Eating before bed-time

Bullseye_blam

Sep 18, 2005
This is a general question [i.e. it should be considered under day-to-day circumstances, not pre-race or anything to that extent].

Do any of you eat close to bedtime? Sometimes I get hungry in the evening and wonder what I should do. I've heard that eating before bedtime is generally a bad thing, so I wanted to know if anyone here does it on a regular basis.

The questions are:
1. Do you eat close to bedtime?
2. If so, what do you eat?
3. If you don't eat anything, do you drink anything?
4. If you don't eat or drink anything, what do you do about your hunger? :)

Thanks,
Bullseye

Bullseye_blam said:
This is a general question [i.e. it should be considered under day-to-day circumstances, not pre-race or anything to that extent].

Do any of you eat close to bedtime? Sometimes I get hungry in the evening and wonder what I should do. I've heard that eating before bedtime is generally a bad thing, so I wanted to know if anyone here does it on a regular basis.

The questions are:

Thanks,
Bullseye
Yes, I have the same problem, get hungry around 8-9 in the evening, & I have heard it is not a good thing. But if hungry enough usually just a small bowl of cereal with lo-fat milk. Usually grape-nuts or something similiar. (lo-fat cereal) I wouldn't think that would do too much damage. It would be interesting to see what others have for a late night snack.

Bullseye_blam said:

The questions are:

Thanks,
Bullseye
1. try not to but typically do have something on most nights
2. a healthy high fiber cereal with milk

the main issue with night eating is that by that time of day most people have reached their caloric needs already so anything no matter what is consumed is surplus. try to wait out any cravings you may have for 5-10 minutes and really try to discern if you're feeling true phsyical hunger as opposed to a stress hunger, boredom hunger, etc.

jrstevens said:
1. try not to but typically do have something on most nights
2. a healthy high fiber cereal with milk

the main issue with night eating is that by that time of day most people have reached their caloric needs already so anything no matter what is consumed is surplus. try to wait out any cravings you may have for 5-10 minutes and really try to discern if you're feeling true phsyical hunger as opposed to a stress hunger, boredom hunger, etc.
I will agree 100% on the stress/boredom comments. Glad to see we both have a similiar snack though.

Kellogg's All Bran Buds and light soy milk. And maybe lightly salted quaker rice cakes. Hasn't done any damage so far.

Being that undisturbed sleep is one of the most important recovery aspects I have a late night snack about 30 minutes before bedtime. If I do not eat this I will more than likely wake with a burning sensation in my stomach that leaves me no choice but to get up and eat something which disrupts my sleep.

I typically eat a small cup of low fat yogurt with about a teaspoon of sunflower seeds and a teaspoon of high fiber cereal mixed together. That will typically help me get through the night.

I have had better luck by eating a bigger breakfast each morning. When I do, I end up not being hungry at night.

rule62 said:
I have had better luck by eating a bigger breakfast each morning. When I do, I end up not being hungry at night.

when i got really obsessive counting calories & get it right i found a benefit in it helping keep a consistent pattern of energy levels throughout the day; Typically i'm not really a 'morning person' but i found if 'timing it' I'd wake up hungry hence making me get up at a consistent time. ( this was when aiming for a deficit though so a period of feeling slightly hungry was inevitable )

Generally, I eat 3 well balanced meals each day with some light snacks in between such as apples, grapes, or other fruits or nuts.

I think your eating habits change especially during hard off-season training compared to in-season racing and such. If I'm riding EARLY, like at sun up I'll load up with some complex carbs right before bed so I avoid feeling bloated and full while riding.

There are a lot of variables that weigh in that overwelmed me at first. I found an excellant read that contains some great information on timing your foods with your riding schedule. If you read VeloNews much you've probably heard of the doctor by the name of Monique Ryan. She has a book named Sports Nutrition for Endurance Athletes published by VeloPress.

This book has helped me tremendously. Check it out.

Keep hammering!

definately don't eat anything that is high in fats, sugars, and simple carbs as this will make you gain some weight. i would suggest try drinking a big glass of water, often when your body is thirsty it will feel like it is hungry, even though you aren't. and if that doesn't work, eat some fat free yogurt, or anything low in calories and fat.

I have a cup of herbal tea and a slice of toasted wholemeal bread and organic honey. I always refuel with carbohydrate for the night - i.e. - any complex carbohydrate (bread, cereal etc.) plus honey. Honey is rich in fructose which goes directly to the liver to create glycogen. It is the liver that is the problem during the night. If taken care of you can build new lean muscle tissue at the expense of fat whilst you are sleeping! :D

DZ-015 said:
I have a cup of herbal tea and a slice of toasted wholemeal bread and organic honey. I always refuel with carbohydrate for the night - i.e. - any complex carbohydrate (bread, cereal etc.) plus honey. Honey is rich in fructose which goes directly to the liver to create glycogen. It is the liver that is the problem during the night. If taken care of you can build new lean muscle tissue at the expense of fat whilst you are sleeping! :D
I usually have a bowl of cereal with full cream milk and yeah the the cereal is lite start which contains plenty of carbs and sugars...I WEIGH 54 KILO'S! I really need to stop so I can get down to my goal weight of 52 kg's. For good sleep I suggest a shower and maybe hot chocolate with lite milk...make sure your room is cool and TOTALLY DARK!

Bullseye_blam said:
Have a glass of wine and a cigarette and the hunger feeling goes right away... :D

Seriously, I have a small bowl of cereal most nights. I take mine with Soy Milk over Nature's Path Multigrain Flakes or something similar. It seems to help me get a good nights sleep as well.

Lw

Your stomach as a problem digesting in the horizontal position large amounts of food. I will eat a small snack if I get hungry. Some cookie or a banana. If I'm thirsty I drink water or tang. I generally have dinner about 7:30 to 8:00. Bed time for me is about 9:30. I don't eat large amounts I think is the key.

Bullseye_blam said:

The questions are:

Thanks,
Bullseye

They say not to eat 3 hours before bed time, and if you do avoid carbs.

When I get hungry close to bed I like to eat a serving (1/4 cup) of walnuts and drink water.

STS901 said:
They say not to eat 3 hours before bed time, and if you do avoid carbs.

When I get hungry close to bed I like to eat a serving (1/4 cup) of walnuts and drink water.
Oh really. Who are "they"? I am a sports nutritionist MS RD and have never advised athletes to avoid carbs within the 3 hour period before bedtime. I also personally eat carbs in this window and know many others that do too with no ill effect.

JS

Its been proven that eating before bed time has no negative effects what so ever in fact it may be beneficial to a good nights sleep as if stomach is full the body is satisfied meaning you can get a good nights sleep.

jrstevens said:
Oh really. Who are "they"? I am a sports nutritionist MS RD and have never advised athletes to avoid carbs within the 3 hour period before bedtime. I also personally eat carbs in this window and know many others that do too with no ill effect.

JS
Tom Weede. Senior Editor: Mens Fitness; author: Men's Fitness, Muscle and Fitness, Natural Health

"Eating a carb heavy meal before bed can trigger an insulin response while you sleep. Over time, insulin tends to cause an increase in bodyfat storage." His exception is if you train at night, because carbs replenish glycogen stores depleted during workouts.

Future-pro said:
Its been proven that eating before bed time has no negative effects what so ever in fact it may be beneficial to a good nights sleep as if stomach is full the body is satisfied meaning you can get a good nights sleep.
Proven? That's one hell of a strong word. Got a source?