Eastern Creek 12hr Ride

pug_ant

Jun 15, 2005
Hi,

I've heard some second hand info from a mate of mine (who heard from a friend of friend... etc) about a 12hr cycle challenge at eastern creek raceway in may. I was kinda interested in getting a couple of mates together and giving this a go but I've been having trouble finding any info about it. Looking around the internet I found this site

http://www.brightorangeevents.com/12cc.htm

however it doesn't seem to have any info. If anyone knows anything about this or has done it before I'd love to get some details or hear about it.

Cheers
Anthony

pug_ant said:
Hi,

I've heard some second hand info from a mate of mine (who heard from a friend of friend... etc) about a 12hr cycle challenge at eastern creek raceway in may. I was kinda interested in getting a couple of mates together and giving this a go but I've been having trouble finding any info about it. Looking around the internet I found this site

however it doesn't seem to have any info. If anyone knows anything about this or has done it before I'd love to get some details or hear about it.

Cheers
Anthony
is it a mtb event or road event?

not really sure, my mate thought it was a road event but looking at that website it seemed to be mtb.

His information was sketchy at best, it just sounded interesting

pug_ant said:
Hi,

Cheers
Anthony

I did it last year. It's a road event around the main Eastern Creek raceway. You have the option of solo through to I think teams of 6.

Last time out while most riders were on road bikes, there were teams on mtb, tandems, birdy folding bikes and recumbents. There was even a guy on a unicycle who did one lap. Sounds chaotic? It's generally not. The raceway is wide enough in most places for 3 V8 supercars to run side by side so bikes were generally no issue other the the recumbents who seemed unable to hold lines on high speed exits and the organizers might want to consider not including this year. I wrote a review http://chaos-9.com/cycling/12hr.html. I did it solo and did around a double century. I'll probably have another go this year.

--brett

mikesbytes said:
Hey Anthony, did you end up entering? It's on this Saturday.
Nah, I was really keen to, but my inconsiderate little brother decided that he would hold his 21st b'day party this saturday. It was a tough decision but I thought I probably should do the good big brother thing and go. So hence I'm riding to wollongong this saturday.

Good luck to everyone in it though, I thought it sounded like a lot of fun.

Going on previous experience with the promoter I wouldn't be holding my breath for results. We're still waiting for the overall series results for last years Working Week Series.:confused:

I rode the event solo on my fixed gear and had a great time, except for the second storm that came through, by that time I had had enough and quit after riding another hour after the rain.

slamdunk said:
Going on previous experience with the promoter I wouldn't be holding my breath for results. We're still waiting for the overall series results for last years Working Week Series.:confused:

I rode the event solo on my fixed gear and had a great time, except for the second storm that came through, by that time I had had enough and quit after riding another hour after the rain.
Had wondered about the weather, a shame, the rain didn't hit in the inner west or eastern suburbs where I was, apart from a few drops.

Previously I had requested last years results, but go no response.

Slamdunk, was it your first ride in the 12 hour ?

Yes, it was the first time I rode the 12 Hour at Eastern Creek, but I've done plenty of 8 hour?12 hour 100km MTB races before.

There was a fair bit of rain during the day as well, made the track very wet, especially turn 9 which had quite a few people coming off, I took it very easy around there all day, it was the only place I was worried about pedal strike. In fact I didn't touch the brakes over the first 100km or so of the race, and only really used them before turn 9 while it was still wet.

mikesbytes said:
Had wondered about the weather, a shame, the rain didn't hit in the inner west or eastern suburbs where I was, apart from a few drops.

Previously I had requested last years results, but go no response.

The rain was terrible in about the 9th hour. I think there may have even been little bits of hail. Coming out of the main straight and past turn 1 hail or not it was definitely stinging on my exposed legs and arms. Only lasted a lap or two, then fined up again. We were camped up on the grass right opposite turn 9 and while I didn't see anyone come down in the hard rain, the light rain earlier resulted in at least 5 people coming down that I saw.

My experience with Bright Orange is they don't respond to emails. They did however send out a spreadsheet with the results somewhere around a month later from memory. I probably still have this someplace, if you send me a pm I can dig it out and relay it on if it's still of interest.

--brett