Easiest Clipless to Exit

tooldbear

Jul 13, 2004
Yep, I agree with the 'purists', I shouldn't have to ask because I shouldn't find myself in such a position.:)

However, I just did, and it persuaded me to ask (rather than return to clips).

What is the 'easiest to exit' clipless pedal you know of?

I'm currently in speedplay and love the pedal, but I just took a tumble which messed up my back (somewhat recurring problem I have to watch out for) and I'm going to miss cycling whilst I recover.

Going up a rather steep hill, bike malfunctioned - shifted into highest gear, brought all forward momentum to a halt and before I could twist out, I was down.

I need something I can pull out of in such an emergency. I know, don't let it happen! I've been clipless for a number of years now and it has/does - twice. First time I just accepeted it and figured I'd be more careful and prepared. Looking back on this one, I really don't see how I could have prevented it and at 60+ don't like facing a recovery period (or worse, like a friend, - a broken hip).

So please, no lectures on what I should have done to prevent it. Just any recommendations on pedal alternatives.

Many thanks to you all for all the enjoyment and advice you've provided over the years.

cheers

I'm not sure if you're on mountain or road pedals, but I recently switched from Speedplay Zeros to Crank Brothers Egg Beaters. They have much less float in them, but you can unclip by twisting your foot much less.

Sorry to hear about what happened and I hope you mend quickly. Unlike you, I went back to toe clips and toe straps after my last fall over. It was rather embarassing as it was: pull up to the stop sign, unclip right foot, weight shifted to the left, fall on left side:( . That was my third fall with clipless pedals. Prior to going clipless, I had never fallen over with my old pedals. Since I primarily ride recreationally, I decided that I did not need the added efficiency of clipless pedals so I went back to toe clips and they work for me:) .

Crank Brothers' Quattro is very easy for me, especially in those emergency stop situations. Have encountered a few times and each time I was able to clip out quickly. Not so with my previous SPD, one that seems to hold you back if you are in a real hurry.

Shimano SPD-SL pedals have a huge range on the release tension, and it can be adjusted in seconds with an Allen tool. They can be uber tight, or so loose that your foot will come out with a flick of your heel

I do mine up for smash-fests, then loosen them for the roll home through busier traffic,

Having chipped the scaphoid bone in my hand doing something very similar to you, I’ve learned to keep my elbow well and truly bent and to roll with it when I topple over… try to take several less severe impacts instead of one big one. Still hurts a lot, but much less permanently.

I kinda like Shimano SPD mtb pedals. I’ve been using the SPD M520’s – the ones with the improved mud-shedding ability. I have them on both my commuter and XC bike and find them reliable. Your foot won’t lift out of them even on the most relaxed setting, yet you can clip out easily. I’ve since tightened them up a couple of clicks.

The XC bike came with some 505’s – they were dangerous. The foot came out over a small jump at speed and I almost went over the bars. After the second time, they were retired.

I agree, shimano spd's can be tunned for very low resistance release but you'll allways feel the clic and you can't change the release angle.

The smoothest and easyest releasing pedals I've ever use are the ones of the Crank Brothers system, being the Candy SL's the smoothest on releasing by far .. you simply slide out with barely any release tension, but the hook is very efective nevertheless. You can also choose from two release angles.

Oigi said:
I agree, shimano spd's can be tunned for very low resistance release but you'll allways feel the clic and you can't change the release angle.
I was okay with the SPD's but have converted to Look Keo's on my road bikes and am much happier with them. Clipout is very crisp and definitive. The Keo Classics are the easiest to get out of, so they would be the one's the OP might want to consider.
They are one-sided entry, however, which might take some getting used to after the Speedplays....

SPD with multi-release cleats.
Shimano SPD M520 or similar pedal with Shimano multi-release SM-SH56 cleats.