Easy Question: Rubbing V-Brakes

Burning_Ranger

Guest
You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for me
it seems).

My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried turning
the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: [email protected]

in message <[email protected]>, Burning_Ranger
('[email protected]') wrote:

> You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
> for me it seems).
>
> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
> read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
> side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
> this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant
> to do anything further in case I mess it up even more. Should I simply
> loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is there a simpler
> way?

Is this a good quality V brake or a cheap one? IME with some of the
cheap ones the only effective way to adjust them is to physically bend
the springs (usually outwards).

> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
> some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
> V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried

turning
> the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
> case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
> it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

Easyish to do...

First, find the necessary allen key to remove the V's. Second, take them
apart carefully, remembering in what order they need to go back. If you have
grease, grease the rotational bits. Then put them back on, but without the
allen bolts in, and unwind the adjuster screws all the way. See how they
compare there - if they both spring out the same distance you're probably
all right. If not, you'll need to bend one of the springs a bit. Oh, and if
your forks have a a couple of holes in which to fit the end of the spring
mech, make sure they're both in the same one. If you see what I mean.

Then connect up the noodle on top, adjust the screws, see what happens. If
it's still not right, try bending the spring again slightly. Then reinsert
the allenbolts. I did that - 10 minute job, easy peasy.

HTH
Nick

"Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for

me
> it seems).
>
> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
> some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
> V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried

turning
> the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
> case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
> it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?
>
> --
>
> Burning_Ranger
>
> To email: [email protected]

Something else to try is to turn BOTH adjuster screws on both sides. i.e.
loosen the one thats not rubbing and tighten the one that is (or vice
versa) - i usually find that to stop my brakes rubbing i have to fiddle with
both screws to find a happy medium.

"Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for

me
> it seems).
>
> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
> some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
> V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried

turning
> the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
> case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
> it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?
>
> --
>
> Burning_Ranger
>
> To email: [email protected]

Have you checked to see if your wheel is not
buckled and seated correctly on your forks,
then checked your brake pads are at the right
height and then check your cable tension,if
everything is fine,turning the adjuster screw
normally works.

"Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough for me
> it seems).
>
> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I read
> some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the side of the
> V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix this. I tried turning
> the screw both ways but no change. I'm hesitant to do anything further in
> case I mess it up even more. Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move
> it back a bit, or is there a simpler way?

Have you tried adjusting the position of the pads themselves relative
to the wheel rim (easy to do with peg-type blocks, less so with the
allen-bolt type)?

David E. Belcher

Lee wrote:
> "Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
>> for me it seems).
>>
>> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
>> read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
>> side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
>> this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm
>> hesitant to do anything further in case I mess it up even more.
>> Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is
>> there a simpler way?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Burning_Ranger
>>
>> To email: [email protected]
>>

> Something else to try is to turn BOTH adjuster screws on both sides.
> i.e. loosen the one thats not rubbing and tighten the one that is (or
> vice versa) - i usually find that to stop my brakes rubbing i have to
> fiddle with both screws to find a happy medium.

Thanks. This worked and was very simple (when you know how).

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: [email protected]

s....Six wrote:
> "Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
>> for me it seems).
>>
>> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
>> read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
>> side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
>> this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm
>> hesitant to do anything further in case I mess it up even more.
>> Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is
>> there a simpler way?
>>
>> --
>>
>> Burning_Ranger
>>
>> To email: [email protected]
>>

> Have you checked to see if your wheel is not
> buckled and seated correctly on your forks,
> then checked your brake pads are at the right
> height and then check your cable tension,if
> everything is fine,turning the adjuster screw
> normally works.

Wheel and rims are fine. I followed the advice of one of the other posters
and tried adjusting both sides and it worked.

--

Burning_Ranger

To email: [email protected]

"Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> s....Six wrote:
> > "Burning_Ranger" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >> You'd think this'd be a obvious problem to solve (not obvious enough
> >> for me it seems).
> >>
> >> My front V-Brakes are rubbing the rim slightly (well one pad is). I
> >> read some guides on the net that turning the adjuster screw on the
> >> side of the V-brake would adjust the tension on the spring and fix
> >> this. I tried turning the screw both ways but no change. I'm
> >> hesitant to do anything further in case I mess it up even more.
> >> Should I simply loosen the brake pad and move it back a bit, or is
> >> there a simpler way?
> >>
> >> --
> >>
> >> Burning_Ranger
> >>
> >> To email: [email protected]
> >>

> Wheel and rims are fine. I followed the advice of one of the other posters
> and tried adjusting both sides and it worked.
>
> --
>
> Burning_Ranger
>
> To email: [email protected]

Good show,that was all i had do when had problems
with mine,i'm glad its sorted.