Easton Wheels

lbraasch

Jul 24, 2007
I have an opportunity to pick up some Easton wheels. Price is not really an issue, as I'm getting employee pricing, and thus, no matter what, the dent isn't that bad for my wallet.
I want a wheelset that I can train on. My main confusion is in the EA-90 line. there is the EA-90 SLX which on their site is the lightest, then there is the EA-90 SL, followed by the EA-90 SL Aero. I also have the ability to get the Tempest II.

Obviously the aero has an aero rim on it. The slx weighs the least, followed by the SL and the Aero, which weigh essentially the same. I'm not really a weight weeny, and I'm already dropping a good ~0.8 lbs off the wheels by switching from the stock wheels (Alex 320's). Is there any benefit for going for one version over another? In terms of pricing, all are the same.

Anyone have experiences with the wheels, or know the benefits/pitfalls between the subtle differences? I'm 6'1", 155lbs, so breaking spokes isn't something I really have an issue with.

Also, for the sake of arguing, how do they compare with say the Mavic Ksyerium SL's?

lbraasch said:
I have an opportunity to pick up some Easton wheels. Price is not really an issue, as I'm getting employee pricing, and thus, no matter what, the dent isn't that bad for my wallet.
I want a wheelset that I can train on. My main confusion is in the EA-90 line. there is the EA-90 SLX which on their site is the lightest, then there is the EA-90 SL, followed by the EA-90 SL Aero. I also have the ability to get the Tempest II.

Obviously the aero has an aero rim on it. The slx weighs the least, followed by the SL and the Aero, which weigh essentially the same. I'm not really a weight weeny, and I'm already dropping a good ~0.8 lbs off the wheels by switching from the stock wheels (Alex 320's). Is there any benefit for going for one version over another? In terms of pricing, all are the same.

Anyone have experiences with the wheels, or know the benefits/pitfalls between the subtle differences? I'm 6'1", 155lbs, so breaking spokes isn't something I really have an issue with.

Also, for the sake of arguing, how do they compare with say the Mavic Ksyerium SL's?

Or do you have a fellow employee that designs and builds wheels? Better hub(particularly with the Kry-for-me-siriums), better design for you and probably cheaper.

Like Campag or shimano hubs, Velocity Aeroheads or DT 1.1, DT spokes, etc.

Although there is a shop mechanic who would build up a set of wheels for us for a case of beer, the deal I can get on these Eastons completely destroys the competition in terms of pricing. I couldn't build up an equal pair of wheels w/o spending more, even though I wouldn't be paying for labor. I'm pressed to say that I couldn't even get a set of hubs for what I can get the entire EA-90 wheelset for. I'm not at liberty to say exactly what their EP pricing is, but if anyone else here works at a bike shop, I recomend you check it out their stuff if you can, the prices are that good.

On a side note, I did some research on the EA-90 line. The SLX is the ultra light one, SL is SLX but with more spokes, thus stronger, and weighs ~50g's more. SL Aero is the replacement for the Tempest II, think SLX but with aero rim. right?