Easiest bike welding setup?

Jeff Potter

Guest
I'd like to be able to readily make frame repairs on my old
beater bikes.

I suspect it's easier to do than one might think, if one
isn't concerned with cosmetics.

Does anyone have a book title, a how-to URL and, say, the
*NAME* of a set-up I could buy at Home Depot or something? I
wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a bubblepack set-up I
could get for minor repairs.

I note that on my Brompton folder, the ~1.5" seat-tube is
cracking for
1/2" horizontally across the tube just at the bottom of
the seat-post slot. Is this something an at-home welder
could repair?

I suspect there are two angles to consider here: one is
brazing, which would be like soldering. Then there'd be
actual welding. I'd think welding would be what you want for
things like cracks. ??

Thanks, Jeff Potter http://outyourbackdoor.com

First make sure the bride and groom both ride.

Bill "nothing wrong with MY eyes" S.

"Jeff Potter" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I'd like to be able to readily make frame repairs on my
> old beater bikes.
>
> I suspect it's easier to do than one might think, if one
> isn't concerned with cosmetics.
>
> Does anyone have a book title, a how-to URL and, say, the
> *NAME* of a set-up I could buy at Home Depot or something?
> I wouldn't be surprised if there wasn't a bubblepack set-
> up I could get for minor repairs.
>
> I note that on my Brompton folder, the ~1.5" seat-tube is
> cracking for
> 1/2" horizontally across the tube just at the bottom of
> the seat-post slot. Is this something an at-home welder
> could repair?
>
> I suspect there are two angles to consider here: one is
> brazing, which would be like soldering. Then there'd be
> actual welding. I'd think welding would be what you want
> for things like cracks. ??

Google + welding + DIY = your question answered elsewhere:
http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=166566

Pete