Easy racer bar on Rans stratus

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Ben Fox, Jan 25, 2003.

  1. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Tags:

  2. Hi Ben, Looked at your installation and it looks great. Where did you get the stem? and what mfg is
    it? Did you have to go to E.R's directly for the bars or did you find them elsewhere? I'd like to do
    something like that on my V2. Any and all info appreciated Ray

    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > If anyone wants to E.R. bars on my stratus and the Planet bike fenders
    Pics
    > are at http://photos.yahoo.com/ekfox2001 Ben fox

  3. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Ray, Bars came from www.poweroncycling.com he has steel and alloy ,mine are alloy ,$39.95. The stem
    is from LBS it's 40 degree and 120mm long. it was on sale for $11.95 but you can spend lots more if
    you want fancy. Take the entire stock handle bar assy off and you will be left with a 1" tube about
    12' long sticking out of the headset. Fasten the stem to that,mines at the very top, and the
    handlebars to the other end of stem. Mt stem was an MTB and was 1 1/8" on both ends and i had to buy
    shims to fit the 1" handlebars and the tube sticking out of the headset. poweron cycling has these
    shims also. BTW the length of the stem is personal preference,my LBS had the same stem in 3
    different lengths so I tried all 3 and settled on the 120mm. The 40 degree angle matches and hence
    cancells out the angle of the tube in headset .This makes the stem level where the handlebars
    attach. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi Ben, Looked at your installation and it looks great. Where did you get the
    stem?
    > and what mfg is it? Did you have to go to E.R's directly for the bars or did you find them
    > elsewhere? I'd like to do something like that on my V2. Any and all info appreciated Ray
    >
    > "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If anyone wants to E.R. bars on my stratus and the Planet bike fenders
    > Pics
    > > are at http://photos.yahoo.com/ekfox2001 Ben fox

  4. Ben, Really appreciate that information. I'm going out and start taking things apart, I don't know
    remember if the tube coming out of the headset is 1" or 1 1/8" on my V2, but that can be shimmed or
    not. I had reversed the center segment a long time ago to reduce the tiller effect, which it did to
    a degree, but I find myself worried about heavy traffic areas and how I handle myself within them.
    This limits my enjoyment, and that's not why we ride, right?. I kept telling myself, you've ridden
    DF's for over half a century, be a macho man and get over it and learn to deal with the tiller,
    Bull, I'm too old to HAVE to deal with it any more. This modification should bring back the complete
    feeling of looking forward to a ride. Thanks again for your modification that got me out of my dumb
    macho mind set, Ray

    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Ray, Bars came from www.poweroncycling.com he has steel and alloy ,mine are
    alloy
    > ,$39.95. The stem is from LBS it's 40 degree and 120mm long. it was on
    sale
    > for $11.95 but you can spend lots more if you want fancy. Take the entire stock handle bar assy
    > off and you will be left with a 1" tube about 12' long sticking out of the headset. Fasten the
    > stem to that,mines at the very top, and the handlebars to the other end of stem. Mt stem was an
    > MTB and was 1 1/8" on both ends and i had to buy shims to
    fit
    > the 1" handlebars and the tube sticking out of the headset. poweron
    cycling
    > has these shims also. BTW the length of the stem is personal preference,my LBS had the same stem
    > in 3 different lengths so I tried all 3 and settled on the 120mm. The 40 degree angle matches and
    > hence cancells out the angle of the tube in
    headset
    > .This makes the stem level where the handlebars attach. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez"
    > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Hi Ben, Looked at your installation and it looks great. Where did you get the
    > stem?
    > > and what mfg is it? Did you have to go to E.R's directly for the bars
    or
    > > did you find them elsewhere? I'd like to do something like that on my V2. Any and all info
    > > appreciated Ray
    > >
    > > "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > If anyone wants to E.R. bars on my stratus and the Planet bike
    fenders
    > > Pics
    > > > are at http://photos.yahoo.com/ekfox2001 Ben fox

  5. John Rooker

    John Rooker Guest

    RANS has also addressed the tiller issue on the 2003 LWB bikes. The 2003 V2 has a different bar
    arrangement and I believe it will be available on the Stratus as well. According to their website,
    RANS will have these available for retrofit to older bikes sometime in March. So, you have another
    option. :)

