EastEnders' star hurt in bike crash

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Pauline, Jun 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pauline

    Pauline Guest

    Lifted from Coventry Evening Telegraph:

    http://iccoventry.icnetwork.co.uk/0100news/0150swarksnews/content_objectid=1
    3076494_method=full_siteid=50002_headline=-EastEnders%27-star-hurt-in-bike-c rash-name_page.html

    EastEnders star Adam Woodyatt suffered head and shoulder injuries in a cycling accident while
    training for a charity bike ride.

    The actor, who plays Ian Beale in the BBC soap, suffered a broken collarbone, head injuries and
    multiple lacerations to the face and body.

    He has now been forced to cancel his forthcoming bike ride from Land's End to John O'Groats to raise
    money for cancer research.

    The accident happened on Friday evening as Woodyatt cycled near his home in Southam, Warwickshire.

    The 34-year-old was not wearing a helmet and came off his bicycle at 22mph after hitting a
    grass verge.

    He was taken to Warwick Hospital and released the same evening after treatment.

    Woodyatt admitted he had been stupid not wearing a helmet.

    "The broken collarbone couldn't have been prevented although I could have avoided the head injuries
    had I been wearing my helmet," he said.

    "It was a warm evening, I was going through a final gentle training ride through roads with little
    traffic and I thought I wouldn't need the helmet - how wrong I was.

    "I consider myself extremely lucky that my injuries weren't more serious."

    Woodyatt had planned to set off from Land's End on June 22 to cycle the 900 miles to John O'Groats.

    He intended to raise money for Cancer Research UK in memory of his father, who died from the
    disease aged 58.

    The EastEnders star has also raised funds in the past for Warwick Hospital, where he was treated for
    his injuries.

    A spokeswoman for the show said he should be well enough to return to work next month.
     
    Tags:


  2. W K

    W K Guest

    "Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > The 34-year-old was not wearing a helmet and came off his bicycle at 22mph after hitting a
    > grass verge.
    <...>
    > Woodyatt admitted he had been stupid not wearing a helmet.

    More stupid was to be running into grass verge at 22mph.

    Anyway, not half as dangerous as balconies.
     
  3. Simon Mason

    Simon Mason Guest

    "Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >
    > He has now been forced to cancel his forthcoming bike ride from Land's End to John O'Groats to
    > raise money for cancer research.

    Well, that's one way of getting out of it!

    --
    Simon Mason Anlaby East Yorkshire. 53°44'N 0°26'W http://www.simonmason.karoo.net
     
  4. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    "Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > Woodyatt admitted he had been stupid not wearing a helmet.

    "Admitted?" Since when was it an offence?

    > "The broken collarbone couldn't have been prevented although I could have avoided the head
    > injuries had I been wearing my helmet," he said.

    Perhaps he will go back and repeat the crash with a lid in order to prove this assertion.

    Clearly had he been wearing a helmet it would have saved his life. Since he wasn't, it must have
    been pixies.

    --
    Guy
    ===
    I wonder if you wouldn't mind piecing out our imperfections with your thoughts; and while you're
    about it perhaps you could think when we talk of bicycles, that you see them printing their proud
    wheels i' the receiving earth; thanks awfully.
     
  5. John'S Cat

    John'S Cat Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:58:41 +0000 (UTC), "W K" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >
    >"Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> The 34-year-old was not wearing a helmet and came off his bicycle at 22mph after hitting a
    >> grass verge.
    ><...>
    >> Woodyatt admitted he had been stupid not wearing a helmet.
    >
    >More stupid was to be running into grass verge at 22mph.

    Quite so.
    >
    >Anyway, not half as dangerous as balconies.
    >
    New campaign to force balcony-users to be suitably attired?
     
  6. Elyob

    Elyob Guest

    "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >
    > > The 34-year-old was not wearing a helmet and came off his bicycle at
    22mph
    > > after hitting a grass verge.
    > <...>
    > > Woodyatt admitted he had been stupid not wearing a helmet.
    >
    > More stupid was to be running into grass verge at 22mph.
    >
    > Anyway, not half as dangerous as balconies.
    >
    >

    sick sense of humour there ....
     
  7. W K

    W K Guest

    "elyob" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >
    > "W K" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > "Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > >
    > > > The 34-year-old was not wearing a helmet and came off his bicycle at
    > 22mph
    > > > after hitting a grass verge.
    > > <...>
    > > > Woodyatt admitted he had been stupid not wearing a helmet.
    > >
    > > More stupid was to be running into grass verge at 22mph.
    > >
    > > Anyway, not half as dangerous as balconies.
    > >
    > >
    >
    > sick sense of humour there ....

    Maybe, but wasn't really supposed to be a joke.

    I usually make comparisons with being up a ladder etc. for comparisons with other day to
    day hazards.
     
