Easy one: Can I swap out a 2 chainring crankset for a 3 ring crankset without buying a new derailleu

PeteinMA

Aug 4, 2014
I have just purchased a used beatiful old American made Cannondale R400, all stock still.
I threw on new tires and tubes and started riding road bikes for the first time ever. (im a "clydesdale" who rode mountain bikes for a long while).

I like the bike very much, and it works for my 270lb powerlifter's frame, BUT, I do not have the endurance I need for cycling yet. (Im much more used to pulling a heavy deadlift or squat!) SO, I hope to shed some lbs and get some endurance from cycling!

The problem is the R400 is a dual chainring bike, and I just dont have the endurance or stamina to make it up any real hills without that smaller chainring that a 3 chainring crankset would allow.
So, can I swap out my dual ring for a 3 ring without needing to drop more $$ on a new derailleur? Can the derailleur be adjusted? For what it's worth, I have SORA shifters on this bike...

Anyone help me out?

What Cassette does your bike currently have?

You may be able to simply replace the current Cassette with one whose largest Cog has more teeth + a new/(longer) chain.
chain.
  • if your SORA is 8-speed, then look for an 8-speed SRAM or SunRace Cassette

The crankset is a Truvativ Touro A1 with 30/42/52 teeth with a half-inch by 3/32-inch chain and eight-speed, 12-26 teeth cogs. The Casette is, I believe, a Shimano RX100 Casette.

So, you recommend a larger casette rather than a 3rd sprocket?

And, if I went with the 3rd cog, would the derailleur then become an issue?
confused.png

A front derailleur which is designed for a DOUBLE Crankset can be used, but you may find that shifting from the Granny to the Middle Chainring will be unsatisfactory-at-best .... Your REAR derailleur should be able to handle a 30t largest Cog ... possibly, a 32t. If it were MY choice, I would look for an 11-30 or 11-32 or 11-34 Cassette, first ... If necessary (that is, if the rear derailleur has a problem with a 32t Cog), then I would install a Shimano MTB rear derailleur ... I would change the Crankset AND front derailleur, last.

Do you know what the BCD (bolt circle diameter) of the dual chainring is? If you do, or you can probably find out by doing a Google search for whatever type of crankset it is, probably a Shimano RX100 with 42/52 chainrings, then maybe you could find a smaller chainring with the same BCD and just swap that out. It could very well be much cheaper than replacing an entire cassette. Just from a quick search myself it looks like the BCD is 130mm. So you should be able to find a 39t ring in that BCD pretty easily on eBay

Originally Posted by PeteinMA
I have just purchased a used beatiful old American made Cannondale R400, all stock still.
I threw on new tires and tubes and started riding road bikes for the first time ever. (im a "clydesdale" who rode mountain bikes for a long while).

I like the bike very much, and it works for my 270lb powerlifter's frame, BUT, I do not have the endurance I need for cycling yet. (Im much more used to pulling a heavy deadlift or squat!) SO, I hope to shed some lbs and get some endurance from cycling!

The problem is the R400 is a dual chainring bike, and I just dont have the endurance or stamina to make it up any real hills without that smaller chainring that a 3 chainring crankset would allow.
So, can I swap out my dual ring for a 3 ring without needing to drop more $$ on a new derailleur? Can the derailleur be adjusted? For what it's worth, I have SORA shifters on this bike...

Anyone help me out?
Converting to a triple will mean a new front shifter, too, and I'm afraid that shifting with the old double front derailleur won't very suitable. And your R400 predates compact cranksets, so a smaller inner ring is out of the question.

I go with Alf's advice on a wide-range cassette, plus a Shimano MTB rear derailleur, any current model that's not made for 10-speed. An Acera or Alivio level unit should work fine. And you'll need a longer chain, but the chain on that old bike probably needs replacing anyway.

Actually, there's one more option, and that's to replace the whole crankset with a compact uni. But tthat's probably going to be more work and expense than going the cassette route, and, by itself, it still won't reduce your low end as effectively.

I went with the advice of getting a wider range cassette. SRAM 10-39t I think... whatever it was, I discussed the issue with the bike shop mechanic who advised me to do that.... he said the chain was worn (due to age) and so we put a longer chain on....
Rides MUCH nicer up the hills around the Monadnock Mountain region in New Hampshire, close to where I live...
Thanks very much all. Im sure Ill have MORE questions the more into biking I get!

Thanks

Originally Posted by PeteinMA
Rides MUCH nicer up the hills around the Monadnock Mountain region in New Hampshire, close to where I live...
Thanks very much all. Im sure Ill have MORE questions the more into biking I get!

Thanks
Good deal.

Say hello to southern NH for me. I seem to remember a ride with the Granite State Wheelmen that passed through Peterborough years (decades) ago. And a few autumn hikes up Mt. Monadnock.