easy way up Kinder

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by trevor goyd, Jan 14, 2006.

  1. trevor goyd

    trevor goyd Guest

    I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    with anybody out there ?

    Trev

    Tags:

  2. In article <[email protected]>, trevor
    goyd <[email protected]> writes
    >I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    >the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    >and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    >a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    >with anybody out there ?

    Probably the Snake Pass. To Kinder Low (highest point easily accessible)
    it is ~5.5 miles (each way) + ~250m of ascent.

    Easiest route to Kinder Low is probably from the village of Upper Booth
    in the Edale valley. That is ~2.4 miles with ~360m of ascent.

    I would say neither were a viable option unless dad is a very fit 80
    year old and is used to regular exercise.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  3. Lewis

    Lewis Guest

    Park at Uper Booth and go up Crowden? It's kind of steep, though! I don't
    think I'd be up to it when I reach 80.

    You can get a 4x4 as far as Edale Cross, but I don't know if the landowner
    would let you.

    "trevor goyd" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    > the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    > and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    > a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    > with anybody out there ?
    >
    > Trev

  4. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote
    >In article <[email protected]>,
    >trevor goyd <[email protected]> writes
    >>I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    >>the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    >>and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    >>a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    >>with anybody out there ?

    >Probably the Snake Pass. To Kinder Low (highest point easily
    >accessible) it is ~5.5 miles (each way) + ~250m of ascent.
    >
    >Easiest route to Kinder Low is probably from the village of Upper Booth
    >in the Edale valley. That is ~2.4 miles with ~360m of ascent.
    >
    >I would say neither were a viable option unless dad is a very fit 80
    >year old and is used to regular exercise.

    Agreed. Even from the Snake pass there is a pretty steep pull to get
    onto the edge from Mill Hill vicinity! After that the path is fairly
    level, as far as I remember.

    I reckon the return trip from the Snake to the Downfall and back is
    about 8 miles.
    --
    Gordon Harris

  5. Baz

    Baz Guest

    trevor goyd wrote:
    > I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    > the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    > and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    > a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    > with anybody out there ?
    >
    > Trev

    from Farlands at the end of Kinder road, about 1.8 miles each way, but
    quite steep in places

  6. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, trevor
    goyd <[email protected]> writes

    >I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    >the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    >and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    >a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    >with anybody out there ?

    I wonder if he's referring to the lay-by on the A624 just south of
    Chinley Head (GR 049844)?

    I've never walked that way, but looking at the map I reckon you could
    park there, take one of the paths to pass around the north of South
    Head, continue roughly east to Brown Knoll then head north to Kinder
    Scout.

    I'm pretty sure this route avoids any hard climbs as the lay-by is
    already quite high up, but I accept no responsibility for the accuracy
    of that statement!
    --
    Chris Hill

  7. In article <[email protected]>, Chris Hill
    <[email protected]> writes
    >In message <[email protected]>,
    >trevor goyd <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >>I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    >>the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    >>and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    >>a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    >>with anybody out there ?

    >I wonder if he's referring to the lay-by on the A624 just south of
    >Chinley Head (GR 049844)?
    >
    >I've never walked that way, but looking at the map I reckon you could
    >park there, take one of the paths to pass around the north of South
    >Head, continue roughly east to Brown Knoll then head north to Kinder
    >Scout.

    That certainly looks like a contender ~3.5 miles and 330m of ascent to
    Kinder Low.

    --

    Dominic Sexton

  8. On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:55:49 +0000,
    Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, trevor
    > goyd <[email protected]> writes
    >
    >>I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    >>the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    >>and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    >>a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    >>with anybody out there ?

    > I wonder if he's referring to the lay-by on the A624 just south of
    > Chinley Head (GR 049844)?
    >
    > I've never walked that way, but looking at the map I reckon you could
    > park there, take one of the paths to pass around the north of South
    > Head, continue roughly east to Brown Knoll then head north to Kinder
    > Scout.
    >
    > I'm pretty sure this route avoids any hard climbs

    I went up via Brown Knoll and the Edale Rocks (as part of a longer walk)
    last year. The climbing from Brown Knoll is pretty easy however we walked
    over Horsehill Tor and Brown Knoll and it was a bit heavy going and boggy
    (and that was in high summer). Probably something to bear in mind as it
    is probably as bad from the South Head side.

    --
    Andy Leighton => [email protected]
    - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

  9. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Andy Leighton
    <[email protected]> writes
    >On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 10:55:49 +0000,
    > Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
    >> In message <[email protected]>, trevor
    >> goyd <[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>>I've been asked by a friend (honest), the easiest, shortest route to
    >>>the top of Kinder Scout. He wants to take his 80-year old Dad up there,
    >>>and is convinced there is 'a short cut to the top involving parking on
    >>>a nearby hill road.' - which is news to me, but does it ring any bells
    >>>with anybody out there ?

    >> I wonder if he's referring to the lay-by on the A624 just south of
    >> Chinley Head (GR 049844)?
    >>
    >> I've never walked that way, but looking at the map I reckon you could
    >> park there, take one of the paths to pass around the north of South
    >> Head, continue roughly east to Brown Knoll then head north to Kinder
    >> Scout.
    >>
    >> I'm pretty sure this route avoids any hard climbs

    >I went up via Brown Knoll and the Edale Rocks (as part of a longer walk)
    >last year. The climbing from Brown Knoll is pretty easy however we walked
    >over Horsehill Tor and Brown Knoll and it was a bit heavy going and boggy
    >(and that was in high summer). Probably something to bear in mind as it
    >is probably as bad from the South Head side.

