Easter Menu

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Here's my menu for Easter dinner.

    mesclun salad
    glazed ham
    scalloped potatoes
    corn
    homemade yeast rolls
    irish cream cheese cake

    Tags:

  2. On Mon 10 Apr 2006 11:22:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?

    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    When should I arrive???

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  3. kilikini

    kilikini Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    I love scalloped potatoes! Your menu sounds great. I'm kind of jealous; we
    don't ever prepare a full menu. My hubby usually cooks for himself and I
    cook for myself because we like two totally different kinds of foods. I'm a
    Pacific-rim type and he's a full-blown hillbilly fare kind-of-guy.

    kili

  4. A Ross

    A Ross Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    ~patches~ <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    Here's mine (still a work in progress...)

    deviled eggs
    green salad
    deep-fried turkey
    steamed asparagus
    sweet potatoes
    jello salad (we call it "grandma's salad"--the fat-n-sweet kind)
    dill and onion bread
    rhubarb apple pie

    Dinner will be at our cabin--no 'lectric and the oven scares me, so we
    do most of the cooking on the grill or stovetop. Baked goods will be
    done ahead of time.

    It's our first time deep-frying a turkey--usually we brine one or two
    and roast them in our pig roaster (we can fit 2 turkeys and a huge ham
    on the spit), but since it's a small group this year, we figured
    deep-frying would be quicker and less labor intensive--though just as
    scary as the oven...

    Amy

  5. rosie

    rosie Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    OK, he we go , here is my menu---
    Fresh asparagus soup
    Roast Lamb
    Scalloped potatoes
    Spicey slaw
    Home made rools
    Barbs dessert# 3

    Rosie

  6. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    Sounds good. One of these days I may have to do the ham
    thing. I have been married for almost 34 years now. I have
    done most of the cooking in that time. I had ham steaks two
    or three times. I have never done a whole home. It's not
    that I hate it. I am just not that interested in it.

    Our Easter meal will be around 1 pm because my sister in law
    is coming and bringing her husband and picking up her aunt
    on the way. It is a two hour drive each way and she does not
    like to drive in the dark. We all love lamb so lunch will
    be :

    Leg of Lamb
    Roasted potatoes
    carrots
    asparagus
    salad
    fresh rolls (from the bakery)

    meringue shells with ice cream and/or whipping cream and
    fruit salad

  7. sf

    sf Guest

    On 10 Apr 2006 12:13:45 -0700, rosie wrote:

    > Fresh asparagus soup
    > Roast Lamb

    Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb).

  8. ~patches~ wrote:
    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    My SIL is probably getting one of those meals from the supermarket.

    Ham
    Green Salad
    Rolls
    Potato Salad (I'm making this)

    I don;t knwo what we're doing for dessert. I shoudl call her and ask if
    she needs me to make something.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    Adam Bowman wrote:
    >I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
    > then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
    > wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
    > messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
    > your intention?
    >
    > That type of argument is like
    >
    > "Bob shot someone"
    >
    > "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"

  9. In article <[email protected]>,
    sf <[email protected]> wrote:

    > Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    > Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb).

    Well, you are welcome to join us at ours where there will be three
    roast legs of lamb and one grilled, butterflied one. All marinated in
    an herb paste and a red wine pan sauce to go along with it. We're
    talking about grilling a little bit of shrimp or scallops also, we'll
    see.

    A roast turkey, because it was still in our freezer and we're feeding
    a lot of people.

    Laban bi Khiyar (yogurt and cucumber salad)
    Humus
    Baba Ghanooj (if eggplant are a good price this week)
    Waraq Ounab (stuffed grape leaves, done the proper Arab way with meat
    in them)
    Tabbouleh
    Pita Bread
    Kibbeh, I'd love to do them fried, but may not have the time so they
    may be baked.
    Falafel
    Tomatoes
    Lettuce
    Olives
    Taratoor

    Triple Chocolate Cheesecake

    Other people are bringing:

    A ham, yes I know.
    Possibly some sort of roast beef.
    Salad
    Pasta salad
    Devilled Eggs
    Veggie dishes
    Chips and Dip
    Fruit
    Dessert
    Drinks

    We'll have red, white and sparkling wine and lemonade.

