East Coast, Brisbane to Adelaide?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamish

Jan 3, 2004
Hello,

I'm really wanting any information about cycling from Brisbane to Adelaide (or Sydney.) My plan is to start on about the 20th January 2004, finishing about 2 months later. I'm actually flying into Cairns on the 16th and am thinking of getting a bus, train or plane down to Brisbane, any advice on that one?

My plan at the moment is to stay in cheap hostels along the way. Is this possible? and what kind of prices should I expect? I'm in 2 minds whether camping would'nt be a better option for me. But if i'm going to do this on my own i think that the hostels would be better and a lot easier at the end of a long days cycle.

Can anyone reccomend a good map of the east coast, hopefully with hostels marked on it?

What is the best way to tour along the east coast? Up to now I've been finding places to stay when i get to a town. But thats because my maps have been pretty vague, the worst being a Junior Atlas (the local kids geography book edition) to navigate north vietnam!

If you can think of any tips or things that would or could help me i'd really appreciate it.

I've been on the road since last June, and have overlanded it from bonny wee scotland! with a friend who cannot continue on. So I'm also looking for someone or a group of people also wanting to do the same kind of route. Not sure how this message forum works, but please email me at [email protected] if your interested!

Thanks for reading!

hamish!

Maps: excellent maps available from state-based road associations; NRMA (NSW), RACV (VIC), not sure what the equivalents are in QLD and SA. the maps are approx. $5 each for non-members. There are approximately 7-8 maps covering various regions of NSW.
Route: my tip - don't follow the east coast the entire way - unless you like busy and dangerous roads, dull and endlessly hillly coastal hinterland terrain, and rampant, unrestrained coastal development. This particularly applies to sections of NSW. The Princes and Pacfic Hgways can very dangerous, not to mention boring as bat**** in many stages. My suggestion would be to go inland for the scenery, quiet country roads (your road selection is important, which is where the detail of NRMA maps, for eg is important), cheap old country pubs for accommodation, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.