > 406 Rear wheel with new Continental Grand Prix tire. Recently added 9-speed cassette. Intermediary
    > Gear - eliminates the need for large chainrings. 305 front wheel, Phil Wood hub, Primo Commet
    > tire. Proprietary Monofork. SRAM Attack Gripshifters. Zoom adjustable stem riser. Bachetta
    > handlebars. Durace Cranks. Telescoping Boom. Generic Plattform pedals included.
    >
    > $2000. Buyer pays shipping expenses. I will personally deliver to buyer within 50 miles of
    > Chicago, Illinois. Photos available upon request.
    >
    > Email: ksantiago at centrax dot com. Please CC the following email: mk1anton at mindspring
    > dot com.
    >
    > -"Windy City" Keith

    Is this Wendy's former bike?

    If my information is correct, there were 14 orange, 2 red, 1 silver and 1 green Earth Cycles Sunset
    Lowracers made. The red Sunsets are of course much superior to the common orange ones, and whoever
    heard of a silver or green sunset? ;)

    This may come as a shock to this newsgroup, but of all the bikes I have ever ridden, the Sunset is
    my favorite. ;)

    Tom Sherman - RED Earth Cycles Sunset [NOT FOR SALE!] Quad Cities USA (Illinois side)

  3. > Is this Wendy's former bike?

    Sure is, except for the fact that I converted the handlebars from praying hamster to superman. The
    bike handles much better IMHO.

    > If my information is correct, there were 14 orange, 2 red, 1 silver and 1 green Earth Cycles
    > Sunset Lowracers made. The red Sunsets are of course much superior to the common orange ones, and
    > whoever heard of a silver or green sunset? ;)

    Yeah Red is a better color... everything LOOKS faster when painted red

    > This may come as a shock to this newsgroup, but of all the bikes I have ever ridden, the Sunset is
    > my favorite. ;)

    I would agree. In fact, the Sunset has IMHO the most comfortable recumbent seat around. I'd like to
    keep it, except for the fact that I'm a speed junky. Who needs comfort when you can cruise at 25 mph
    :)

    "Windy City" Keith

  4. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Windy City Rider wrote:

    > > Is this Wendy's former bike?
    >
    > Sure is, except for the fact that I converted the handlebars from praying hamster to superman. The
    > bike handles much better IMHO.
    >
    > > If my information is correct, there were 14 orange, 2 red, 1 silver and 1 green Earth Cycles
    > > Sunset Lowracers made. The red Sunsets are of course much superior to the common orange ones,
    > > and whoever heard of a silver or green sunset? ;)
    >
    > Yeah Red is a better color... everything LOOKS faster when painted red
    >

    > > This may come as a shock to this newsgroup, but of all the bikes I have ever ridden, the Sunset
    > > is my favorite. ;)
    >
    > I would agree. In fact, the Sunset has IMHO the most comfortable recumbent seat around. I'd
    > like to keep it, except for the fact that I'm a speed junky. Who needs comfort when you can
    > cruise at 25 mph
    > :)

    Keith,

    I prefer the "praying hamster" position and I find "C" or "Eurobars" to be visually unattractive. I
    also find that some moderate tiller helps the handling. I do believe that the setup on my bike was
    better than the one that Wendy had (mine was the red Sunset at the CRR Holiday party
    [1]).

    I doubt I would be significantly faster on any unfaired bike short of a Jester, "low" Baron, or
    exotics such as the Razz Fazz, than on my Sunset, and I find all of those bike too compromised for
    general use. The Sunset seems to work particularly well for me ergonomically, which I believe
    affects my performance in a positive manner.

    [2] Both former owners of my bike happened to be in attendance.

  5. > I prefer the "praying hamster" position and I find "C" or "Eurobars" to be visually unattractive.
    > I also find that some moderate tiller helps the handling. I do believe that the setup on my bike
    > was better than the one that Wendy had (mine was the red Sunset at the CRR Holiday party
    > [1]).

    Steering form factor is subjective. I was at the last X-mas party and to be honest, I didn't much
    care for your Sunset either ;-) I would conclude that therein resides the beauty in the design of
    this lowracer. The Sunset is probably one of the more versatile lowracers out there, and definately
    the most utilitarian. I would compare it to a Wishbone/T-bone in that regard. Like the Reynold's
    bikes, each Sunset I've seen bears some unique mark of it's owner in one form or another. Let's not
    forget one can tear down the frame for easy transport in a suitcase. Try getting an M-5 lowracer
    through O'hare on a busy day. Security would think the M5 frame alone is part of a shoulder-fired
    ground-to-air missle system...

    > I doubt I would be significantly faster on any unfaired bike short of a Jester, "low" Baron, or
    > exotics such as the Razz Fazz, than on my Sunset, and I find all of those bike too compromised for
    > general use. The Sunset seems to work particularly well for me ergonomically, which I believe
    > affects my performance in a positive manner.

