Eastern Pedal help pls...

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Candt, Jan 26, 2003.

  1. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Hopefully someone will have some advice. I have a year old pair Eastern pedals like these

    http://www.bmxer.de/shop2002/index.html?d__Eastern_Bikes_Pedals1217.htm

    (but not the sealed bearing versions like these - mine have a black plastic cap on the end, not the
    silver bolted version shown here)

    and the problem is that I think some grit or water has goto into the bearings on the spindle side,
    and its making a scratching noise, and you can feel it doesnt turn smoothly. The problem is that I
    tried the old technique of drilling a small hole in the end cap - and pumping grease through, but no
    joy - the grease doesnt leave the top end under the cap, in fact the pressure just forces the grease
    out of the edges of the top cap.

    Now there is a nut under there, which looks like it would allow complete dismantling of the pedal,
    but it looks like the top of the bolt has been hammered to stop the nut from coming off.... So a
    couple of questions - do I even want to dismantle this pedal? Am I going to be able to re-assemble
    it if I can get this nut off? Doesnt anyone know of a way of re-greasing the spindle side?

    I really love these pedals - and would hate to see them go to waste because 1 bearing has gone or
    its just dirt...

    Cheers,

    CandT

    Tags:

  2. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    CandT ==from uk.rec.cycling== wrote:
    > Hopefully someone will have some advice.

    This is an ideal question for rec.bicycles.tech, so I'm cross-posting it for
    you..................... ~PB

[...]

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Sorry it got broken up. Take 2.........................

    CandT wrote:
    > Hopefully someone will have some advice. I have a year old pair Eastern pedals like these
    >
    > http://www.bmxer.de/shop2002/index.html?d__Eastern_Bikes_Pedals1217.htm
    >
    > (but not the sealed bearing versions like these - mine have a black plastic cap on the end, not
    > the silver bolted version shown here)
    >
    > and the problem is that I think some grit or water has goto into the bearings on the spindle side,
    > and its making a scratching noise, and you can feel it doesnt turn smoothly. The problem is that I
    > tried the old technique of drilling a small hole in the end cap - and pumping grease through, but
    > no joy - the grease doesnt leave the top end under the cap, in fact the pressure just forces the
    > grease out of the edges of the top cap.
    >
    > Now there is a nut under there, which looks like it would allow complete dismantling of the pedal,
    > but it looks like the top of the bolt has been hammered to stop the nut from coming off.... So a
    > couple of questions - do I even want to dismantle this pedal? Am I going to be able to re-assemble
    > it if I can get this nut off? Doesnt anyone know of a way of re-greasing the spindle side?
    >
    > I really love these pedals - and would hate to see them go to waste because 1 bearing has gone or
    > its just dirt...
    >
    > Cheers,
    >
    > CandT

  4. Candt

    Candt Guest

    Thanks for that but...

    Oh well - did it anyway - and hey presto - 1 serviced pedal !!! Bearings
    removed, degreased, cleaned, and more new grease than a McDnalds burger...

    The noise I found out was the fact that the grease on that side had almost completely gone, to be
    replaced by a strange muddy brown watery solution...

    Hmm - hubs next ??? ;-)

    Cheers all who bothered to read my posts

    CandT