Eating Before a Run

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by Karl Hungus, Mar 9, 2004.

  1. Karl Hungus

    Karl Hungus Guest

    I've been reading how many of the more serious runners here
    like to "carb up" before a particularly taxing event. Can
    anyone here explain what exactly that entails, how it's
    properly done, and what the benefits are?

    Also, I'm wondering if there's something I can be
    eating during the day that will provide me with a
    noticeable increase in energy during my little 6-mile
    runs 4 nights a week.

    Tags:

  2. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "Karl Hungus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s51...
    > I've been reading how many of the more serious runners
    > here like to "carb up" before a particularly taxing event.
    > Can anyone here explain what exactly that entails, how
    > it's properly done, and what the benefits are?
    >
    > Also, I'm wondering if there's something I can be eating
    > during the day
    that
    > will provide me with a noticeable increase in energy
    > during my little
    6-mile
    > runs 4 nights a week.

    There is carb loading, usually done before a long (say
    anything over 1 hour in duration) race. This involves
    reducing training volume for a few days and increasing
    carb intake over that time period to optimize muscle
    glycogen stores.

    For everyday folks who are exercising, the recommended range
    of carb intake is 6 to 10 g of carb per kg body weight (~2.5
    to 4.5 g per pound). Where your eating falls on that
    spectrum depends on training volume/intensity. For something
    like routine running, I would suggest 7 to 8 g/kg.

    Eat breakfast, lunch and dinner. Consider having a bit of a
    snack a couple of hours before running. perhaps a sport
    drink and something with carbs 2 hours pre-run. Then make
    sure you eat within an hour or so of eating (although if you
    are not going to run the next day, this is less important).

    The benefits of carbs (and muscle/liver glycogen) is that
    glycogen is the preferred energy source for exercise. It is
    more efficient in terms of energy production per liter of
    oxygen than say fat oxidation. THis means that you can run
    at a higher intensity which means more energy is expended.
    If one is training, running faster gives you a better
    training stimulus (however, one does need to vary the
    intensity and duration in a proper training program).

    If you neglect to take in carbs, over time the muscle
    glycogen stores will get reduced and that will impact the
    runs. So it might not happen the first day or even the
    second day, but several days it will catch up with you.

  3. Onemarathon

    Onemarathon Guest

    In article <[email protected]_s51>,
    "Karl Hungus" <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I've been reading how many of the more serious runners
    > here like to "carb up" before a particularly taxing event.
    > Can anyone here explain what exactly that entails, how
    > it's properly done, and what the benefits are?
    >
    > Also, I'm wondering if there's something I can be
    > eating during the day that will provide me with a
    > noticeable increase in energy during my little 6-mile
    > runs 4 nights a week.

    if i'm starving (haven't eaten since noon, and will run at
    5 or 6), i'll eat a Mars or Snickers bar around 3pm. if
    that can't happen, then i'll eat half a banana or a slice
    of wheat bread with a bit of honey on it directly before
    the run. i can do that and have no stomach troubles at all
    in the run.

    i tend to eat larger lunches than dinners these days since i
    am now running around my (former) dinner hour. so i eat a
    carb and protein-laden lunch of stew or heavy soup, or a big
    sandwich. stuff that'll digest during the afternoon and then
    fuel a hard or slightly longish run later on.

    Cam

  4. Ricker

    Ricker Guest

    Here is a decent and brief description of carb loading and
    generally how to do it.

    http://www.brianmac.demon.co.uk/carbload.htm

    Keep in mind that unless you are exercising for 1-2 hours
    or more you don't really need this. I have also read of
    others arguing that even on long runs most people stay well
    way from the aerobic to anaerobic threshold (known as the
    Lactic Threshold) and therefore do not deplete glycogen
    quite as fast
    (i.e. you use more fat for energy). Therefore, carb loading
    (AKA glycogen loading) is not necessary even for
    marathoners. Unless you are an elite runner pushing
    the envelope during the whole race, I wouldn't worry
    about it too much.

    As far as you 6 mile runs, probably the best way to keep
    energy up is to be well hydrated all day before the run and
    drink during the run. If you can a sports drink mixed with
    water is a good choice, a 50/50 mix should be fine. Sleep
    well at night, and don't over/or under eat before the run.
    Basically use your common sense. Oh!, you can drink a Red
    Bull or similar high caffeine drink just before running (15-
    20 minutes or so)...the caffeine should be somewhat helpful
    for shorter runs (i.e. runs less than 1 hour).

    That's all I know of that may be helpful. Good luck.

    Seeeeeeeeee ya, Rick

    "Karl Hungus" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]_s51...
    > I've been reading how many of the more serious runners
    > here like to "carb up" before a particularly taxing event.
    > Can anyone here explain what exactly that entails, how
    > it's properly done, and what the benefits are?
    >
    > Also, I'm wondering if there's something I can be eating
    > during the day
    that
    > will provide me with a noticeable increase in energy
    > during my little
    6-mile
    > runs 4 nights a week.

