Eating 2kg of sweets

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Gareth, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Gareth

    Gareth Guest

    Got this from a newspaper article from a while back, anyone
    know about this case? Exactly how does a person die from
    eating sweets?

    SWEET DEATH

    A Turkish man has died after eating 2kg of sweets
    following a bet with a friend. Necati Ceylan, a 45 year
    old father of five, died in hospital in the southeren city
    of Gaziantep after spending 3 weeks in a coma, Anatolia
    news agency reported.

    Tags:

  2. Mxsmanic

    Mxsmanic Guest

    gareth writes:

    > Got this from a newspaper article from a while back,
    > anyone know about this case? Exactly how does a person die
    > from eating sweets?

    Normally one does not. However, 2000 g of sugar is a huge
    glucose load, and some people with defective glucose
    metabolism may develop fatal hyperglycemia or reactive
    hypoglycemia after consuming such a large amount. Even
    normal people might not be able to handle it, I suppose. I'd
    guess that this is what happened here, unless there were
    other ingredients in the sweets that may have been toxic.

    Chocolate contains theobromine, which must be metabolized by
    the liver. Human beings are quite efficient at this, and all
    reasonable amounts of chocolate are easily tolerated (dogs,
    in contrast, cannot handle theobromine very well, and are
    easily killed by large doses of chocolate). However, a
    really large amount of chocolate might overwhelm this
    metabolism and produce potentially dangerous toxicity.

    Two kilograms is a lot of sweets. That would be the
    equivalent of 20 chocolate bars. I like chocolate, but there
    are limits!

    --
    Transpose hotmail and mxsmanic in my e-mail address to reach
    me directly.

  3. Tcomeau

    Tcomeau Guest

    [email protected] (gareth) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Got this from a newspaper article from a while back,
    > anyone know about this case? Exactly how does a person die
    > from eating sweets?
    >
    > SWEET DEATH
    >
    > A Turkish man has died after eating 2kg of sweets
    > following a bet with a friend. Necati Ceylan, a 45 year
    > old father of five, died in hospital in the southeren city
    > of Gaziantep after spending 3 weeks in a coma, Anatolia
    > news agency reported.

    poi·son ( P ) Pronunciation Key (poizn)
    n. A substance that causes injury, illness, or death,
    especially by chemical means. Something destructive or
    fatal. Chemistry & Physics. A substance that inhibits
    another substance or a reaction: a catalyst poison.

    tr.v. poi·soned, poi·son·ing, poi·sons To kill or harm with
    poison. To put poison on or into: poisoning arrows; poisoned
    the drink.

    To pollute: Noxious fumes poison the air. See Synonyms at
    contaminate. To have a harmful influence on; corrupt:
    Jealousy poisoned their friendship. Chemistry & Physics. To
    inhibit (a substance or reaction).

    adj. Poisonous.

    --------------------
    [Middle English, from Old French, from Latin pti, ptin-,
    drink. See
    n(a)- in Indo-European Roots.]
    --------------------
    poison·er n. Word History: The phrase poison potion, besides
    being alliterative, also consists of doublets, that is, two
    words that go back ultimately to the same source in another
    language. The source for both words is Latin pti (stem form
    ptin-), which meant "the act of drinking, a drink, or a
    draft, as of a medicine or poison." Our word potion, which
    retains the sense "dose," passed through Old French (pocion)
    on its way to Middle English (pocion), first recorded in a
    work composed around 1300. In Old French pocion is a learned
    borrowing, one that was deliberately taken from Latin in a
    form corresponding to the Latin form. Our spelling potion is
    the result of a similar impulse toward Latinization; in the
    late Renaissance and Enlightenment, numerous English words
    that had been borrowed from Old French were respelled
    according to the shape of their Latin ancestors. Pocion thus
    was changed to potion on the model of Latin pti. But the
    Latin word had also passed through Vulgar Latin into Old
    French in the different form poison. This word meant
    "beverage," "liquid dose," and also "poison beverage,
    poison." The word poison is first recorded in Middle English
    in a work composed around 1200.

    tox·in ( P ) Pronunciation Key (tksn)
    o. A poisonous substance, especially a protein, that is
    produced by living cells or organisms and is capable of
    causing disease when introduced into the body tissues but
    is often also capable of inducing neutralizing antibodies
    or antitoxins.