Easter Dinner (thanks Kathy in NZ!)

jmcquown

Guest
I was musing about lamb for Easter in the chat channel the other night and
thought I might get some lamb loin chops. Kathy suggested lamb shanks! Oh
yeah!

I started off the day with some Scottish oatmeal (Hamlyn's pinhead oats)
cooked in milk and served with a little butter and salt.

For a late lunch/early dinner I prepared a couple of nice meaty lamb shanks
and will be eating leftovers for the next couple of days. I browned the
shanks in a bit of butter and olive oil then threw in some minced onion and
several cloves of garlic sauteed until just lightly golden. I deglazed the
pan with white wine (Karen suggested red but I didn't have any and time
slipped away from me so I couldn't go buy any - they don't sell wine here on
Sunday). I then added chicken stock; salt, pepper and a handful of fresh
chervil. Covered and simmered on very low heat until the meat was falling
off the bone tender.

I splurged and bought some asparagus. Man that stuff is expensive! I
splashed it with some fresh lemon juice and steamed it. Very tasty. Sorry,
no pics. I've grown bored with photographing food.

Jill

On Sun, 16 Apr 2006 17:12:15 -0500, "jmcquown"
<[email protected]> wrote:

>I was musing about lamb for Easter in the chat channel the other night and
>thought I might get some lamb loin chops. Kathy suggested lamb shanks! Oh
>yeah!
>
>I started off the day with some Scottish oatmeal (Hamlyn's pinhead oats)
>cooked in milk and served with a little butter and salt.
>
>For a late lunch/early dinner I prepared a couple of nice meaty lamb shanks
>and will be eating leftovers for the next couple of days. I browned the
>shanks in a bit of butter and olive oil then threw in some minced onion and
>several cloves of garlic sauteed until just lightly golden. I deglazed the
>pan with white wine (Karen suggested red but I didn't have any and time
>slipped away from me so I couldn't go buy any - they don't sell wine here on
>Sunday). I then added chicken stock; salt, pepper and a handful of fresh
>chervil. Covered and simmered on very low heat until the meat was falling
>off the bone tender.
>
>I splurged and bought some asparagus. Man that stuff is expensive! I
>splashed it with some fresh lemon juice and steamed it. Very tasty. Sorry,
>no pics. I've grown bored with photographing food.
>
>Jill

Jill, glad you enjoyed your lamb shanks. That sounds lovely.

Kathy in NZ