Easter Monday event article

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Wafflycathcsdir, Apr 23, 2003.

  1. There's an article on the Easter Monday event Vernon & I marshalled at on the online edition of the
    local rag the EDP. Can be found at

    http://tinyurl.com/a4br

    "CYCLING: API duo survive unlucky breaks

    FERGUS MUIR

    April 23, 2003 08:30

    The API bikes pair, Zak Carr and Glenn Taylor, won the Tour of Breckland team time trial despite
    Carr breaking first one side and then the other of his tri-bar extensions.

    The first side broke about halfway through the 20-mile event; Carr continued holding the remaining
    bar, but as the pair passed the timekeepers the second side snapped.

    The 35th edition of the traditional Easter event took the pairs of riders from Weeting, through
    Thetford Forest to Mundford and along a rolling A134 to Whittington on the edge of the Fens, before
    returning to Weeting. It was a bright spring morning with a helpful breeze on the middle section.

    There was a tie for second place with Richard Bradley and Bobby De'ath from the promoting CC
    Breckland and Anglia Velo pair Martin Pyne and Andy Everett both recording 44:43, 1:20 down on API.
    Bradley felt that he and De'ath had worked better together than in the recent King's Lynn CC 2-up.

    With 116 entries, the Great Yarmouth CC Good Friday "10" had a festive feel, though the cold
    headwind on the return leg from Redenhall to Bungay prevented many fast times.

    Among the local "names", Jim Burgess lost out by a single second to regular visitor Ian Cammish,
    while Andy Hutchison had a similar margin over Brian Phillips, a rider who was at the top of time
    trialling 20 years ago and is starting to return to prominence locally. Martin Pyne was best by 28
    seconds in his ongoing battle with Lee McDermott.

    Mark Elmy of the Godric CC won the handicap overall and the David Munnings Shield for the best
    local performance in this section. The IT expert from Bungay has returned to the sport after a
    17-year lay-off.

    Jenny Anderson (GYCC), in contrast, has not previously raced, though she has long been a keen
    cyclist. Jenny was first lady and third overall and third on handicap, one place ahead of
    Laurie Abel, a Norwich-based member of the CC Breckland, who comes from a background in
    mountain-bike racing.

    Another newcomer doing well on handicap was the promoting club's Nigel Rudd, while a new name in the
    veteran on standard list was East Anglian CC's Terry Laws.

    Local roadmen contested the Harlow Road Race, where the field split apart on the first lap. API's
    North Elmham member Geoff Frost set off to bridge the gap with Ray Hughes, soon being joined by
    Eastern Region Velo riders Chris Guy, Glenn Stanford, Shaun Aldous and Ben Nicholson.

    The group joined the leaders and at the line Guy took third place, Stanford fourth, Aldous fifth,
    Nicholson sixth and Frost 13th.

    Entries for the Elite race at the Bungay Mayday Races now include James Taylor (City of Edinburgh
    RC), previous winner Gary Baker and Tony Gibb (Team PCA).

    Regional Championship status has now been awarded to the Under-12 and U14 races as well as that for
    Under-16s. Details from 01986-896070."

    Cheers, helen s

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    ~~~~~~~~~~

    Tags:

  2. Dave

    Dave Guest

    > There's an article on the Easter Monday event Vernon & I marshalled at on
    the
    > online edition of the local rag the EDP. Can be found at
    >
    > http://tinyurl.com/a4br
    >
    > "CYCLING: API duo survive unlucky breaks
    >
    > FERGUS MUIR
    >
    > April 23, 2003 08:30
    >
    > The API bikes pair, Zak Carr and Glenn Taylor, won the Tour of Breckland
    team
    > time trial despite Carr breaking first one side and then the other of his tri-bar extensions.
    >
    > The first side broke about halfway through the 20-mile event; Carr
    continued
    > holding the remaining bar, but as the pair passed the timekeepers the
    second
    > side snapped.

    Good report, helen. Any chance of finding out the make of the tri-bar extensions. Must make a mental
    note not to buy anything ever made by the company ;-) Many thanks, Dave.

  3. >Good report, helen.

    Thanks - but it's not *my* report :) Report in local rag done by one Fergus Muir who is acknowledged
    at start of report.

    >Any chance of finding out the make of the tri-bar extensions. Must make a mental note not to buy
    >anything ever made by the company ;-)

    I can try!

    Cheers, helen s