Easiest bike welding setup?

Jeff Potter

Guest
I'd like to be able to readily make frame repairs on my old beater
bikes.

I suspect it's easier to do than one might think, if one isn't
concerned with cosmetics.

Does anyone have a book title, a how-to URL and, say, the *NAME* of a
set-up I could buy at Home Depot or something? I wouldn't be surprised
if there wasn't a bubblepack set-up I could get for minor repairs.

I note that on my Brompton folder, the ~1.5" seat-tube is cracking for
1/2" horizontally across the tube just at the bottom of the seat-post
slot. Is this something an at-home welder could repair?

I suspect there are two angles to consider here: one is brazing, which
would be like soldering. Then there'd be actual welding. I'd think
welding would be what you want for things like cracks. ??

Thanks, Jeff Potter
http://outyourbackdoor.com

First make sure the bride and groom both ride.

Bill "nothing wrong with MY eyes" S.

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to be able to readily make frame repairs on my old beater
> bikes.
>
> I suspect it's easier to do than one might think, if one isn't
> concerned with cosmetics.
>
> Does anyone have a book title, a how-to URL and, say, the *NAME* of a
> set-up I could buy at Home Depot or something? I wouldn't be surprised
> if there wasn't a bubblepack set-up I could get for minor repairs.
>
> I note that on my Brompton folder, the ~1.5" seat-tube is cracking for
> 1/2" horizontally across the tube just at the bottom of the seat-post
> slot. Is this something an at-home welder could repair?
>
> I suspect there are two angles to consider here: one is brazing, which
> would be like soldering. Then there'd be actual welding. I'd think
> welding would be what you want for things like cracks. ??

Google + welding + DIY = your question answered elsewhere:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=166566

Pete