Easton EA90 SLX Question?

theeeeric

May 13, 2010
Just bought me the ea90slx wheelset and when I free wheel the rear wheel it seems to spin for only a very short time before stopping. compared to my previous wheels that seemed to spin forever, these seem to spin for a very short time. i checked with a mechanic at an lbs and he said that this is normal for these wheels and when riding, there is no problem. my friend who has the same wheelset has the same situation. anyone else have this? or think there is something wrong? or is this just normal. when i ride, there does seem to be no problems.

theeeeric said:
Just bought me the ea90slx wheelset and when I free wheel the rear wheel it seems to spin for only a very short time before stopping. compared to my previous wheels that seemed to spin forever, these seem to spin for a very short time. i checked with a mechanic at an lbs and he said that this is normal for these wheels and when riding, there is no problem. my friend who has the same wheelset has the same situation. anyone else have this? or think there is something wrong? or is this just normal. when i ride, there does seem to be no problems.

How it spins in your hand has nothing to do with the wheel's performance. Nothing. It is a trick used by some LBS, some companies, and some "journalists" though, to feed customers and/or readers BS. What matters is how it works on the road.

The bearing preload adjustment on hub may be too tight. This should be able to be manually adjusted by turning counterclockwise on the cone-shaped part on the non-drive side of the hub. With the wheel on the bike, unlock the quick release and rotate the preload adjuster counterclockwise (- etched on the hub). Retighten the quick release and see if it spins better. If not, loosen some more and retest. If you loosen it too much you'll feel side to side play in the wheel. The front wheel is tuned similarly, but the hub doesn't have the label, just some radial groves to grab onto. Hope this helps!

I have some Easton EA90 SLX wheels I got about 6 months ago. I remember reading a note that new seals drag more than old ones and that the friction would diminish over time. I am pretty sure this was in some of the literature that came with the wheels.

I haven't noticed a problem with mine, but the freewheel was very loud when they were new. That has gotten a bit better with time.

i just bought a set of EA90 SLX and noticed that the rear wheel had some play when it was locked on the bike. I turned the preload adjuster clockwise and...IT WORKED! thank you for the tip!