    See the "What's New" section at www.ransbikes.com

    On Sat, 01 Feb 2003 14:21:35 GMT, "B. Ray Enriquez" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ben, Really appreciate that information. I'm going out and start taking things apart, I don't know
    >remember if the tube coming out of the headset is 1" or 1 1/8" on my V2, but that can be shimmed or
    >not. I had reversed the center segment a long time ago to reduce the tiller effect, which it did to
    >a degree, but I find myself worried about heavy traffic areas and how I handle myself within them.
    >This limits my enjoyment, and that's not why we ride, right?. I kept telling myself, you've ridden
    >DF's for over half a century, be a macho man and get over it and learn to deal with the tiller,
    >Bull, I'm too old to HAVE to deal with it any more. This modification should bring back the
    >complete feeling of looking forward to a ride. Thanks again for your modification that got me out
    >of my dumb macho mind set, Ray
    >
    >"Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> Ray, Bars came from www.poweroncycling.com he has steel and alloy ,mine are
    >alloy
    >> ,$39.95. The stem is from LBS it's 40 degree and 120mm long. it was on
    >sale
    >> for $11.95 but you can spend lots more if you want fancy. Take the entire stock handle bar assy
    >> off and you will be left with a 1" tube about 12' long sticking out of the headset. Fasten the
    >> stem to that,mines at the very top, and the handlebars to the other end of stem. Mt stem was an
    >> MTB and was 1 1/8" on both ends and i had to buy shims to
    >fit
    >> the 1" handlebars and the tube sticking out of the headset. poweron
    >cycling
    >> has these shims also. BTW the length of the stem is personal preference,my LBS had the same stem
    >> in 3 different lengths so I tried all 3 and settled on the 120mm. The 40 degree angle matches and
    >> hence cancells out the angle of the tube in
    >headset
    >> .This makes the stem level where the handlebars attach. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez"
    >> <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]...
    >> > Hi Ben, Looked at your installation and it looks great. Where did you get the
    >> stem?
    >> > and what mfg is it? Did you have to go to E.R's directly for the bars
    >or
    >> > did you find them elsewhere? I'd like to do something like that on my V2. Any and all info
    >> > appreciated Ray

    >fenders
    >> > Pics

    ---------------
    John Rooker Rochester, NY RANS Stratus
    ----------------

  6. Cyclepath

    Cyclepath Guest

    Thanks John, I had not seen the new offerings from Rans. It does present an additional option that
    I'll look for in my mod. Ray

    "John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
> [...]
    1"
    > >> tube about 12' long sticking out of the headset. Fasten the stem to that,mines at the very top,
    > >> and the handlebars to the other end of
    stem.
    > >> Mt stem was an MTB and was 1 1/8" on both ends and i had to buy shims
    > >fit
    > >> the 1" handlebars and the tube sticking out of the headset. poweron
    > >cycling
    > >> has these shims also. BTW the length of the stem is personal preference,my LBS had the same
    stem
    > >> in 3 different lengths so I tried all 3 and settled on the 120mm. The
    40
    > >> degree angle matches and hence cancells out the angle of the tube in
    > >headset
    > >> .This makes the stem level where the handlebars attach. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez"

  7. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Ray, The V-2 headset riser tube is 1 1/8". The new Rans bars look like they have an awful long reach
    to the bars. The
    T.E. bars are perfect ,I rode some today and the bars are a real improvement. I have 2 bottle cages
    mounted on the bars ,a map holder and a handlebar bag, try that on the stock Rans bars. Ben Fox
    "B. Ray Enriquez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]...
    > Ben, Really appreciate that information. I'm going out and start taking things apart, I don't know
    > remember if the tube coming out of the headset is 1"
    or
    > 1 1/8" on my V2, but that can be shimmed or not. I had reversed the
    center
    > segment a long time ago to reduce the tiller effect, which it did to a degree, but I find myself
    > worried about heavy traffic areas and how I
    handle
    > myself within them. This limits my enjoyment, and that's not why we ride, right?. I kept telling
    > myself, you've ridden DF's for over half a
    century,
    > be a macho man and get over it and learn to deal with the tiller, Bull,
    I'm
    > too old to HAVE to deal with it any more. This modification should bring back the complete feeling
    > of looking forward to a ride. Thanks again for your modification that got me out of my dumb macho
    > mind set, Ray
    >
    > "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Ray, Bars came from www.poweroncycling.com he has steel and alloy ,mine are
    > alloy
    > > ,$39.95. The stem is from LBS it's 40 degree and 120mm long. it was on
    > sale
    > > for $11.95 but you can spend lots more if you want fancy. Take the entire stock handle bar assy
    > > off and you will be left with a 1" tube about 12' long sticking out of the headset. Fasten the
    > > stem to that,mines at the very top, and the handlebars to the other end of stem. Mt stem was an
    > > MTB and was 1 1/8" on both ends and i had to buy shims to
    > fit
    > > the 1" handlebars and the tube sticking out of the headset. poweron
    > cycling
    > > has these shims also. BTW the length of the stem is personal preference,my LBS had the same
    stem
    > > in 3 different lengths so I tried all 3 and settled on the 120mm. The 40 degree angle matches
    > > and hence cancells out the angle of the tube in
    > headset
    > > .This makes the stem level where the handlebars attach. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez"
    > > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Hi Ben, Looked at your installation and it looks great. Where did you get the
    > > stem?
    > > > and what mfg is it? Did you have to go to E.R's directly for the bars
    > or
    > > > did you find them elsewhere? I'd like to do something like that on my V2. Any and all info
    > > > appreciated Ray

