Easter Menu

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by ~patches~, Apr 10, 2006.

  1. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:
    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >
    >> ~patches~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >>>
    >>> mesclun salad
    >>> glazed ham
    >>> scalloped potatoes
    >>> corn
    >>> homemade yeast rolls
    >>> irish cream cheese cake

    >>
    >>
    >> My SIL is probably getting one of those meals from the supermarket.

    >
    > Mine is not from the supermarket and I don't appreciate the implication,
    > thief.


    Oh jeesuz. STFU, Patches. Sarah never implied YOUR meal was from the
    supermarket.
     


  2. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    sf wrote:

    > > Fresh asparagus soup
    > > Roast Lamb

    >
    > Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    > Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb)


    Yeah. I don't understand ham either. I don't really care much for ham at
    any time of the year. We never had lamb in our house when I was a young,
    thanks to my father eating a lot of mutton overseas during the war. My
    mother liked it but never served it. Leg of Lamb was *the* Easter dinner
    tradition in my wife's family. That is one in law tradition I gladly
    adopted.
     
  3. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    jake wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >
    >> Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >>
    >> mesclun salad
    >> glazed ham
    >> scalloped potatoes
    >> corn
    >> homemade yeast rolls
    >> irish cream cheese cake

    >
    >
    > Over teh aslt couple of days, I've been seeing offers for roasts and
    > things similar to roasts that are easy to cook. Then there is sparkling
    > wine and salmon and all kinds of things. I never knew people had special
    > meals at Easter, other than lots of eggs for breakfast. Maybe it's new
    > here, though. Supermarkets kooking for ways to get people to spend more
    > money.
    >
    > So it's a interesting to see so many people in this ng have special
    > plans. The one holiday I like is Easter - because it *doesn't* have the
    > family pressure of obligatory fun like Christmas and such do. But maybe
    > I've got it all wrong and Easter is liek the other holidays and I just
    > didn't know. I hope Easter will remain my safe holiday, though :)


    Oh really? Our family Easter involves 3 invites as well as our dinner
    that we try to reserve for our kids and their spouses. I hate Easter
    commercialism because I totally detest chocolate. We don't do the egg
    thing but this year we might. I have a little activity involving golf
    clubs and eggs flying into the water. Trust me in this family meaning
    my extended relatives, *every* holiday is a horrid experiences leaving
    you gritting your teeth. The next one is the May 24 weekend. Heck, I'm
    not even going to go there. It's worse than Christmas, Hallowe'en,
    Thanksgiving, and Easter all rolled into one. Not good. DH and I are
    planning a nice quite get away with the answering service shut off about
    a week before ;)

    >
    > My treat this year for Easter: matzoh. Haven't had them for about 20
    > years and am looking forward to having them. I think I'll top them with
    > cottage cheese. Maybe salmon, too.
    >
    > Maybe I'll make matzoh balls out of any left over matzoh. But maybe I
    > won't - there are easier ways for making dumplings, really :)
     
  4. ~patches~

    ~patches~ Guest

    Goomba38 wrote:

    > ~patches~ wrote:
    >
    >> sarah bennett wrote:
    >>
    >>> ~patches~ wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >>>>
    >>>> mesclun salad
    >>>> glazed ham
    >>>> scalloped potatoes
    >>>> corn
    >>>> homemade yeast rolls
    >>>> irish cream cheese cake
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> My SIL is probably getting one of those meals from the supermarket.

    >>
    >>
    >> Mine is not from the supermarket and I don't appreciate the
    >> implication, thief.

    >
    >
    > Oh jeesuz. STFU, Patches. Sarah never implied YOUR meal was from the
    > supermarket.


    You know, perhaps reading my posts is just a little more than your blood
    pressure can tolerate. Please use your killfile as needed.

    ObFood: I make the scalloped potatoes without cheese. The potatoes are
    sliced thinly and sauce added. Two rules, butter only and the potatoes
    are always topped with fresh parsley or chives. This year chives are up
    faster than parsley so it will likely be chives.
     
