Easy way to get inertia in trainers

Fred

Guest
Couple the shaft to a permanent magnet DC motor and use the output to
run an incandescent light bulb. It gives a nice indication of power
output, but no inertia.

Add large electrolytic capacitors, the bigger the better. I have two
that are 250,000 uf at 200 volts. The motor is from a treadmill and
can light a normal light bulb. The capacitors really help smooth
things out.

In article <[email protected]>,
Fred <[email protected]> wrote:

> Couple the shaft to a permanent magnet DC motor and use the output to
> run an incandescent light bulb. It gives a nice indication of power
> output, but no inertia.
>
> Add large electrolytic capacitors, the bigger the better. I have two
> that are 250,000 uf at 200 volts. The motor is from a treadmill and
> can light a normal light bulb. The capacitors really help smooth
> things out.

Hey, that just might work... I'll just have to compare the cost of a
big chunk of (custom machined) steel, versus a surplus DC generator and
some monster capacitors.

On Mon, 26 Feb 2007 03:16:22 GMT, Ralph Barone <invalid@not_real.ca>
wrote:

>In article <[email protected]>,
> Fred <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Couple the shaft to a permanent magnet DC motor and use the output to
>> run an incandescent light bulb. It gives a nice indication of power
>> output, but no inertia.
>>
>> Add large electrolytic capacitors, the bigger the better. I have two
>> that are 250,000 uf at 200 volts. The motor is from a treadmill and
>> can light a normal light bulb. The capacitors really help smooth
>> things out.

>Hey, that just might work... I'll just have to compare the cost of a
>big chunk of (custom machined) steel, versus a surplus DC generator and
>some monster capacitors.

One word: Hamfest.