    I've sat in or on some of the exotics you speak of and I find them to be sufficiently comfortable.
    Not as comfortable as the Sunset, but enough miles on a Jester or a Razz Fazz and one would find the
    comfort aclimation time worth the increased speed potential. I would agree, the Euro lowracers were
    purpose-built for high-speed touring, track and road racing. The Sunset is odd, almost a hybrid of
    sorts considering that one could commute effectively with it in a quiet area. What bike would I
    prefer on the Bike Psychos Century? a Jester or Baron. What bike would I prefer on RAGBRAI, common
    sense says the Sunset.

    -"Windy City" Keith

  6. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Windy City Rider wrote:
    > > I doubt I would be significantly faster on any unfaired bike short of a Jester, "low" Baron, or
    > > exotics such as the Razz Fazz, than on my Sunset, and I find all of those bike too compromised
    > > for general use. The Sunset seems to work particularly well for me ergonomically, which I
    > > believe affects my performance in a positive manner.
    >
    > I've sat in or on some of the exotics you speak of and I find them to be sufficiently comfortable.
    > Not as comfortable as the Sunset, but enough miles on a Jester or a Razz Fazz and one would find
    > the comfort aclimation time worth the increased speed potential. I would agree, the Euro lowracers
    > were purpose-built for high-speed touring, track and road racing. The Sunset is odd, almost a
    > hybrid of sorts considering that one could commute effectively with it in a quiet area. What bike
    > would I prefer on the Bike Psychos Century? a Jester or Baron. What bike would I prefer on
    > RAGBRAI, common sense says the Sunset.

    Keith,

    I was not thinking just of comfort, but also factors such as the ability to see traffic, low speed
    handling, ease of starting and stopping, and lack of foot and chain interference with the front
    wheel where the Sunset is significantly better than the other lowracers I mentioned.

    As for not liking the handlebars and riser on my Sunset, be sure to tell Earl since he set the bike
    up that way for Barb. ;)

    Have fun riding with the hammerheads on the Bike Psychos Century on whatever lowracer you decide on
    - I plan on eating a lot at the rest stops instead. ;)

  7. > Keith,

    > I was not thinking just of comfort, but also factors such as the ability to see traffic, low speed
    > handling, ease of starting and stopping, and lack of foot and chain interference with the front
    > wheel where the Sunset is significantly better than the other lowracers I mentioned.

    You've got a few points there Tom. My Sunset's chain is droppped off the boom-level idler sprocket
    for increased chainline efficiency. I deal with the chainline/front wheel overlap just fine.
    Visibility is excellent, but the tradeoff is the high seat angle compared to the faster Euro
    lowracers. BTW I'm not in the habit of riding ANY lowracer on busy streets.

    > As for not liking the handlebars and riser on my Sunset, be sure to tell Earl since he set the
    > bike up that way for Barb. ;)

    I recently skimmed over a ride report written by Zach Kaplan regarding his Sunset. Apparently he
    performed the conversion, and attests to the same benefits of the Bacchetta Bars that I do. To each
    is his/her own. Funny thing, BROL has an article pertaining to this debate, entitled "Arguments You
    Can't Win" :)

    > Have fun riding with the hammerheads on the Bike Psychos Century on whatever lowracer you decide
    > on - I plan on eating a lot at the rest stops instead. ;)

    Heeeeaaay maaaan, I'm a speeeeed junkieeey! And you're obviously a gourmand ;) I applaud the small
    group of folks like yourself that have more practical uses for lowracers. That's probably why the
    Quasi-Lowracer platform is a success. As for myself, I'll sacrifice some practicality for the
    purebreeds. Because I prefer to ..... HAUL ASS!!!

    -"Windy City" Keith

  8. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Windy City Rider wrote:

    > ...I applaud the small group of folks like yourself that have more practical uses for lowracers.
    > That's probably why the Quasi-Lowracer platform is a success. As for myself, I'll sacrifice some
    > practicality for the purebreeds. Because I prefer to ..... HAUL ASS!!!

    I believe that Zach Kaplan would win the prize for practical lowracer use, since he has toured on a
    Festina (with a B.O.B. Coz) and used his Sunset for grocery shopping.

    While a ~20 lb (9 kgf) carbon fiber composite lowracer does sound tempting, for me it would be an
    additional bike for special uses, and not a replacement for my Sunset.

  9. Tom Sherman

    Tom Sherman Guest

    Windy City Rider wrote:

    > Earthcycles Sunset Lowracer...

    As an aside, this is the other half of the "Recumbents from Hell".

    This comment was made by a rude wedgie rider at a rest stop about Wendy's (now Keith's) and my
    Sunsets on the 2002 Harmon 100.

  10. Bike is sold. :)

    Rocket time!

    -"Windy City" Keith