Easter Dinner (thanks Kathy in NZ!)

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by jmcquown, Apr 16, 2006.

  1. jmcquown

    jmcquown Guest

    I was musing about lamb for Easter in the chat channel the other night and
    thought I might get some lamb loin chops. Kathy suggested lamb shanks! Oh
    yeah!

    I started off the day with some Scottish oatmeal (Hamlyn's pinhead oats)
    cooked in milk and served with a little butter and salt.

    For a late lunch/early dinner I prepared a couple of nice meaty lamb shanks
    and will be eating leftovers for the next couple of days. I browned the
    shanks in a bit of butter and olive oil then threw in some minced onion and
    several cloves of garlic sauteed until just lightly golden. I deglazed the
    pan with white wine (Karen suggested red but I didn't have any and time
    slipped away from me so I couldn't go buy any - they don't sell wine here on
    Sunday). I then added chicken stock; salt, pepper and a handful of fresh
    chervil. Covered and simmered on very low heat until the meat was falling
    off the bone tender.

    I splurged and bought some asparagus. Man that stuff is expensive! I
    splashed it with some fresh lemon juice and steamed it. Very tasty. Sorry,
    no pics. I've grown bored with photographing food.

    Jill

    Tags:

  2. Kathy in NZ

    Kathy in NZ Guest

    On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:12:15 -0500, "jmcquown"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I was musing about lamb for Easter in the chat channel the other night and
    >thought I might get some lamb loin chops. Kathy suggested lamb shanks! Oh
    >yeah!
    >
    >I started off the day with some Scottish oatmeal (Hamlyn's pinhead oats)
    >cooked in milk and served with a little butter and salt.
    >
    >For a late lunch/early dinner I prepared a couple of nice meaty lamb shanks
    >and will be eating leftovers for the next couple of days. I browned the
    >shanks in a bit of butter and olive oil then threw in some minced onion and
    >several cloves of garlic sauteed until just lightly golden. I deglazed the
    >pan with white wine (Karen suggested red but I didn't have any and time
    >slipped away from me so I couldn't go buy any - they don't sell wine here on
    >Sunday). I then added chicken stock; salt, pepper and a handful of fresh
    >chervil. Covered and simmered on very low heat until the meat was falling
    >off the bone tender.
    >
    >I splurged and bought some asparagus. Man that stuff is expensive! I
    >splashed it with some fresh lemon juice and steamed it. Very tasty. Sorry,
    >no pics. I've grown bored with photographing food.
    >
    >Jill

    Jill, glad you enjoyed your lamb shanks. That sounds lovely.

    Kathy in NZ