Easton\Velomax wheels.

Earthstick

Guest
Does anyone use the AscentII wheels or any of the others from the
Easton\Velomax range. I read some reviews of the Ascent Comps that
suggested the bearings did not lat in wet weather. I think the
AscentIIs are a newer version so has this been improved?

Earthstick wrote:
> Does anyone use the AscentII wheels or any of the others from the
> Easton\Velomax range. I read some reviews of the Ascent Comps that
> suggested the bearings did not lat in wet weather. I think the
> AscentIIs are a newer version so has this been improved?

I bought a pair of Ascent IIs about a year ago. No problems (in dry San
Diego) so far. (Then again, I only use them for "major" rides like
centuries, epics, etc., so not that many miles on 'em.)

I was paranoid because their listing disappeared on RoadBikeReview; didn't
know about Easton (merger or buy-out?).

Bill "not sure I'd spend the dough again; Bonty RaceLites seem perfectly
fine (10K miles)" S.

I purchased a set of the Velomax Orion II wheels back in 2003. After a long
ride in the rain in early 2004 the rear wheel bearings seized up. I ordered
a replacement set of bearings and a drift kit (metal drifts for removal and
installation of the bearings).

When I opened up the rear wheel hub to replace the bearings, I found that
the original cartridge type bearings did not have a seal in place on both
sides of the bearing. One side of each bearing was sealed, while the other
side was open. Without a double seal, water and grit easily entered the
bearings and they were ruined. The replacement bearings which I had
purchased from Velomax had double seals. Since I installed the double sealed
bearings I have had no further bearing problems.

I don't believe that a single sided bearing would be a good choice for a
bicycle wheel - any rain or road grit will quickly enter the bearing and it
would be ruined. But the double sealed bearings work just fine.

I do not know why the original set of bearings only had a single seal. Maybe
they were trying to save a tiny bit of weight.

"Earthstick" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Does anyone use the AscentII wheels or any of the others from the
> Easton\Velomax range. I read some reviews of the Ascent Comps that
> suggested the bearings did not lat in wet weather. I think the
> AscentIIs are a newer version so has this been improved?

Since Easton felt the need to open a second warranty location just for
their "wheels", I'd say even they don't feel there is an improvement.
Git yerself a nice handbuilt set. Same weight, more durable, less $$,
yadda-yadda-yadda. Cheers.