  5. sf <[email protected]> writes:

    >Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    >Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb).


    Every year I feel like I'm the only person on RFC who doesn't have an
    Easter dinner. I've never celebrated Easter, but mom did like to use
    the excuse to make a nice dinner, especially last year when she was
    sick. So now this year Easter has bad memories instead of just being a
    holiday I never thought about. Feh :(
    Oh, and DH will be home on the couch recovering from minor surgery
    this weekend, too. I'll be thinking of you all while I eat Chinese
    delivery and watch MST3K to try to get my mind off everything.

    Stacia
    hates holidays
    all of them
     
  6. ~patches~ wrote:
    > Goomba38 wrote:
    >
    >> ~patches~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> sarah bennett wrote:
    >>>
    >>>> ~patches~ wrote:
    >>>>
    >>>>> Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >>>>>
    >>>>> mesclun salad
    >>>>> glazed ham
    >>>>> scalloped potatoes
    >>>>> corn
    >>>>> homemade yeast rolls
    >>>>> irish cream cheese cake
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>>
    >>>> My SIL is probably getting one of those meals from the supermarket.
    >>>
    >>>
    >>>
    >>> Mine is not from the supermarket and I don't appreciate the
    >>> implication, thief.

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> Oh jeesuz. STFU, Patches. Sarah never implied YOUR meal was from the
    >> supermarket.

    >
    >
    > You know, perhaps reading my posts is just a little more than your blood
    > pressure can tolerate. Please use your killfile as needed.
    >


    And I think usenet is just a little more than your crazy can take. FOAD!



    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    Adam Bowman wrote:
    >I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
    > then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
    > wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
    > messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
    > your intention?
    >
    > That type of argument is like
    >
    > "Bob shot someone"
    >
    > "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"
    >
     
  7. Dave Smith

    Dave Smith Guest

    ~patches~ wrote:

    > > So it's a interesting to see so many people in this ng have special
    > > plans. The one holiday I like is Easter - because it *doesn't* have the
    > > family pressure of obligatory fun like Christmas and such do. But maybe
    > > I've got it all wrong and Easter is liek the other holidays and I just
    > > didn't know. I hope Easter will remain my safe holiday, though :)

    >
    > Oh really? Our family Easter involves 3 invites as well as our dinner
    > that we try to reserve for our kids and their spouses. I hate Easter
    > commercialism because I totally detest chocolate. We don't do the egg
    > thing but this year we might. I have a little activity involving golf
    > clubs and eggs flying into the water. Trust me in this family meaning
    > my extended relatives, *every* holiday is a horrid experiences leaving
    > you gritting your teeth.


    What would we do without families and the holidays with implied automatic
    family invites? My wife lives for special holiday dinners. She loves to do
    the decorations and the traditional dinners. We always used to have my parents
    here, except for Christmas which was always at their place. Later on I
    started delaying invitations to give my three brothers a chance to invite
    them. If They didn't get other invites they were always welcome here.

    My wife likes to invite her family too. Ever try to herd cats?

    After two weeks and a dozen phone calls and emails my sister and law and her
    husband are coming, and on their way down they are picking up her aunt. The
    uncle has to stay home for an open house at their condo.
     
  8. sf

    sf Guest

    On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:53:20 -0400, ~patches~ wrote:

    > Trust me in this family meaning
    > my extended relatives, *every* holiday is a horrid experiences leaving
    > you gritting your teeth.


    I'm sorry to hear that. I love holidays! Thanksgiving and Easter are
    "whole family" occasions (and becomming times of great nostalgia now),
    but on the years we felt like dropping out, we did, and there were no
    unpleasant repercussions.
    --

    Practice safe eating. Always use condiments.
     
  9. Default User

    Default User Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:

    > Every year I feel like I'm the only person on RFC who doesn't have
    > an Easter dinner.


    I won't be. I'm a non-believer, so I don't do it for myself, and we
    don't have a family tradition of shared Easter now that we're grownups
    (chronologically speaking).

