Easton/Velomax Tempest II

onbelay

Jan 9, 2004
I'm just looking for some information regarding likes and dislikes with this wheelset. I have the opportunity to pick up a one year old set which are in superb condition...but will have to change the cassette body from shimano to campy and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I would end up paying the same (Canadian $) for these second hand wheels as a brand new 2006 Campy Zonda wheelset... with the tax on the zonda's all most equaling the cost of the new cassette body. Any thoughts appreciated... :)

I'd lean toward the Tempest's as I feel they are a better wheel. However, if you have doubts about the quality of the rim/hub/spoke on the second hand wheels (i.e. havethey been mistreated) it might be worth looking at the Zondas.

onbelay said:
I'm just looking for some information regarding likes and dislikes with this wheelset. I have the opportunity to pick up a one year old set which are in superb condition...but will have to change the cassette body from shimano to campy and I'm wondering if it's worth it. I would end up paying the same (Canadian $) for these second hand wheels as a brand new 2006 Campy Zonda wheelset... with the tax on the zonda's all most equaling the cost of the new cassette body. Any thoughts appreciated... :)

A couple of things too be aware of with EASTON wheels, Firstly, the freehub installed at the factory can be a little loose. My LBS has noticed this on a number of rear wheels. Secondly the service from Easton (in my experience) is pretty poor. They took 4 weeks to replace a single spoke without any appreciation of the inconvenience. Finally Easton have a known problem with some of their rims, specifically the spokes pull through the rim in multiple locations. If this happens - and pray it doesnt, you then have to wait until Easton supply a new rim and rebuild it on your old hub, well, forget the 4 weeks for fixing a spoke, this is more like 6 weeks.

One last thing, if you put the campy hub on you may need to put the cassette spacer in so that the cassette is not too close to the spokes - otherwise you could end up with your rear derailluer in your back wheel.

Aside from these points I think the wheels perform brilliantly - However until such time as Easton begin to demonstrate some after market service I will be thinking twice before bying their products again.