East coast Century Rides

Discussion in 'rec.bicycles.rides archive' started by Randall Roberts, Apr 8, 2003.

  1. Would like to hear about Century rides that are recomended For Families

    East coast prefered we enjoy well supported rides with frequent available rest stops and good food
    after the ride

    Thanks

    Tags:

  2. Pat Clancy

    Pat Clancy Guest

    Although it's months away, the Flattest Century of the East meets your criteria. It will be held on
    Sept. 7, in Tiverton, Rhode Island. Check out the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen web site at
    http://www.nbwclub.org/. Note that they require preregistration and expect the 1,600 slots to be
    full by the end of July. Email me if you want any further details.

    Pat Clancy [email protected]m

    Randall Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Would like to hear about Century rides that are recomended For Families
    >
    > East coast prefered we enjoy well supported rides with frequent available rest stops and good food
    > after the ride
    >
    > Thanks

  3. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    The TFCE is a really nice ride! But there are only 3 rest stops: after each 25-mile section. And
    there is no food at the end. You have to drive to a restaurant.

    C.C.

    > From: [email protected] (Pat Clancy) Organization: http://groups.google.com/ Newsgroups:
    > rec.bicycles.rides Date: 9 Apr 2003 04:42:02 -0700 Subject: Re: East coast Century Rides
    >
    > Although it's months away, the Flattest Century of the East meets your criteria. It will be held
    > on Sept. 7, in Tiverton, Rhode Island. Check out the Narragansett Bay Wheelmen web site at
    > http://www.nbwclub.org/. Note that they require preregistration and expect the 1,600 slots to be
    > full by the end of July. Email me if you want any further details.
    >
    > Pat Clancy [email protected]
    >

    > Randall Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    >> Would like to hear about Century rides that are recomended For Families
    >>
    >> East coast prefered we enjoy well supported rides with frequent available rest stops and good
    >> food after the ride
    >>
    >> Thanks

  4. Roy Zipris

    Roy Zipris Guest

    My two clubs both do great rides in the Philadelphia suburbs. Suburban Cyclists Unlimited,
    www.suburbancyclists.org, has the Quad County Metric (May 4) and the Lake Nockamixon Century
    (September 14). Central Bucks Bike Club, www.cbbikeclub.org, has the wonderful Covered Bridges Ride
    October 12 (not to be confused with the Lancaster PA Covered Bridges Ride).

    There's also the Princton Bike Event (Princeton Freewheelers, August
    2), the Shore Fire Century (August 23, White Clay Bike Club).

    There are a number of decent rides in South Jersey but I find the support and food stops generally
    lacking: Pinelands Triple Loop (May 10, Shore Cycle Club), Bridgeton Zoo Ride (August 9, South
    Jersey Wheelmen), Jersey Devil (September 20, South Jersey Wheelmen), Belleplain Fall Century
    (October 4, Shore Cycle Club).

    Hope this helps. --Roy Zipris

  5. Peter Storey

    Peter Storey Guest

    Randall Roberts <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Would like to hear about Century rides that are recomended For Families
    >
    > East coast prefered we enjoy well supported rides with frequent available rest stops and good food
    > after the ride
    >
    > Thanks

    Try the New York City Century in early September (www.transalt.org). In addition to 5 or 6
    "official" rest stops, you will pass literally hundreds of other places to eat and drink. Frequent
    and unlimited SAG service is provided by the largest public transport service in the country.
    Afterwards, you'll find an unparalleled diversity of dinner choices -- within a mile of the finish,
    you can enjoy anything from fabulous (-ly overpriced) French to hotdogs by the curb.

    Peter Storey

  6. Another century in Delaware that is particularly suited for families is the Amish County Tour.
    15,25,35,50,65 and 100 mile loops are offered on some of the flatest terrain on the East Coast. For
    more info:

    www.visitdover.com/tours/eventbiketour.html

    Chris Law Newark, DE

  7. Mike

    Mike Guest

    True I love this ride, but I had to go 20 miles just to get Advil.:) Very scenic but not much for
    the kiddies, more adult oriented.