    Sunday I'll be at the Blues game with My Friend The Vice President. He
    won't get in trouble because his wife is Greek Orthodox, so Easter
    isn't until the next Sunday this year.



    Brian
    --
    If televison's a babysitter, the Internet is a drunk librarian who
    won't shut up.
    -- Dorothy Gambrell (http://catandgirl.com)
     
  10. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 17:44:02 -0400, Dave Smith
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Yeah. I don't understand ham either. I don't really care much for ham at
    >any time of the year. We never had lamb in our house when I was a young,
    >thanks to my father eating a lot of mutton overseas during the war. My
    >mother liked it but never served it. Leg of Lamb was *the* Easter dinner
    >tradition in my wife's family. That is one in law tradition I gladly
    >adopted.


    We don't have $45 for a leg of lamb, but we had $10 for the picnic ham
    we bought for Easter dinner. Pretty easy to understand that one.

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
     
  11. On Mon, 10 Apr 2006 22:19:44 +0000 (UTC), [email protected] (Glitter
    Ninja) wrote:

    > Oh, and DH will be home on the couch recovering from minor surgery
    >this weekend, too. I'll be thinking of you all while I eat Chinese
    >delivery and watch MST3K to try to get my mind off everything


    I hope your husband's surgery goes well and that his recovery goes
    even better. Hug him some place that doesn't hurt for me, okay?

    Carol
    --

    Some people are like Slinkies... they don't really have a purpose but
    they bring a smile to your face when you push them down the stairs.

    Stolen from "traid" on the IRC
     
  12. ~patches~ wrote:
    > sarah bennett wrote:
    >
    >> ~patches~ wrote:
    >>
    >>> Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >>>
    >>> mesclun salad
    >>> glazed ham
    >>> scalloped potatoes
    >>> corn
    >>> homemade yeast rolls
    >>> irish cream cheese cake

    >>
    >>
    >>
    >> My SIL is probably getting one of those meals from the supermarket.

    >
    >
    > Mine is not from the supermarket and I don't appreciate the implication,
    > thief. Your sil is free to do as she chooses. I'm making all of the
    > above including the cheese cake from scratch although I did not cure the
    > ham. Scallop potatoes are always made from scratch. You should know
    > from my posts, you know the ones you don't steal, that I do things from
    > scratch.


    BTW, how's the weather in Boulder?

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.cmayes.net/blog/

    email:
    anisaerah at s b c global.net

    Adam Bowman wrote:
    >I always wonder when someone brings up a point about Bush, and you
    > then bring up something that Clinton did, are you saying they are both
    > wrong? Because that's all it points out to me, places where they both
    > messed up. It doesn't negate the fact that Bush did wrong; was that
    > your intention?
    >
    > That type of argument is like
    >
    > "Bob shot someone"
    >
    > "Yeah, but don't you remember when Don hit that guy with a bat?"
    >
     
  13. Jude

    Jude Guest

    ms_peacock wrote:

    > grilled chicken
    > potato salad
    > baked beans
    > devilled eggs
    >


    Glad I'm not the only one eating non-traditional foods for
    Easter...we're having an Easter BBQ on Saturday night.

    Starters:
    Chips & spinach dip
    devilled eggs
    celery stuffed with bleu cheese and hazelnuts
    crackers, cream cheese, and red pepper - cherry jelly

    Dinner:
    Shrimp and pineapple kabobs with Mississippi vanilla BBQ sauce
    Grilled chicken and mahi-mahi with regular BBQ sauce
    Cornbread
    Baked Beans
    Vegi Kabobs
    Potaot Salad
    Strawberry pretzel jello salad

    Dessert:
    Mini oreo cheesecakes
    crumb topped blueberry pie

    Beverages: Soda, sweet tea, lemonade, white zinfandel
     
  14. On 10 Apr 2006 22:34:53 GMT, "Default User" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Glitter Ninja wrote:
    >
    >> Every year I feel like I'm the only person on RFC who doesn't have
    >> an Easter dinner.