  8. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 10:54:09 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >
    >> Woodyatt admitted he had been stupid not wearing a helmet.
    >
    >"Admitted?" Since when was it an offence?
    >
    >> "The broken collarbone couldn't have been prevented although I could have avoided the head
    >> injuries had I been wearing my helmet," he said.
    >
    >Perhaps he will go back and repeat the crash with a lid in order to prove this assertion.
    >
    >Clearly had he been wearing a helmet it would have saved his life. Since he wasn't, it must have
    >been pixies.

    Hi Guy

    I have decided that the phrase "brain damage" should be used instead of "head injury". IMO, a man
    capable of saying "The broken collarbone couldn't have been prevented although I could have avoided
    the head injuries had I been wearing my helmet." can't have suffered much of a bang on the bonce.

    Lacerations to the face are not head injuries in my book.

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg
     
  9. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:40:27 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have decided that the phrase "brain damage" should be used instead of "head injury". IMO, a man
    >capable of saying "The broken collarbone couldn't have been prevented although I could have avoided
    >the head injuries had I been wearing my helmet." can't have suffered much of a bang on the bonce.

    Seems fair. My expectations from my lid are limited to prevention of cranial road rash - which is a
    Perfectly Sufficient Reason in my book.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.
     
  10. M B Savage

    M B Savage Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 08:11:02 +0000 (UTC), "Pauline" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Lifted from Coventry Evening Telegraph:

    <snip link and story on DeadEnders accident :-( >

    I found it amusing that this was posted by "Pauline" :) Is my laundry ready yet?

    --
    MatSav
     
  11. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 19:02:08 +0100, "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 18:40:27 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I have decided that the phrase "brain damage" should be used instead of "head injury". IMO, a man
    >>capable of saying "The broken collarbone couldn't have been prevented although I could have
    >>avoided the head injuries had I been wearing my helmet." can't have suffered much of a bang on
    >>the bonce.
    >
    >Seems fair. My expectations from my lid are limited to prevention of cranial road rash - which is a
    >Perfectly Sufficient Reason in my book.
    >

    In my rather accident prone life I have had many head injuries coming from skiing (not properly),
    playing rugby (goes with the territory) or just getting overly-pissed and falling over (lifestyle
    choice!). However, I have had only the one brain damage - and thank the good Lord for that. I'm
    ignoring several minor concussions, which were also rugby induced in the main.

    You, Guy as one of r.k's wise men naturally see the thrust of my jib - I understand you used to
    be a sailor.

    What was that very old joke? AFAIR, the question was "What is the motto of the French Navy?" The
    answer was along the lines of was "A l'eau, c'est l'heure."

    James

    --
    http://homepage.ntlworld.com/c.butty/Dscf0632.jpg
     
  12. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 20:01:59 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"A l'eau, c'est l'heure."

    Ah, the old ones are best :)

    I did learn to sail as a games option at school. Beats the crap out of rugger if you ask me - too
    cold to sail in the depths of winter so we sat in a nice warm woodworking shop, painted the boats
    and went home early. Come summer, out on the aquadrome racing and throwing water at each other.
    Marvellous!

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.
     
  13. James Hodson

    James Hodson Guest

  14. Just Zis Guy

    Just Zis Guy Guest

    On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:46:04 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Prince Chas still thinks the Goons are funny

    Sapristi knuckoes! And indeed they are.

    Guy
    ===
    ** WARNING ** This posting may contain traces of irony. http://www.chapmancentral.com Advance
    notice: ADSL service in process of transfer to a new ISP. Obviously there will be a week of downtime
    between the engineer removing the BT service and the same engineer connecting the same equipment on
    the same line in the same exchange and billing it to the new ISP.
     
  15. Graeme

    Graeme Guest

    "Just zis Guy, you know?" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:46:04 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>Prince Chas still thinks the Goons are funny
    >
    > Sapristi knuckoes! And indeed they are.
    >

    And if you're quick (depending on the retention time of your usenet server) there's a whole load of
    Goons episodes on alt.binaries.sounds.mp3.comedy, posted in early June. If you're not quick Guy, I
    may still be able to help (not that I downloaded them or anything like that, oh no, not me).

    Have (ying tong iddle i po) fun!

    Graeme
     
  16. Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    > On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:46:04 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >
    >>Prince Chas still thinks the Goons are funny
    >
    >
    > Sapristi knuckoes! And indeed they are.
    >

    You silly twisted boy, you.
     
  17. On Wed, 18 Jun 2003 14:50:12 +0100, Daniel Wilcox <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Just zis Guy, you know? wrote:
    >> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003 21:46:04 +0100, James Hodson <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>
    >>>Prince Chas still thinks the Goons are funny
    >>
    >>
    >> Sapristi knuckoes! And indeed they are.
    >>
    >
    >You silly twisted boy, you.

    He's fallen in the wa-ter.
    --
    DG

    Bah!
     
Loading...
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Loading...