Eating Before Sleep

Discussion in 'General Fitness' started by NYC XYZ, Mar 2, 2005.

  1. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Hi, All:

    I've heard different things about eating before bed...it makes you fat,
    food simply passes through without real benefit, interferes with a good
    night's sleep...does anyone know (and/or have links/refs) regarding
    this matter?

    I mean, is it a bad thing? (Unhealthy?) Why?

    TIA!

    Tags:

  2. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    NYC XYZ wrote:
    > Hi, All:
    >
    > I've heard different things about eating before bed...it makes you
    > fat, food simply passes through without real benefit, interferes with
    > a good night's sleep...does anyone know (and/or have links/refs)
    > regarding this matter?
    >
    > I mean, is it a bad thing? (Unhealthy?) Why?
    >

    > TIA!

    I usually eat dinner at 10pm, then go right to bed. But I don't get home
    from the gym until 9pm, and to deprive my body of protein and nutrients post
    workout would be stupid. I also eat before I go to the gym. Usually a
    protein shake with some fruit.

    It's not so much "when" you eat, but how much in a day. Excess calories is
    what make you fat. When I get home from the gym, I'm usually around 1,800 -
    2,000 calories at that point. Since I'm cutting (dropping some weight), I'm
    shooting for around 2,600 calories. So, dinner is around 600 calories.

    You need to estimate what your calories are to maintain your weight. Then
    you can decide to eat at that to maintain, or under that to lose weight. I
    like this site:

    http://www.exrx.net/Calculators/CalRequire.html

    You could also start a free account on fitday.com and track calories. This
    will also give you grams of protein / carbs / fats eaten, which is helpful.

    If you eat more than your maintenance in a 24 hr period, you'll get fat. If
    you eat under your maintenance, you'll lose weight. Simple.
    --
    -Larry

  3. Do not eat right before bed time. It does not make you fatter but the food
    will not digest until you wake in the morning. Then your body tries to
    digest it along with breakfast. You may not eat as much thus depriving
    yourself of nutrition for that day.

    Depending on what you eat it can interfere with your sleep; indigestion or
    sugars trying to give you an energy boost.

    The best is do not eat less than two hours before bed time though I've heard
    as much as three and as little as 1.5 hours.

  4. Slambram

    Slambram Guest

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:48:30 -0600, "drhowarddrfinedrhoward"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >...the food will not digest until you wake in the morning.

    I'd love to see a reference for that gem.

  5. Larry Hodges

    Larry Hodges Guest

    Slambram wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:48:30 -0600, "drhowarddrfinedrhoward"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >> ...the food will not digest until you wake in the morning.

    > I'd love to see a reference for that gem.

    I was wondering the same thing...
    --
    -Larry

  6. Bob Falooley

    Bob Falooley Guest

    drhowarddrfinedrhoward wrote:
    > Do not eat right before bed time. It does not make you fatter but the food
    > will not digest until you wake in the morning. Then your body tries to
    > digest it along with breakfast. You may not eat as much thus depriving
    > yourself of nutrition for that day.

    Why wouldn't the food digest when I am sleeping, why am I hungrier when
    I wake up after eating right before I go to bed?

    > Depending on what you eat it can interfere with your sleep; indigestion or
    > sugars trying to give you an energy boost.

    Just don't eat crap.

    > The best is do not eat less than two hours before bed time though I've heard
    > as much as three and as little as 1.5 hours.

    I do not agree with this advice, I think you should eat whenever you
    like, but ideally spread your calories throughout the day. While
    bulking wake up in the middle of the night and chug a glass of milk.

    --Falooley

  7. David  Cohen

    David Cohen Guest

  8. NYC XYZ

    NYC XYZ Guest

    Slambram wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 12:48:30 -0600, "drhowarddrfinedrhoward"
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > >...the food will not digest until you wake in the morning.

    > I'd love to see a reference for that gem.