    Regards,
    Ranee

    Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

    http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

  10. biig

    biig Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Mon 10 Apr 2006 11:22:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it ~patches~?
    >
    > > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    > >
    > > mesclun salad
    > > glazed ham
    > > scalloped potatoes
    > > corn
    > > homemade yeast rolls
    > > irish cream cheese cake

    > When should I arrive???
    >
    > --
    > Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬
    >
    > Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    I'll get there first....I live closer...but I'll save you
    some....maybe.........Sharon <G>

  11. Wayne Boatwright wrote on 10 Apr 2006 in rec.food.cooking

    > On Mon 10 Apr 2006 11:22:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > ~patches~?
    >
    > > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    > >
    > > mesclun salad
    > > glazed ham
    > > scalloped potatoes
    > > corn
    > > homemade yeast rolls
    > > irish cream cheese cake

    > When should I arrive???

    the 2 recipes I'm taking to my daughter's place on easter. This yr I
    don't do the turkey!! Don't know if I like this idea or not... She's a
    good cook but stuff will be different and changes made....Sigh, letting
    go control of holiday stuff ain't easy...But it is less work for me...

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Alan's Green Bean Almondine

    none

    1 1/2 lb whole green beans, trimmed
    4 slices bacon, fried crisp; (reserve fat)
    1 sm. onion, finely chopped
    1 sm. can chopped mushrooms, drained; reserve liquid
    1 cup sliced almonds
    1/2 cup parmesan cheese, grated; or to taste
    butter; to taste
    1 garlic clove; minced

    preheat oven to 350F
    Pre cook the trimmed green beans to tender crisp.

    Cook to translusent the onion, garlic and mushrooms in the bacon fat.

    Crumble the bacon.

    Toss the beans with the cheese.

    In baking dish, alternate layers of green beans with crumbled bacon,
    onion,
    mushrooms, and almonds.

    Dot well with butter. And pour over the mushroom can liquid enough to
    moisten...usually less than 1/2 availible juice.

    Add any remaining cheese crumbs to the top.

    Bake at 350 degrees until beans are finished cooking approx 20 minutes.

    @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

    Cafe Cego's Scalloped Potatoes

    none

    3 pounds red potatoes (about 6-7 large); - peeled
    1 large onion (me see note); thinly sliced
    ----- SAUCE-----
    4 cups whipping cream (me see note)
    2 tbsp flour (me see note); as thickener
    1 clove garlic minced (me see note); to taste use more
    salt -- to taste
    freshly-ground white pepper --; to taste
    ground nutmeg -- to taste
    -----TOPPING AND PREP-----
    3/4 cup grated parmesan cheese
    2 tablespoons butter -- cut into bits; topping
    2 tablespoon butter (me see note); BUTTER PAN

    Pre heat oven to 350 and butter the pan.

    Slice potatoes 1/8-inch thick in food processor or by hand.

    Arrange potato slices evenly in pre buttered pan dish. After each good
    (some over-lapping allowed) layer of potatoes add a thin layer of onions.

    Whisk cream and FLOUR salt, pepper, GARLIC and nutmeg to taste in bowl.
    Pour over potatoes. Sprinkle cheese over potatoes and dot with bits of
    butter.

    NOTES:

    I DOUBLED THE CREAM AS IT SEEMED NOT ENOUGH SO THAT IS WHERE THE FLOUR
    CAME
    FROM. Half and half would work. as the original recipe made a thin runny
    sauce I ALSO ADDED THE ONION.

    FUTURE: CAYANNE PEPPER OR GROUND CHIPOLTE PEPPER MIGHT BE NICE IN THIS. a
    pinch or so I ALSO MADE THE GARLIC MINCED AND ADDED IT TO THE SAUCE.
    Previously you were to rub the pan but that stopped pre-buttering it so
    things changed

    Bake at 375 degrees until browned and bubbly, 50 minutes.