    ---
    virus system (http://www.grisoft.com). Version: 6.0.609 /
    Virus Database: 389 - Release Date: 3/3/2004

  5. Open Piper

    Open Piper Guest

  6. Bikeme

    Bikeme Guest

  7. Jojo

    Jojo Guest

    . Can anyone here explain what
    > > exactly that entails, how it's properly done, and what
    > > the benefits are?

    Others have given you the technical on carb loading so I
    will not repeat all of that.

    Carb loading has other benefits not yet mentioned.

    The proper way: Gather a bunch of your running friends and
    agree on a middle of the road Italian restaurant. Gather
    there in the early evening prior to the race and eat pasta,
    tell stories, drink lots of water and eat more pasta.
    Running can be very solitary...Use carb loading as an excuse
    to have fun!

    jojo ;-)

  8. On the evenings I plan to run, I generally have a large
    lunch (usually pasta or bean wrap), a snack about 3pm, and
    often a small snack (like a few nuts) right before I leave.
    I have a fairly iron stomach, I can eat a full bowl of Grape-
    Nuts and start a run 15 minutes later, as long as it's not a
    race or a speed workout. I always run better if I have eaten
    a good lunch.

    Teresa in AZ

    > "Karl Hungus" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >I've been reading how many of the more serious runners here
    >like to "carb up" before a particularly taxing event. Can
    >anyone here explain what exactly that entails, how it's
    >properly done, and what the benefits are?
    >
    >Also, I'm wondering if there's something I can be
    >eating during the day that will provide me with a
    >noticeable increase in energy during my little 6-mile
    >runs 4 nights a week.

  9. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Open piper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > : "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:<UOv3c.12399$%[email protected]
    > .net>...
    > : > Then make sure you eat within an hour or so of eating
    > : >
    > :
    > : ?????????????
    >
    > Umm...yeah, umm...I'm thinking this type of behavior
    > belongs in the post
    on
    > obesity...

    not at all, the muscles seem to be especially receptive to
    storing glycogen within a short time after exercise so there
    is a rationale for this suggestion.

  10. Bikeme

    Bikeme Guest

    "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    :
    : "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]...
    : >
    : > "Open piper" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : > news:[email protected]...
    : > : "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : > news:<UOv3c.12399$%[email protected]
    : > .net>...
    : > : > Then make sure you eat within an hour or so of
    : > : > eating
    : > : >
    : > :
    : > : ?????????????
    : >
    : > Umm...yeah, umm...I'm thinking this type of behavior
    : > belongs in the post
    : on
    : > obesity...
    : >
    : >
    :
    : not at all, the muscles seem to be especially receptive
    : to storing
    glycogen
    : within a short time after exercise so there is a rationale
    : for this suggestion.
    :
    :
    You might want to re-read it: "EAT within an hour or so
    of EATING"

    That's the kind of thing I used to do when I was fat...

  11. Sam

    Sam Guest

    "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:-
    > [email protected]
    > :
    > : "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > : news:[email protected]...
    > : >
    > : > "Open piper" <[email protected]> wrote in
    > : > message news:[email protected]
    > : > gle.com...
    > : > : "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > : > news:<UOv3c.12399$%[email protected]
    > : > nk.net>...
    > : > : > Then make sure you eat within an hour or so of
    > : > : > eating
    > : > : >
    > : > :
    > : > : ?????????????
    > : >
    > : > Umm...yeah, umm...I'm thinking this type of behavior
    > : > belongs in the
    post
    > : on
    > : > obesity...
    > : >
    > : >
    > :
    > : not at all, the muscles seem to be especially receptive
    > : to storing
    > glycogen
    > : within a short time after exercise so there is a
    > : rationale for this suggestion.
    > :
    > :
    > You might want to re-read it: "EAT within an hour or so
    > of EATING"
    >
    > That's the kind of thing I used to do when I was fat...

    Oops....although in my triathlon training days (a good 16-20
    hours per week) that was about what I was doing. Ah, those
    were the days, eat, exercise, eat, work, eat, exercise, eat,
    eat again and still weigh about 135 lbs (at 5-10)

  12. Bikeme

    Bikeme Guest

    "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    :
    : "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : news:[email protected]...
    : >
    : > "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : > news:[email protected]
    : > k.net...
    : > :
    : > : "bikeme" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    : > : news:[email protected]...
    : > : >
    : > : > "Open piper" <[email protected]> wrote in
    : > : > message news:[email protected]
    : > : > oogle.com...
    : > : > : "Sam" <[email protected]> wrote in
    : > : > : message
    : > : > news:<UOv3c.12399$%[email protected]
    : > : > link.net>...
    : > : > : > Then make sure you eat within an hour or so of
    : > : > : > eating
    : > : > : >
    : > : > :
    : > : >
[...]

    Same here, though I never weighed quite that low. But yeah,
    I remember continual training. And eating like a cow. But
    looking like bean pole with muscles. I even took to riding
    my Trek everywhere instead of driving. So even when I wasn't
    training, I was training. I miss those days. But a young
    son, busier life and arthritis in the knees have taken their
    toll. I don't expect to be able to run much longer- I'm
    wearing out my knees.