    I've heard that too...and, frankly, it does seem that when I do eat
    right before bed (even just half of a "real" meal, up to two whole
    hours just before sleep), I tend to do a "number two" first or second
    thing in the morning! =d

  9. Proton Soup

    Proton Soup Guest

    On 2 Mar 2005 09:25:53 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >Hi, All:
    >
    >I've heard different things about eating before bed...it makes you fat,
    >food simply passes through without real benefit, interferes with a good
    >night's sleep...does anyone know (and/or have links/refs) regarding
    >this matter?

    >I mean, is it a bad thing? (Unhealthy?) Why?

    If you have GERD (reflux), it's probably not a good idea. But even if
    you have GERD, you may be able to get away with certain foods like
    milk, ice cream, protein shakes, etc., if you don't overdo it.

    >TIA!

    -----------
    Proton Soup

    "Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

  10. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "Bob Falooley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > drhowarddrfinedrhoward wrote:
    > > Do not eat right before bed time. It does not make you fatter but the

    food
    > > will not digest until you wake in the morning. Then your body tries to
    > > digest it along with breakfast. You may not eat as much thus depriving
    > > yourself of nutrition for that day.
    > >

    > Why wouldn't the food digest when I am sleeping, why am I hungrier when
    > I wake up after eating right before I go to bed?
    >
    > > Depending on what you eat it can interfere with your sleep; indigestion

    or
    > > sugars trying to give you an energy boost.

    > Just don't eat crap.
    >

    > > The best is do not eat less than two hours before bed time though I've

    heard
    > > as much as three and as little as 1.5 hours.
    > >

    > I do not agree with this advice, I think you should eat whenever you
    > like, but ideally spread your calories throughout the day. While
    > bulking wake up in the middle of the night and chug a glass of milk.
    >
    > --Falooley

    It's not a matter of calories as much as acid burning your esophageal valve
    and eventually going up into your throat. The Ashley Simpson excuse as to
    why she sounded like shit.
    If you do it all the time eventually you will have esophageal reflux disease
    and will have to sleep in a more upright position. Anybody with this
    condition knows and you don't have to ask them twice about how long one can
    eat before going to bed. You will find out as the years pass. That question
    is really one for the young foolish kids.

  11. Robert

    Robert Guest

    "Proton Soup" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On 2 Mar 2005 09:25:53 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    > wrote:
    >

    > >Hi, All:
    > >
    > >I've heard different things about eating before bed...it makes you fat,
    > >food simply passes through without real benefit, interferes with a good
    > >night's sleep...does anyone know (and/or have links/refs) regarding
    > >this matter?

    > >I mean, is it a bad thing? (Unhealthy?) Why?

    > If you have GERD (reflux), it's probably not a good idea. But even if
    > you have GERD, you may be able to get away with certain foods like
    > milk, ice cream, protein shakes, etc., if you don't overdo it.
    >
    > >TIA!

    > -----------
    > Proton Soup
    >
    > "Thanks for noticing that I didn't actually say anything." - Mike Lane

    You should rephrase that from "if you have GERD" to "if you want to avoid
    GERD" and also if you want to avoid esophageal cancer. People don't get it
    that their is concentrated acid in their stomach and if you lie down then it
    travels back up. The esophagus and upper structures are not well suited for
    handling a constant acid load.

  12. Bob Falooley wrote:
    > drhowarddrfinedrhoward wrote:
    >> Do not eat right before bed time. It does not make you fatter but
    >> the food will not digest until you wake in the morning. Then your
    >> body tries to digest it along with breakfast. You may not eat as
    >> much thus depriving yourself of nutrition for that day.
    >>

    > Why wouldn't the food digest when I am sleeping, why am I hungrier
    > when I wake up after eating right before I go to bed?
    >
    >> Depending on what you eat it can interfere with your sleep;
    >> indigestion or sugars trying to give you an energy boost.

    > Just don't eat crap.
    >

    >> The best is do not eat less than two hours before bed time though
    >> I've heard as much as three and as little as 1.5 hours.
    >>

    > I do not agree with this advice, I think you should eat whenever you
    > like, but ideally spread your calories throughout the day. While
    > bulking wake up in the middle of the night and chug a glass of milk.
    >
    > --Falooley

    A jar of cookies close to the milk is downright convenient too ;)
    Actually it works while cutting too ;))) I just leave out the milk and go
    for the cookies.