    > fenders
    > > > Pics

  8. John Rooker

    John Rooker Guest

    If the V2 riser is 1 1/8, then he can get all he needs to do the EZ 1 mod from Power On Cycling. He
    has the bars and the stem is listed in his Homebuilder's section. I'm still trying to decide what to
    do with my 2000 Stratus. :) Don't know whether to do the Evo bars, the EZ1 bars or see about the
    RANS bars.

    On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:38:21 -0600, "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ray, The V-2 headset riser tube is 1 1/8". The new Rans bars look like they have an awful long
    >reach to the bars. The
    >T.E. bars are perfect ,I rode some today and the bars are a real improvement. I have 2 bottle cages
    > mounted on the bars ,a map holder and a handlebar bag, try that on the stock Rans bars. Ben
    > Fox "B. Ray Enriquez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:p[email protected]...
    >> Ben, Really appreciate that information. I'm going out and start taking things apart, I don't
    >> know remember if the tube coming out of the headset is 1"
    >or
    >> 1 1/8" on my V2, but that can be shimmed or not. I had reversed the
    >center
    >> segment a long time ago to reduce the tiller effect, which it did to a degree, but I find myself
    >> worried about heavy traffic areas and how I
    >handle
    >> myself within them. This limits my enjoyment, and that's not why we ride, right?. I kept telling
    >> myself, you've ridden DF's for over half a
    >century,
    >> be a macho man and get over it and learn to deal with the tiller, Bull,
    >I'm
    >> too old to HAVE to deal with it any more. This modification should bring back the complete
    >> feeling of looking forward to a ride. Thanks again for your modification that got me out of my
    >> dumb macho mind set, Ray
    >>
    >> "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    >> > Ray, Bars came from www.poweroncycling.com he has steel and alloy ,mine are
    >> alloy
    >> > ,$39.95. The stem is from LBS it's 40 degree and 120mm long. it was on
    >> sale
    >> > for $11.95 but you can spend lots more if you want fancy. Take the entire stock handle bar assy
    >> > off and you will be left with a 1" tube about 12' long sticking out of the headset. Fasten the
    >> > stem to that,mines at the very top, and the handlebars to the other end of stem. Mt stem was an
    >> > MTB and was 1 1/8" on both ends and i had to buy shims to
    >> fit
    >> > the 1" handlebars and the tube sticking out of the headset. poweron
    >> cycling
    >> > has these shims also. BTW the length of the stem is personal preference,my LBS had the same
    >stem
    >> > in 3 different lengths so I tried all 3 and settled on the 120mm. The 40 degree angle matches
    >> > and hence cancells out the angle of the tube in
    >> headset
    >> > .This makes the stem level where the handlebars attach. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez"
    >> > <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> > news:[email protected]...
    >> > stem?
    >> or

    >> fenders

    ---------------
    John Rooker Rochester, NY RANS Stratus
    ----------------

  9. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    John, I had the EVO bars on my V-2 and I like the EZ-1 bars much,much better! ben fox "John Rooker"
    > If the V2 riser is 1 1/8, then he can get all he needs to do the EZ 1 mod from Power On Cycling.
    > He has the bars and the stem is listed in his Homebuilder's section. I'm still trying to decide
    > what to do with my 2000 Stratus. :) Don't know whether to do the Evo bars, the EZ1 bars or see
    > about the RANS bars.
    >
    > On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:38:21 -0600, "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >Ray, The V-2 headset riser tube is 1 1/8". The new Rans bars look like they have an awful long
    > >reach to the bars.
    The
    > >T.E. bars are perfect ,I rode some today and the bars are a real improvement. I have 2 bottle
    > > cages mounted on the bars ,a map holder and a handlebar
    bag,
    > >try that on the stock Rans bars. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >news:p[email protected]...
    > >> Ben, Really appreciate that information. I'm going out and start taking
    things
    > >> apart, I don't know remember if the tube coming out of the headset is
    1"
    > >or
    > >> 1 1/8" on my V2, but that can be shimmed or not. I had reversed the
    > >center
    > >> segment a long time ago to reduce the tiller effect, which it did to a degree, but I find
    > >> myself worried about heavy traffic areas and how I
    > >handle
    > >> myself within them. This limits my enjoyment, and that's not why we
    ride,
    > >> right?. I kept telling myself, you've ridden DF's for over half a
    > >century,
    > >> be a macho man and get over it and learn to deal with the tiller, Bull,
    > >I'm
    > >> too old to HAVE to deal with it any more. This modification should
    bring
    > >> back the complete feeling of looking forward to a ride. Thanks again for your modification that
    > >> got me out of my dumb macho
    mind
    > >> set, Ray

