'Easy Fit' tube question

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by [email protected], Dec 13, 2005.

  1. Has anyone tried those Halfords type 'Easy Fit' (length of tube sealed
    at either end) inner tubes?

    I was considering using one on my hub geared rear wheel to save too
    much faffing.

    Are they up to MTB use?

    Cheers.

    Tags:

  2. Sandy Morton

    Sandy Morton Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    <[email protected]> wrote:
    > Has anyone tried those Halfords type 'Easy Fit' (length of tube
    > sealed at either end) inner tubes?

    Tried one - it's in the bin.

    --
    T h e - e x t e n d e r ! ! ! !

  3. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Has anyone tried those Halfords type 'Easy Fit' (length of tube sealed
    > at either end) inner tubes?
    >
    > I was considering using one on my hub geared rear wheel to save too
    > much faffing.
    >
    > Are they up to MTB use?

    I got one cheap via eBay out of curiosity, tried it and it seemed to work.
    MTBing would bother it. However it won't necessarily be the best tube for
    you, and I wouldn't use them ordinarily. Choice of sizes are limited,
    they're not lightweight, and the overlapping bit is heavier than the rest
    (not that's very important for bicycle wheels to be balanced).

    Rapid tube changes can be made as you don't have to take the wheel off,
    but they're not quicker or easier to use once the wheel is off. One would
    be particularly useful for someone who's not skilled or prepared to remove
    a wheel. Nutted axles don't help, and rear hub-gear wheels are horrible
    in this way. Most punctures can be fixed without changing a tube but
    that's not /always/ possible or desirable.

    ~PB

  4. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    I scribbled:
    > I got one cheap via eBay out of curiosity, tried it and it seemed to
    > work. MTBing would bother it.

    SORRY, I meant MTBing *wouldn't* bother it. Air pressure keeps it in
    place, and it flexes and compresses just like any other tube.

    ~PB

  5. Cheers Pete! Will have a think! I suppose I'm concerned about it moving
    around. I want to avoid fiddling with the adjustment of my hub gear as
    much as possible!

    How come you didn't get on with them Sandy?

  6. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:
    > [email protected] wrote:
    >> Has anyone tried those Halfords type 'Easy Fit' (length of tube sealed
    >> at either end) inner tubes?
    >>
    >> I was considering using one on my hub geared rear wheel to save too
    >> much faffing.
    >>
    >> Are they up to MTB use?

    > I got one cheap via eBay out of curiosity, tried it and it seemed to work.
    > MTBing would bother it. However it won't necessarily be the best tube for
    > you, and I wouldn't use them ordinarily. Choice of sizes are limited,
    > they're not lightweight, and the overlapping bit is heavier than the rest
    > (not that's very important for bicycle wheels to be balanced).
    >
    > Rapid tube changes can be made as you don't have to take the wheel off,
    > but they're not quicker or easier to use once the wheel is off. One would
    > be particularly useful for someone who's not skilled or prepared to remove
    > a wheel. Nutted axles don't help, and rear hub-gear wheels are horrible
    > in this way. Most punctures can be fixed without changing a tube but
    > that's not /always/ possible or desirable.

    Even quicker is to drill another valve hole opposite the original and
    put a second uninflated tube in the tyre. If you get a flat, let the
    inflated tube down and inflate the other one. Doesn't work if you have
    a thorn that's gone through both of them though ;-(

    --
    Tony

    right."
    - Lord Hailsham

  7. TrailRat

    TrailRat Guest

    I work for Halfords and I wouldn't sell them. They're ideal for
    emergency pit stops for when your in a hurry on the road or trail but
    otherwise avoid them. We've had to return them to suppliers because of
    the ends coming undone.

    That's my opinion not Halfords. Halfords say buy, buy, buy.

    TR

  8. TrailRat

    TrailRat Guest

    I work for Halfords and I wouldn't sell them. They're ideal for
    emergency pit stops for when your in a hurry on the road or trail but
    otherwise avoid them. We've had to return them to suppliers because of
    the ends coming undone.

    That's my opinion not Halfords. Halfords say buy, buy, buy.

    TR

  9. TrailRat

    TrailRat Guest

    OOOOOOpppppppsss, so thats what happens if you hit the refresh button.
    Sorry about the repeated reply.

    TR

  10. Thanks for your opinions everyone!

    I particulary liked the double up inner tube idea. You could even put
    three or four in there!

    I think I might give them a miss. I did see some on the St.John Street
    Cycles website called Sidewinders, don't know if they're as bad as the
    Halfords ones!

    Have to practise removing and replacing my hub geared back wheel!!

    Happy Christmas!

    Nick

  11. Naqerj

    Naqerj Guest

    [email protected] wrote:

    > Have to practise removing and replacing my hub geared back wheel!!

    What hub is it? When I had the Shimano Nexus 7 in its original Dawes
    frame, it was possible to take the wheel out and leave the gear cable
    still connected. Unhooking the hub brake cable from the hub and
    unclipping the gear cable from the frame clips was enough for changing a
    tyre or tube. Now I've put it into a different frame, I can't do it
    that way but it's still quite easy to unhook the gear cable from the
    hub, do what I have to do, and hook it back up again without disturbing
    the adjustment.

    --
    Andrew

  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    [email protected] wrote:
    > Thanks for your opinions everyone!
    >
    > I particulary liked the double up inner tube idea. You could even put
    > three or four in there!

    Genius! :)

    > I think I might give them a miss. I did see some on the St.John Street
    > Cycles website called Sidewinders, don't know if they're as bad as the
    > Halfords ones!

    That's the one I got via from SJS when they were flogging them cheap via
    eBay. They described it as "Sidewinder" but it was in a Halfrauds box.
    99p + post iirc. It's *not* bad... for an emergency. Forgot to mention
    you'll need scissors to remove the old (ordinary) tube! ...which will be
    wasted.

    > Have to practise removing and replacing my hub geared back wheel!!

    Also practise attending to tube without removing wheel or whole tyre (to
    fix a puncture).

    > Happy Christmas!

    And have a pumped-up one yourself.

    ~PB