    --
    Perre
    I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

  13. Robert wrote:
    > "Bob Falooley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]
    >> drhowarddrfinedrhoward wrote:
    >>> Do not eat right before bed time. It does not make you fatter but
    >>> the food will not digest until you wake in the morning. Then your
    >>> body tries to digest it along with breakfast. You may not eat as
    >>> much thus depriving yourself of nutrition for that day.
    >>>

    >> Why wouldn't the food digest when I am sleeping, why am I hungrier
    >> when I wake up after eating right before I go to bed?
    >>
    >>> Depending on what you eat it can interfere with your sleep;
    >>> indigestion or sugars trying to give you an energy boost.

    >> Just don't eat crap.
    >>

    >>> The best is do not eat less than two hours before bed time though
    >>> I've heard as much as three and as little as 1.5 hours.
    >>>

    >> I do not agree with this advice, I think you should eat whenever you
    >> like, but ideally spread your calories throughout the day. While
    >> bulking wake up in the middle of the night and chug a glass of milk.
    >>
    >> --Falooley
    >>

    > It's not a matter of calories as much as acid burning your esophageal
    > valve and eventually going up into your throat. The Ashley Simpson
    > excuse as to why she sounded like shit.
    > If you do it all the time eventually you will have esophageal reflux
    > disease and will have to sleep in a more upright position. Anybody
    > with this condition knows and you don't have to ask them twice about
    > how long one can eat before going to bed. You will find out as the
    > years pass. That question is really one for the young foolish kids.

    I don't think it's a matter of age as much as of obesity.

    --
    Perre
    I gave up on SPAM and redirected it to hotmail instead.

  14. Roger Zoul

    Roger Zoul Guest

    Larry Hodges wrote:
    :: NYC XYZ wrote:
    ::: Hi, All:
    :::
    ::: I've heard different things about eating before bed...it makes you
    ::: fat, food simply passes through without real benefit, interferes
    ::: with a good night's sleep...does anyone know (and/or have
    ::: links/refs) regarding this matter?
    :::
    ::: I mean, is it a bad thing? (Unhealthy?) Why?
    :::
    :::
    ::: TIA!
    ::
[...]

    Not quite. You can average calories over days to avoid weight gain. Hence,
    if you eat over maintenance one day and then eat under maintenance the next
    by the same amount, it will balance out. there seems to be a lag time
    before the body can respond to an increase/decrease relative to maintenance.
    IME, BTW.

    :: --
    :: -Larry

  15. Slambram

    Slambram Guest

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 13:35:36 -0800, "Robert" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >You should rephrase that from "if you have GERD" to "if you want to avoid
    >GERD" and also if you want to avoid esophageal cancer. People don't get it
    >that their is concentrated acid in their stomach and if you lie down then it
    >travels back up. The esophagus and upper structures are not well suited for
    >handling a constant acid load.

    If i lie down after i eat i'll get cancer?

  16. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Do not eat right before bed time. It does not make you fatter but the food
    >will not digest until you wake in the morning.

    Horsepuckey. Please show some data.

    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/09/04)

  17. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:44:58 +0100, "Per Elmsäter"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Robert wrote:
    >> "Bob Falooley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> news:[email protected]
    >>>>

    >>> Why wouldn't the food digest when I am sleeping, why am I hungrier
    >>> when I wake up after eating right before I go to bed?

    >>> Just don't eat crap.

    >>> I do not agree with this advice, I think you should eat whenever you
    >>> like, but ideally spread your calories throughout the day. While
    >>> bulking wake up in the middle of the night and chug a glass of milk.
    >>>
    >>> --Falooley
    >>>

    >> It's not a matter of calories as much as acid burning your esophageal
    >> valve and eventually going up into your throat. The Ashley Simpson
    >> excuse as to why she sounded like shit.
    >> If you do it all the time eventually you will have esophageal reflux
    >> disease and will have to sleep in a more upright position. Anybody
    >> with this condition knows and you don't have to ask them twice about
    >> how long one can eat before going to bed. You will find out as the
    >> years pass. That question is really one for the young foolish kids.