    >
    >I won't be. I'm a non-believer, so I don't do it for myself, and we
    >don't have a family tradition of shared Easter now that we're grownups
    >(chronologically speaking).
    >
    >Sunday I'll be at the Blues game with My Friend The Vice President. He
    >won't get in trouble because his wife is Greek Orthodox, so Easter
    >isn't until the next Sunday this year.


    And I will be in the midst of the trek from California to NM.
    Hmm...maybe I can stop and find an Easter dinner somewhere in the
    wilds of NM... ;)

    Christine
     
  15. biig

    biig Guest


    >
    > ObFood: I make the scalloped potatoes without cheese. The potatoes are
    > sliced thinly and sauce added. Two rules, butter only and the potatoes
    > are always topped with fresh parsley or chives. This year chives are up
    > faster than parsley so it will likely be chives.


    I'm trying to grow some herbs, starting them inside with a grow
    light. The chives came up really quick, then kind of quit. they are
    still mostly green, but limp. Do yours come up outside this early in
    the season? .....Sharon
     
  16. Goomba38

    Goomba38 Guest

    ms_peacock wrote:

    > You'd think from the way she goes on she is the only person on the planet
    > that cooks from scratch.
    >
    > Ms P


    If I scratch while I cook, does that count?
     
  17. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:
    >
    > If you want to paste my fat ass on a t-shirt, by all means, go ahead. A
    > fat-stretched-out belly hanging over worn-out underwear is just *so* hot.
    > I am a horrible typist. Sorry if that bothers you.


    can I get me one of these?
    If not a shirt then an apron?


    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
     
  18. ~patches~ wrote:

    > Here's my menu for Easter dinner.
    >
    > mesclun salad
    > glazed ham
    > scalloped potatoes
    > corn
    > homemade yeast rolls
    > irish cream cheese cake



    I'm still planning to mostly-copy what Ward's making:

    Cream of Asparagus Soup
    (Jack Schidt's) Strawberry Spring Salad
    Apricot Glazed Ham
    Anadama Bread
    Balsamic-Roasted Spring Vegetables with Israeli Couscous
    Rhubarb Crisp with (homemade) Vanilla Ice Cream

    For wines, I'll have an Oregon Pinot Gris with the soup and dinner, and a
    Moscato d'Asti with dessert. I'll also have iced tea (with a wide variety
    of Torani syrups available if diners want to flavor it) and ice water.


    Bob
     
  19. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Glitter Ninja wrote:
    > sf <[email protected]> writes:
    >
    >>Now, that's a "proper" Easter dinner! I've never understood "ham" at
    >>Easter (other than it rhymes with lamb).

    >
    > Every year I feel like I'm the only person on RFC who doesn't have an
    > Easter dinner. I've never celebrated Easter, but mom did like to use
    > the excuse to make a nice dinner, especially last year when she was
    > sick. So now this year Easter has bad memories instead of just being a
    > holiday I never thought about. Feh :(
    > Oh, and DH will be home on the couch recovering from minor surgery
    > this weekend, too. I'll be thinking of you all while I eat Chinese
    > delivery and watch MST3K to try to get my mind off everything.
    >
    > Stacia
    > hates holidays
    > all of them
    >


    get some ice cream too, I recently re-discovered coffee heath bar crunch.

    Take care of yourself.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!
     
  20. Jude

    Jude Guest

    Bob Terwilliger wrote:


    > (Jack Schidt's) Strawberry Spring Salad


    Details? I made my aut helen's spinach-strawberry-pecan salad with
    poppyseed dressing tonight. I love fruit in salads.


    > Anadama Bread


    Which is......?

    > Balsamic-Roasted Spring Vegetables with Israeli Couscous


    Oh, yum!

    > Rhubarb Crisp with (homemade) Vanilla Ice Cream


    Stupid grocery had rhubarb for about 1 day. If i could hope to find it,
    I'd make either a pie, or barbs cake. Or both.
     
Loading...