    > >> alloy
    > >> sale
    1"
    stem.
    > >> fit
    > >> cycling
    > >stem
    > >> headset
    > >> or

    > >> fenders
    > >> > > >

    > ---------------
    > John Rooker Rochester, NY RANS Stratus
    > ----------------

  10. Cyclepath

    Cyclepath Guest

    Ben, John I was out sizing up the mod on my V2 and saw a possible area of interference with the high
    BB of my V2. It "Appears" that my comparison of Ben's stem/bars setup to where the new stem/bars on
    my V2 would be may cause a rotational and turning foot strike on the lower segment of the bars, I
    estimated by looking at the picture and comparing the diameter of the front wheel which is about 19+
    inches that the bars are about that same in length. The lower segment appears to about 1/3 the
    length which would be about 5 to 6 inches across.

    Ben, please let me know if I'm close on the sizing. I'm going for a ride today, I'll fab and tape a
    mockup of the lower segment with the extension of the stem on the bar at approx 12". I'll try to get
    an idea of if and where the lower segment of the bars might strike. Thanks for all your help, Ray

    "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > John, I had the EVO bars on my V-2 and I like the EZ-1 bars much,much better! ben fox "John
    > Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > If the V2 riser is 1 1/8, then he can get all he needs to do the EZ 1 mod from Power On Cycling.
    > > He has the bars and the stem is listed in his Homebuilder's section. I'm still trying to decide
    > > what to do with my 2000 Stratus. :) Don't know whether to do the Evo bars, the EZ1 bars or see
    > > about the RANS bars.
    > >
    > > On Sat, 1 Feb 2003 17:38:21 -0600, "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote:
    > >
    > > >Ray, The V-2 headset riser tube is 1 1/8". The new Rans bars look like they have an awful long
    > > >reach to the bars.
    > The
    > > >T.E. bars are perfect ,I rode some today and the bars are a real improvement. I have 2 bottle
    > > > cages mounted on the bars ,a map holder and a handlebar
    > bag,
    > > >try that on the stock Rans bars. Ben Fox "B. Ray Enriquez" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > >news:p[email protected]...
    > things
    > 1"
    > > >or
    > > >center
    > > >handle
    > ride,
    > > >century,
    Bull,
    > > >I'm
    > bring
    > mind

    > are
    > on
    > 1"
    > stem.
    > > >stem
    The
    > 40
    > the
    > bars

    > > ---------------
    > > John Rooker Rochester, NY RANS Stratus
    > > ----------------

  11. John Rooker

    John Rooker Guest

    I'm concerned with knee interference with theEZ 1 bars. My wife has an EZ1 and I encounter
    interference on her bike. I don't have a problem with "tiller effect" on my Strat. I have enough
    miles on it that the bike feels pretty natural to me. I just don't like the hand position of the
    (then) standard bars. Also, I've got the seat reclined way back and I don't know if I would like the
    reach to the EZ 1 bars, either. :)

    ---------------
    John Rooker Rochester, NY RANS Stratus
    ----------------

  12. Tom Blum

    Tom Blum Guest

    I have learned that when certain people say "This is good." You should try
    it. Mark Stonich has become one of those people, for me, where bents are concerned.

    This link shows the evo bar set up he recommends:
    http://www.bikesmithdesign.com/EvoBars/EvoBarSetup.html

    I,too, didn't like the arms straight out position (the so called Super man position). Note that
    Mark's arm position has a natural bend at the elbow. I put Burly bars on my Tour Easy Clone, with
    the exact ergos that Mark recommended. The position feels great to me. Handling and comfort
    greatly improved.

