East Anglian cycling report ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

Wafflycathcsdir

... as appeared in our local online newspaper the EDP today.

http://tinyurl.com/amrq

Note - I'm not the author of the report - there is no author named but it's possibly one Fergus Muir
who is as he does a lot of them.

The report mentions a few cycling events - including the Bungay Criterion this coming Monday. Also
the charity ride on Sunday 18 May - Beccles Cycle for Life, around the quiet lanes near the Suffolk
town. I think I've got an entry form for that somewhere lurking on my hard drive - so if anyone
wants one ...

"Carr rises to big challenge

April 30, 2003 07:00

Riders in the Stowmarket and District Cycling Club time trial found they had plenty to think about.
There were potholes and steep cambers on the country roads, a strong wind and, for some competitors,
a dust storm blowing off the fields near the Suffolk village of Norton. Winner Zak Carr of
Attleborough saw this as a plus point, saying that it helped him to "relax and flow" and to
concentrate. But Norwich veteran Chris Nudds, who used a tri-spoked front wheel – one with just
three wide carbon fibre spokes – found life interesting when the crosswind blew though gaps in the
roadside hedges. Carr covered the course of around 25 miles in 55:46, which compares well with the
56:52 record for the previous, slightly longer, version of the course. He had a four and a half
minutes margin over Martin Pyne, almost the same as when they last met, in the Time Trial Series
race at Somerleyton.

Leading riders from the promoting Stowmarket club were Renny Stirling (seventh) and Jason Everett,
who was eighth.

Eddie Fone of Norwich Amateur BC recorded 26:38 in the Shaftsbury VV 10 at

"I'm reasonably happy with that, said 75-year-old Fone.

And well he might be, for looking back in the records I noticed his name in the results on almost
the same day 50 years ago – April 26, 1953.

E Fone, then of the Marlboro' C & AC, did 25 miles on a Coggeshall to Marks Tey to Kelvedon course
in a time of 1-1:58.

Norwich fast men of the day Ray Barker and Pete Woodhouse also figured in the event.

Godric Cycling Club already have well over 100 entries for their afternoon of racing in Bungay on
Monday, when prizes worth £1300 are on offer.

Racing starts at 12.30pm on Lower Olland Street, with the top event, a round of British Cycling's
Circuit Race Series, off at 3.30pm. A splendid afternoon of free entertainment.

Nathan Miller (IBC) and Robert Hunt (ERV Bianchi) came ninth and tenth respectively in a race which
went right through the exhibition hall at Birmingham's NEC, where the National Bike Show was being
staged. It was a very slippery floor, I'm told!

Will Dorsett (North Norfolk Wheelers) was one of 44 riders contesting the under-16 section of the
East Riding Youth Tour at Brough, on Humberside.

He took fourth places in both the hill climb and the 12.5 mile hilly time trial, blew somewhat in
the first of two 23-mile criteriums, but recovered to finish tenth in the second.

An event suitable for everyone is the Beccles Cycle for Life, to be held in the quiet lanes near the
Suffolk town on Sunday, May 18.

Last year's event raised more than £4000 for local charities.

Riders can choose routes of 15, 25, 40 or 50 miles, and will find checkpoints, with refreshments, at
regular intervals along the route. For details, call 01502-475254 or 01502-712061.

Eastern Region Velo have withdrawn their offer to run the Division Road Race Championships, citing
difficulty with marshalling. So far, no alternative has been found."

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

In news:[email protected], wafflycathcsdirtycatlitter
<[email protected]> typed:
> ... as appeared in our local online newspaper the EDP today.
>
> http://tinyurl.com/amrq
>
> Note - I'm not the author of the report - there is no author named but it's possibly one Fergus
> Muir who is as he does a lot of them.
>
> The report mentions a few cycling events -

but no mention of the name 'Simmons' - are your family trying hard enough?

Ambrose

>but no mention of the name 'Simmons' - are your family trying hard enough?

:) Some people would say I'm very trying, Ambrose ;-)

No, we weren't in any of those mentioned. But you never know in the future!

Cheers, helen s

~~~~~~~~~~
Flush out that intestinal parasite and/or the waste product before sending a reply!

Any speeliong mistake$ aR the resiult of my cats sitting on the keyboaRRRDdd
~~~~~~~~~~

Status
Not open for further replies.