Easton EC90 SLX fork - that ring thing that came with the fork

tanggoman

Sep 22, 2003
Does anyone know if I can just use the compression plug instead of this ring thing in adjusting the headset? Has anyone done that? Will it void the warranty?

Thanks!

tanggoman said:
Does anyone know if I can just use the compression plug instead of this ring thing in adjusting the headset? Has anyone done that? Will it void the warranty?

Thanks!

You mean instead of using the Beartrap? Yes, you can use a compression plug. Most definitely. I thought Easton stopped selling the Beartrap.....

alienator said:
You mean instead of using the Beartrap? Yes, you can use a compression plug. Most definitely. I thought Easton stopped selling the Beartrap.....

Thanks! Is that what its called?

tanggoman said:

Thanks!
Yes you can use a compression plug, I would give you all of mine, but I have thrown them all in the trash. A lot of pros use them and, after their mechanic's have adjusted headset pre-load, remove them. They are not needed, except when you adjust pre-load. A compression plug, doe's just that, it compresses the inside of the steerer tube, outward. In fact, if you want the EASIEST way to crack a carbon steerer tube, use this plug and tighten it until the steerer tube cracks. Or wait until shock & vibration & miles doe's it for you, with a lot less pre-load. But maybe it won't happen? The Beartrap exerts NO Force on the steerer tube! It only exerts a verticle force , between your stem and headset. You do not have to loosen & tighten your stem bolts to adjust headset pre-load, like you do with a compression plug. I use a homemade clear window stem cap, with my Beartrap, so people ask me how I adjust headset pre-load, without anything inside my steerer tube. Use to do the same thing when I used a compression plug, and always use to removed it after I adjusted pre-load. Some people claimed their Beartrap loosened. Maybe? I use blue loctite on my Beartrap adjusting screw. I put a pinhead index dot of white paint on the top and bottom jaws, touching each other, and have never seen any movement in 5000 miles. And I ride bad roads, and went down hard enough to break my hip.

Hmmmm....is really hard to believe, not that I don't believe you. :D Headset coming loose is a known issue with that fork and the beartrap device. Compression plug "alone" does not work. I think only FSA one would work. I have to use both.

lks said:
Yes you can use a compression plug, I would give you all of mine, but I have thrown them all in the trash. A lot of pros use them and, after their mechanic's have adjusted headset pre-load, remove them. They are not needed, except when you adjust pre-load. A compression plug, doe's just that, it compresses the inside of the steerer tube, outward. In fact, if you want the EASIEST way to crack a carbon steerer tube, use this plug and tighten it until the steerer tube cracks. Or wait until shock & vibration & miles doe's it for you, with a lot less pre-load. But maybe it won't happen? The Beartrap exerts NO Force on the steerer tube! It only exerts a verticle force , between your stem and headset. You do not have to loosen & tighten your stem bolts to adjust headset pre-load, like you do with a compression plug. I use a homemade clear window stem cap, with my Beartrap, so people ask me how I adjust headset pre-load, without anything inside my steerer tube. Use to do the same thing when I used a compression plug, and always use to removed it after I adjusted pre-load. Some people claimed their Beartrap loosened. Maybe? I use blue loctite on my Beartrap adjusting screw. I put a pinhead index dot of white paint on the top and bottom jaws, touching each other, and have never seen any movement in 5000 miles. And I ride bad roads, and went down hard enough to break my hip.

i have an SLX and that bear trap thing always loosened up on me. i use a compression plug. not to hijack the post, but anyone notice any bad things about this fork?

I just installed it a while ago and I just used the compression plug. Its all ready to go. This fork replaces the fork that the Cervelo Team Soloist came with.

Thanks!

BlueJersey said:
Hmmmm....is really hard to believe, not that I don't believe you. :D Headset coming loose is a known issue with that fork and the beartrap device. Compression plug "alone" does not work. I think only FSA one would work. I have to use both.
The Beartrap advantage or disadvantage, depending on you experience, has nothing to do with the Easton fork. It would be the same for any fork. I notice the posts say compression plug, but why not expansion plug, because that is what it is doing inside your steerer tube? My fork came with the FSA expansion headset adjuster, and that is what I used until I switched to the Beartrap. But after adjusting headset pre-load and tightening my stem, I either backed off the FSA bolt torque or removed the FSA adjuster. It's not needed, and why have the inside of your steerer tube under any expansion pressure? For you weight weenies, the FSA headset adjuster weighs 39g, only 300% heavier than the Beartrap & it's cap.