    --
    Miles of Smiles,

    Tom Blum Winter Haven, Florida Homebuilts: SWB Tour Easy Clone Speed Machine Clone

    www.gate.net/~teblum

  13. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    My bars are about 7" accross the bottom ,to where it starts to curve up. The tube riser coming out
    of the headset is about 6" long. You can get longer ones ,I'm sure and the stem on mine is 120mm
    long ,but you can get them 135mm which would move the bars back a couple inches. As far as what
    works for me ,the bars are very comfortable ,my arms are bent so my elbows almost against my chest.
    This is on a Stratus,I don't know how they will work on a V-2. As far as knee intereference there's
    less than with the EVO bars. As far as tiller there's less than on a stock RANS with or without the
    EVO bars. The steering position is much like the T.E. and I don't hear too many complaints about
    them. Ben Fox "CyclePath" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:Zpb%[email protected]...
    > Ben, John I was out sizing up the mod on my V2 and saw a possible area of
    interference
    > with the high BB of my V2. It "Appears" that my comparison of Ben's stem/bars setup to where the
    > new stem/bars on my V2 would be may cause a rotational and turning foot strike on the lower
    > segment of the bars, I estimated by looking at the picture and comparing the diameter of the
    front
    > wheel which is about 19+ inches that the bars are about that same in
    length.
    > The lower segment appears to about 1/3 the length which would be about 5
    > 6 inches across.
    >
    > Ben, please let me know if I'm close on the sizing. I'm going for a ride today, I'll fab and tape
    > a mockup of the lower segment with the extension
    of
    > the stem on the bar at approx 12". I'll try to get an idea of if and
    where
    > the lower segment of the bars might strike. Thanks for all your help, Ray
    >

    > "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > John, I had the EVO bars on my V-2 and I like the EZ-1 bars much,much better! ben fox "John
    > > Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > If the V2 riser is 1 1/8, then he can get all he needs to do the EZ 1 mod from Power On
    > > > Cycling. He has the bars and the stem is listed in his Homebuilder's section. I'm still trying
    > > > to decide what to do with my 2000 Stratus. :) Don't know whether to do the Evo bars, the EZ1
    > > > bars or see about the RANS bars.

    bars.
    > > The
    handlebar
    > > bag,
    > > things
    > > 1"
    > > ride,
    > Bull,
    > > bring
    > > mind

    > > are
    > > on
    with
    > > 1"
    > > stem.
    > shims
    poweron
    > same
    > The
    > > 40
    > in

    news:[email protected]...
    > get
    > > the
    > > bars

    > > > ---------------
    > > > John Rooker Rochester, NY RANS Stratus
    > > > ----------------

  14. My mockup test indicates that at 12" I do not have any foot strike either in normal pedaling or
    turning. But any less than that and there would be interference. I'm going to look at how I might be
    able to solve this little quandary. Thank you very much for all your help. Ray

> [...]
    > > wheel which is about 19+ inches that the bars are about that same in
    > length.
    > > The lower segment appears to about 1/3 the length which would be about 5
    > > 6 inches across.
    > >
    > > Ben, please let me know if I'm close on the sizing. I'm going for a
    ride
    > > today, I'll fab and tape a mockup of the lower segment with the
    extension
    > of
    > > the stem on the bar at approx 12". I'll try to get an idea of if and
    > where
    > > the lower segment of the bars might strike. Thanks for all your help, Ray
    > >

    > > "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > > John, I had the EVO bars on my V-2 and I like the EZ-1 bars much,much
    better!
    > > > ben fox "John Rooker" <[email protected]> wrote in message

  15. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

  16. Ben Fox

    Ben Fox Guest

    Looks good,Where did you get the bottle holder? I replaced the stock Lightning front chain idler on
    my P-38 with a Rans idler, then took the Lightning idler and installed it on my Stratus. I guess we
    bent people are always looking for a better way to do things or maybe we have too much time on our
    hands? Ben Fox "Andrew" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Hi, I did it the other way round! I removed my E.R Bars on my Tour Easy and put on Evo Pro
    > Bars/Rans Stem instead. You can see Pics of it on:
    > http://members14.clubphoto.com/andrew577790/1119763/guest.phtml Hope the Link works, Regards,
    > Andrew. Tour Easy, London, UK.
    >

    > "Ben Fox" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > > If anyone wants to E.R. bars on my stratus and the Planet bike fenders
    Pics
    > > are at http://photos.yahoo.com/ekfox2001 Ben fox

  17. Andrew

    Andrew Guest

    Hi Ben, I got the Bottle holder from a UK Bike shop, I dont think they sell them anymore. There are
    a few other similar designs on these weblinks: http://www.klickfix.de/bottlefixe.htm and
    http://www.thebicyclehub.net/matching.htm

    Its great to tinker around with these Recumbents and customise them to personal tastes. I think my
    Tour Easy has gone through several alterations in the 4 years I have had it! An enjoyable Hobby
    and pastime!