    >I don't think it's a matter of age as much as of obesity.

    It's both -- plus genetics. I have mild GERD. It is being controlled
    with proton pump meds. It has gotten worse as I have gotten older. It
    gets worse if I gain weight. My doc confirms both of these. He also
    says that I probably have a weakness or maybe a defect in the valve
    that keeps stomach acid in the stomach.

    Eating within an hour or so of going to bed causes severe heartburn.

    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/09/04)

  18. Top Spin

    Top Spin Guest

    On Wed, 02 Mar 2005 15:22:23 -0600, Proton Soup <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >On 2 Mar 2005 09:25:53 -0800, "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]>
    >wrote:
    >

    >>Hi, All:
    >>
    >>I've heard different things about eating before bed...it makes you fat,
    >>food simply passes through without real benefit, interferes with a good
    >>night's sleep...does anyone know (and/or have links/refs) regarding
    >>this matter?

    >>I mean, is it a bad thing? (Unhealthy?) Why?

    >If you have GERD (reflux), it's probably not a good idea. But even if
    >you have GERD, you may be able to get away with certain foods like
    >milk, ice cream, protein shakes, etc., if you don't overdo it.

    Some can, I suppose. I can't get away with even water. Nada. If I eat
    within an hour or so of bedtime, I pay.

    Email: Usenet-20031220 at spamex.com
    (11/09/04)

  19. mjoann

    mjoann Guest

    Top Spin wrote:
    > On Wed, 2 Mar 2005 22:44:58 +0100, "Per Elmsäter"
    >>I don't think it's a matter of age as much as of obesity.

    > It's both -- plus genetics. I have mild GERD.

    I just have to step out of lurking to contradict this... It is more
    eating habits and genetics than sheer obesity.
    I was always the skinniest kid in school, and have never been obese, or
    even average at any point in my life, but I remember having acid reflux
    from as early as the age of five. By the time I was 12, it was so
    severe, I could hardly swallow, and endoscopies showed severe damage as
    well as barrett's esophagus, (a pre-cancerous condition from repeated
    scaring.) For me, it was completely genetics and my dad who was always
    thin suffered at a young age as well.

    And back to the original question, the only problem with eating before
    bed is, as discovered, heartburn and acid. One effect of acid reflux is
    it causes difficulty breathing as acid may irritate the airways. If I
    lay down within 2-3 hours of eating, I wake up with horrific heartburn
    and difficulty breathing that lasts for hours, other people may be more
    lucky.

    mjoann

  20. Rene

    Rene Guest

    "NYC XYZ" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > Hi, All:
    >
    > I've heard different things about eating before bed...it makes you fat,
    > food simply passes through without real benefit, interferes with a good
    > night's sleep...does anyone know (and/or have links/refs) regarding
    > this matter?
    >
    > I mean, is it a bad thing? (Unhealthy?) Why?
    >

    > TIA!

    This came to my mind:

    From "Protein Power" by Drs Eades in regard to the release of human growth
    hormone

    "A couple of important points need to be made, however. First, since
    increased glucose levels inhibit the release of growth hormone, it behooves
    us to avoid anything sweet, starchy or otherwise carbohydrate laden before
    we go to bed. Any of these substances will give us an elevation of blood
    glucose that will inhibit the normal shot of growth hormone released an hour
    or so after our falling asleep. See what all those snacks of milk and
    cookies at bedtime have been doing to you!
    Second, the pulse of growth hormone released by exercise generally hits the
    circulation toward the end of the workout and immediately after. If you
    want to inhibit this growth hormone surge, all you have to do is to eat a
    power bar or a candy or drink fruit juice, as trainers often advise you to
    do before, during, and right after workouts in the mistaken notion that you
    need "explosive, high-carbo energy" as on of these products advertises.
    What you're really getting is not growth hormone. Always work out on an
    empty stomach, don't consume anything except water during the workout, and
    don't eat until an hour or so after. Then make sure it's a protein-rich
    meal-you need plenty of amino acids for the growth hormone to use to repair
    and rebuild your muscles."

    Comments?

    René