    I think that's going to be true no matter where you go up there. It's
    all boggy.
    --
    Chris Hill

  10. On Sun, 15 Jan 2006 14:11:26 +0000,
    Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, Andy Leighton
    ><[email protected]> writes

    >>I went up via Brown Knoll and the Edale Rocks (as part of a longer walk)
    >>last year. The climbing from Brown Knoll is pretty easy however we walked
    >>over Horsehill Tor and Brown Knoll and it was a bit heavy going and boggy
    >>(and that was in high summer). Probably something to bear in mind as it
    >>is probably as bad from the South Head side.

    > I think that's going to be true no matter where you go up there. It's
    > all boggy.

    True, but I always find boggy is far more energy sapping than firmer ground.
    Considering the OP was talking about an 80 yo there is going to be a trade
    off between choosing boggy ground or longer distance (and possibly greater
    total ascent) over firmer ground.

    --
    Andy Leighton => [email protected]
    - Robert Rankin, _They Came And Ate Us_

  11. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote
    >In article <[email protected]>, Chris Hill
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>
    >>I wonder if he's referring to the lay-by on the A624 just south of
    >>Chinley Head (GR 049844)?
    >>
    >>I've never walked that way, but looking at the map I reckon you could
    >>park there, take one of the paths to pass around the north of South
    >>Head, continue roughly east to Brown Knoll then head north to Kinder
    >>Scout.

    >That certainly looks like a contender ~3.5 miles and 330m of ascent to
    >Kinder Low.

    I could almost manage that! Many years ago a mate and I did a 14
    miler from that layby via South Head etc which took in Rushup Edge and
    Jacobs Ladder and a couple of pints in the George.
    --
    Gordon Harris

  12. Chris Hill wrote:

    > I wonder if he's referring to the lay-by on the A624 just south of
    > Chinley Head (GR 049844)?

    I agree, although I wouldn't recommend that route to anyone on
    anything but either the driest summer day or the hardest winter
    freeze. Brown Knoll isn't a name, its a onematopea.

    Chris

  13. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Dominic Sexton <{d-sep03}@dscs.demon.co.uk> wrote
    >>In article <[email protected]>, Chris Hill
    >><[email protected]> writes
    >>>
    >>>I wonder if he's referring to the lay-by on the A624 just south of
    >>>Chinley Head (GR 049844)?
    >>>
    >>>I've never walked that way, but looking at the map I reckon you could
    >>>park there, take one of the paths to pass around the north of South
    >>>Head, continue roughly east to Brown Knoll then head north to Kinder
    >>>Scout.

    >>That certainly looks like a contender ~3.5 miles and 330m of ascent to
    >>Kinder Low.
    >>

    >I could almost manage that! Many years ago a mate and I did a 14
    >miler from that layby via South Head etc which took in Rushup Edge and
    >Jacobs Ladder and a couple of pints in the George.

    The George in Hayfield?
    --
    Chris Hill

  14. Fran

    Fran Guest

    [email protected] said...
    > Brown Knoll isn't a name, its a onematopea.

    <show off>
    onomatopoeia
    </>

    (Translation: bother, the cat's been on the mat)

    --
    To reply see 'from' in headers; lose the domain, and insert dots and @
    where common sense dictates.

  15. Fran wrote:

    > <show off>
    > onomatopoeia
    > </>

    I closed my eyes and bashed a few keys so I was pretty close.

    Chris

  16. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote
    >In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>>

    >>I could almost manage that! Many years ago a mate and I did a
    >>14 miler from that layby via South Head etc which took in Rushup Edge
    >>and Jacobs Ladder and a couple of pints in the George.

    >The George in Hayfield?

    Yes.
    Though I can't remember where it is now!
    --
    Gordon Harris

  17. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote
    >>In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    >><[email protected]> writes
    >>>>
    >>>I could almost manage that! Many years ago a mate and I did a
    >>>14 miler from that layby via South Head etc which took in Rushup Edge
    >>>and Jacobs Ladder and a couple of pints in the George.

    >>The George in Hayfield?

    >Yes.
    >Though I can't remember where it is now!

    You did well to walk back over the hill, then.
    --
    Chris Hill

  18. Gordon

    Gordon Guest

    Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote
    >In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    ><[email protected]> writes
    >>Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote
    >>>In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    >>><[email protected]> writes

    >>>The George in Hayfield?

    >>Yes.
    >>Though I can't remember where it is now!

    >You did well to walk back over the hill, then.

    Wait a minute! I just realised that we started from Highgate
    Road, the yellow road which loops off the A road, and parked at SK 045
    859, so it was only a short pull out of Hayfield to the car. :)
    --
    Gordon Harris

  19. Chris Hill

    Chris Hill Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    <[email protected]> writes
    >Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote
    >>In message <[email protected]>, Gordon
    >><[email protected]> writes
    >>>Chris Hill <[email protected]> wrote

    >>>Yes.
    >>>Though I can't remember where it is now!

    >>You did well to walk back over the hill, then.

    >Wait a minute! I just realised that we started from Highgate
    >Road, the yellow road which loops off the A road, and parked at SK 045
    >859, so it was only a short pull out of Hayfield to the car. :)

    Ah yes - I've sweated up Highgate Road many times.
    --
    Chris Hill