eat before or after workout

Carla

Guest
I'm wondering if its best to eat before or after workout. I usually walk 45-30 min. on the treadmill
with a pretty good incline. Then I do 100 sit-ups(crunch kind) and then occasionally I do some arm
weights. I like to do it first thing after everyone leaves in the morning and then eat my Special K
Red Berries(I'm addicted!). Sometimes though, I'm so hungry I can't wait until after the workout.

Which is better...before or after....or does it matter?

Also, is it best not to drink after a certain time the night before weigh in? I weigh on Friday
mornings and was trying to get my water in today and realized its almost 9:00pm. I may not have time
to get rid of it before WI.

Thanks! Carla

On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:57:01 -0600, "carla" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I'm wondering if its best to eat before or after workout. I usually walk 45-30 min. on the
>treadmill with a pretty good incline. Then I do 100 sit-ups(crunch kind) and then occasionally I
>do some arm weights. I like to do it first thing after everyone leaves in the morning and then eat
>my Special K Red Berries(I'm addicted!). Sometimes though, I'm so hungry I can't wait until after
>the workout.

It doesn't really matter, so whatever is most comfortable for you. Some protein after working out is
a good idea.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/202/182

Thanks Ray!

Ok, here's another question along those lines. Do you weigh more after exercising? Does the
workout make your muscles heavier? Hope that's not a silly question. I've heard talk of your
muscles hanging on to water, etc. I'm trying to decide whether or not to do my workout before WI.

Thanks again! Carla

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:57:01 -0600, "carla" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm wondering if its best to eat before or after workout. I usually
walk
> >45-30 min. on the treadmill with a pretty good incline. Then I do 100 sit-ups(crunch kind) and
> >then occasionally I do some arm weights. I
like to
> >do it first thing after everyone leaves in the morning and then eat my Special K Red
> >Berries(I'm addicted!). Sometimes though, I'm so hungry I can't wait until after the workout.
>
> It doesn't really matter, so whatever is most comfortable for you. Some protein after working
> out is a good idea.
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk
> 273/202/182

"ray miller" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Thu, 4 Mar 2004 20:57:01 -0600, "carla" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> >I'm wondering if its best to eat before or after workout. I usually walk 45-30 min. on the
> >treadmill with a pretty good incline. Then I do 100 sit-ups(crunch kind) and then occasionally I
> >do some arm weights. I like
> >do it first thing after everyone leaves in the morning and then eat my Special K Red Berries(I'm
> >addicted!). Sometimes though, I'm so hungry I can't wait until after the workout.
>
> It doesn't really matter, so whatever is most comfortable for you. Some protein after working out
> is a good idea.
>
> Ray
> --
> rmnsuk
> 273/202/182

Ray do you, or others, take protein supplements? If so what kind, how much? I am interested. I
currently do not.

Faye

carla wrote:

> Ok, here's another question along those lines. Do you weigh more after exercising? Does the
> workout make your muscles heavier? Hope that's not a silly question. I've heard talk of your
> muscles hanging on to water, etc. I'm trying to decide whether or not to do my workout
> before WI.

You will most likely gain weight on the long run, but not immediatly after a workout.

That weight gain is very desierable though since it will increase your resting metabolic rate (the
amount of energy your burn while doing nothing).

Cheers Marc

plup wrote:

> Ray do you, or others, take protein supplements? If so what kind, how much? I am interested. I
> currently do not.

I do. A protein powder from a german company named Multipower (available in GB and the US too). It
is whey isolate, the fastest digestible protein available. I take two shakes a day (4 points each, 3
scoops in skim milk) one immediately after a workout (on workout days that is) or as a snack and on
at night, just before going to bed.

Protein synthesis is most active after a workout and while sleeping so I try to make sure there is
enough protein to build muscle.

Cheers Marc

On Fri, 5 Mar 2004 12:15:19 -0600, "plup" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ray do you, or others, take protein supplements? If so what kind, how much? I am interested. I
>currently do not.

I have a 'shake' after a weights workout, and sometimes in the morning. 2 scoops of the cheapest
protein powder. Tastes awful, but It keeps hunger at bay.

Ray
--
rmnsuk
273/202/182