easily transportable bike?

LDB

Jul 18, 2010
I travel the country for Fedex Custom Critical doing expedited freight transportation. We are the ambulances of the freight industry offering 90 minute pickup and straight through delivery. I have 3 big trucks and a van. I drive the van so I can go to pretty much any restaurant/museum/etc. when I'm between jobs.

I used to bicycle a very long time ago and my best ride was 55 miles. I need to get active somehow and am thinking about bicycling again. Due to space limitations in my van I'm thinking a folding bike is my only viable option. My spare tire is mounted on one of the back doors so I can't put a traditional bike rack on the back plus having to use those doors for cargo in and out all the time. I thought about a front mount carrier but then I'd have a bug covered bike.

I'm open to suggestions on bike choice, carrying methods, etc. and look forward to input from those with more experience.

Lots of views but no responses? Am I asking incorrectly? No opinions on this?

LDB said:
Lots of views but no responses? Am I asking incorrectly? No opinions on this?

Racks: seems like I see a lot of people using roof racks these days, so that could be an option on your van.

Folding Bike: There are a world of choices these days. Dahon makes full size folding bikes, and small folders also. Really depends on your use and budget. I've been eying the Dahon D7HG (internal hub gears, fenders and full chain guard), but the price is a bit high (especially since I probably won't use it much). There are often some good prices on Schwinn Loops and Schwinn World Folders on eBay. Or you could spend over $1,000 on a Bike Friday with road bike handlebars and 24 speeds. There really are a lot of folding bikes to choose from these days.

I thought about a roof rack but am already concerned with clearance with the roof a/c and satellite communications dome. I'm leaning most to a folder as it would be locked inside the van so harder to steal and also out of the elements.

LDB said:
I'm open to suggestions on bike choice, carrying methods, etc. and look forward to input from those with more experience.
RITCHEY Break-Away +/- its carrying case.