    This recipe yields 6 to 8 servings.

    Each of 8 servings: 409 calories; 268 mg sodium; 97 mg cholesterol; 28
    grams fat; 33 grams carbohydrates; 9 grams protein; 0.73 gram fiber.

    Source: 'The Los Angeles Times, 08-02-2000' S(Formatted for MC5):
    '10-28-2000 by Joe Comiskey - [email protected]'

    -Alan

  12. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 12:59:22 -0700, Ranee Mueller wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    > > Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb).

    > Well, you are welcome to join us at ours where there will be three
    > roast legs of lamb and one grilled, butterflied one. All marinated in
    > an herb paste and a red wine pan sauce to go along with it. We're
    > talking about grilling a little bit of shrimp or scallops also, we'll
    > see.

    Mmmm. Your menu sounds great (I'll be there with bells on, so you
    won't miss me in that crowd)! Don't get me wrong - I'm not against
    ham... but it simply *can't* be the only meat on an Easter table.

    :)

  13. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Dave Smith wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >

    >>Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >>
    >>mesclun salad
    >>glazed ham
    >>scalloped potatoes
    >>corn
    >>homemade yeast rolls
    >>irish cream cheese cake

    > Sounds good. One of these days I may have to do the ham
    > thing. I have been married for almost 34 years now. I have
    > done most of the cooking in that time. I had ham steaks two
    > or three times. I have never done a whole home. It's not
    > that I hate it. I am just not that interested in it.

    We've been married almost as long. Some days it seems longer ;) Just
    kidding. I've done a lot of hams as everyone loves it. Leftover ham
    makes great sandwiches too. Now the kids have grown there are seldom
    leftovers as each takes a bit to take home. I kind of miss the days of
    lots of leftover ham. Ham steaks are usually bbq'ed for dinner or fried
    for breakfast.

    > Our Easter meal will be around 1 pm because my sister in law
    > is coming and bringing her husband and picking up her aunt
    > on the way. It is a two hour drive each way and she does not
    > like to drive in the dark. We all love lamb so lunch will
    > be :
    >
    > Leg of Lamb
    > Roasted potatoes
    > carrots
    > asparagus
    > salad
    > fresh rolls (from the bakery)
    >
    > meringue shells with ice cream and/or whipping cream and
    > fruit salad

    Your meal sounds lovely! We just started into lamb. It's expensive
    here but I can get it cheaper in the US. I'm upto cooking lamb chops.
    A whole leg of lamb rather scares me yet.

  14. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 19:53:30 GMT, sarah bennett wrote:

    > My SIL is probably getting one of those meals from the supermarket.
    >
    > Ham
    > Green Salad
    > Rolls
    > Potato Salad (I'm making this)
    >
    > I don;t knwo what we're doing for dessert. I shoudl call her and ask if
    > she needs me to make something.

    Sounds like a good time to make a Clafouti, which was mentioned in
    another thread today.

  15. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    sf wrote:

    > On 10 Apr 2006 12:13:45 -0700, rosie wrote:
    >

    >> Fresh asparagus soup
    >> Roast Lamb

    > Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    > Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb).

    <shrug> It likely depends on your location. Here lamb is quite
    expensive. Ham is somewhat expensive but considerably cheaper than lamb.
    Besides, I don't recall an actual reference to "Easter dinner" in
    the bible as to what was eaten although there are referances to the
    "Last Supper". IMO, since those damn rabbits tend to come out around
    Easter reeking havoic on innocent gardens the meal of choice should be
    rabbit stew ;)

  16. jake

    jake Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    Over teh aslt couple of days, I've been seeing offers for roasts and
    things similar to roasts that are easy to cook. Then there is sparkling
    wine and salmon and all kinds of things. I never knew people had special
    meals at Easter, other than lots of eggs for breakfast. Maybe it's new
    here, though. Supermarkets kooking for ways to get people to spend more
    money.

