Easton EA70 VS EA90 wheelset

Glen75

Jun 11, 2007
I'm looking to purchase a set of Easton EA70 wheels or the EA 90SL. They both run 24F 28R spokes which is what i want being a heavier rider. Is there much other idfference or benefit with the 90's over 70's?

1 other question, are the Campag 11s compatible? I would assume so, but better to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

Glen75 said:
I'm looking to purchase a set of Easton EA70 wheels or the EA 90SL. They both run 24F 28R spokes which is what i want being a heavier rider. Is there much other idfference or benefit with the 90's over 70's?

1 other question, are the Campag 11s compatible? I would assume so, but better to be sure.

Thanks in advance.

'Heavier rider', how 'heavy". In terms of weight or technique?

If you are a 'heavier' rider you really shouldn't be looking at these wheels at all. A designed and built for you wheelset would be a better choice, more reliable and probably cheaper.

Based on my experience with the Circuits over the past 25K miles, would say Easton makes some great wheels. The EA70s are like the old Circuits: the value end of the lineup. The 90s have a nicer finish, slightly fancier hubs and rims, and the weight-savings (often overrated) but doubt they really perform any better over the long run. If the extra money is no issue for you, get the 90s, but I'll bet you'll be happy with 70s.

Having said all that, Peter makes a good point about conventional wheels. The Eastons are designed to be race wheels after all, meaning not really best for 100kg riders doing recreational riding or long multi-day tours. For those uses, a well-built 32 or 36 spoke wheel should offer the same or better durability with greater ease of maintenance and lower cost over the long run.

Hey,

I've got both EA90 Aeros and EA70s in the stable, and find them perfectly suitable for both training and racing: never had a wheel-related issue. Easton is a brilliant manufacturer and the stores I deal with swear by these wheels.

The EA90's are 10-15% better than the EA70's. If it was my money, I'd stick with the EA70's.

Hope this helps.

HF

Glen75 said:

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I've got campy 11s, so yes, it works.

HF

Glen75 said:

Thanks in advance.

Agreed I'm riding 90 aero's myself and love them. riding centuries, metric centuries, 1 oly tri and 1 sprint tri - they have done me very well even on the recreational laps around central park.