    So it's a interesting to see so many people in this ng have special
    plans. The one holiday I like is Easter - because it *doesn't* have the
    family pressure of obligatory fun like Christmas and such do. But maybe
    I've got it all wrong and Easter is liek the other holidays and I just
    didn't know. I hope Easter will remain my safe holiday, though :)

    My treat this year for Easter: matzoh. Haven't had them for about 20
    years and am looking forward to having them. I think I'll top them with
    cottage cheese. Maybe salmon, too.

    Maybe I'll make matzoh balls out of any left over matzoh. But maybe I
    won't - there are easier ways for making dumplings, really :)

  17. On Mon 10 Apr 2006 01:02:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?

    > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    >>
    >> On Mon 10 Apr 2006 11:22:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    >> ~patches~?
    >>
    >> > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >> >
    >> > mesclun salad
    >> > glazed ham
    >> > scalloped potatoes corn
    >> > homemade yeast rolls irish cream cheese cake

    >> When should I arrive???
    >>
    >> --
    >> Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬ ________________________________________
    >>
    >> Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    > I'll get there first....I live closer...but I'll save you
    > some....maybe.........Sharon <G>

    Gosh, that's biig of you, Sharon! :)

    --
    Wayne Boatwright Õ¿Õ¬

  18. ms_peacock

    ms_peacock Guest

    "~patches~" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake

    We'll be having

    grilled chicken
    potato salad
    baked beans
    devilled eggs

    I don't know yet what's for dessert or what any of the other sides will be
    since a friend will be making that part of dinner.

    Ms P

  19. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Ranee Mueller wrote:

    > In article <[email protected]>,
    > sf <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    >>Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb).

    > Well, you are welcome to join us at ours where there will be three
    > roast legs of lamb and one grilled, butterflied one. All marinated in
    > an herb paste and a red wine pan sauce to go along with it. We're
    > talking about grilling a little bit of shrimp or scallops also, we'll
    > see.
    >
    > A roast turkey, because it was still in our freezer and we're feeding
    > a lot of people.
    >
    > Laban bi Khiyar (yogurt and cucumber salad)
    > Humus
    > Baba Ghanooj (if eggplant are a good price this week)

    Recipe please? I did a google after seeing it on foodtv but couldn't
    find it. I'd like to find at least one way to use eggplant that we all
    like.

    > Waraq Ounab (stuffed grape leaves, done the proper Arab way with meat
    > in them)

    Another recipe please? Those sound really good!

    > Tabbouleh
    > Pita Bread
    > Kibbeh, I'd love to do them fried, but may not have the time so they
    > may be baked.

    Always raw here. Served in pita bread with a drizzling of olive oil and
    little sprinkling of cumin.

    > Falafel
    > Tomatoes
    > Lettuce
    > Olives
    > Taratoor
    >
    > Triple Chocolate Cheesecake
    >
    > Other people are bringing:
    >
    > A ham, yes I know.
    > Possibly some sort of roast beef.
    > Salad
    > Pasta salad
    > Devilled Eggs
    > Veggie dishes
    > Chips and Dip
    > Fruit
    > Dessert
    > Drinks
    >
    > We'll have red, white and sparkling wine and lemonade.
    >
    > Regards,
    > Ranee
    >
    > Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.
    >
    > "She seeks wool and flax, and works with willing hands." Prov 31:13
    >
    > http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
    > http://talesfromthekitchen.blogspot.com/

  20. biig

    biig Guest

    Wayne Boatwright wrote:

    > On Mon 10 Apr 2006 01:02:33p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it biig?
    >

    > > Wayne Boatwright wrote:
    > >>
    > >> On Mon 10 Apr 2006 11:22:17a, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
    > >> ~patches~?

    > >> When should I arrive???
    > >>
    > >> --
    > >>
    > >> Okay, okay, I take it back! UnScrew you!

    > > I'll get there first....I live closer...but I'll save you
    > > some....maybe.........Sharon <G>
    > >

    > Gosh, that's biig of you, Sharon! :)

    LOL....