Eating en route

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Peter B, Mar 12, 2005.

  1. Peter B

    Peter B Guest

    "pk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks. Whenever

    we
    > do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a stash of bananas,
    > muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.
    >
    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days

    Same as you plus a carbohydrate additive in my drinks, Maxim, SIS, High 5,
    etc.
    Try them before your main event to check that they don't disagee.
    http://www.highfive.co.uk/
    http://www.scienceinsport.com/
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?Manu=Maxim

    Pete

    Tags:

  2. pk

    pk Guest

    A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks. Whenever we
    do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a stash of bananas,
    muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.

    I'm a tad concerned about one of the guys who does not see this as a
    priority and always runs out of energy at the end of the day (Where's the
    surprise?)

    I'd like to nudge him onto better ways.

    What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days

    pk

  3. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    pk wrote:
    > A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks. Whenever we
    > do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a stash of bananas,
    > muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.
    >
    > I'm a tad concerned about one of the guys who does not see this as a
    > priority and always runs out of energy at the end of the day (Where's the
    > surprise?)
    >
    > I'd like to nudge him onto better ways.

    Perhaps the answer is to carry some for him. Day one, he runs out of
    energy. You offer him some energy food to help him finish the ride.
    Day two, near the end of the day you suggest that he eats some so he
    doesn't run out of energy like yesterday. Day three you give him a pack
    and then have rest stops when everyone has a munch.

    As a rule I don't like energy food on a ride. I find it artificially
    increases my energy levels and then becomes "addictive" because you
    start to feel flat without it. I therefore generally ride without it
    but if I am doing a one off more endurance ride I will take some energy
    food with me to top up if I run out.

    Tony

  4. James Annan

    James Annan Guest

    Tony Raven wrote:

    > pk wrote:
    >
    >> A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks.
    >> Whenever we do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a
    >> stash of bananas, muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.
    >>
    >> I'm a tad concerned about one of the guys who does not see this as a
    >> priority and always runs out of energy at the end of the day (Where's
    >> the surprise?)
    >>
    >> I'd like to nudge him onto better ways.
    >>

    > Perhaps the answer is to carry some for him.

    Beat me to it. It's "not fair" to have to supply and carry his food, but
    easier to let him learn relatively painlessly than have to argue about
    it endlessly beforehand and/or spoil the ride. Experience is a good teacher.

    James

  5. On Sat, 12 Mar 2005 09:18:45 +0000 (UTC), "pk"
    <[email protected]>:

    >What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    >doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days

    Short rides, then ;-)

    Muesli bars, Kendal Mint Cake for those emergency "bonk" situations,
    fig rolls, malt loaf - whatever floats your boat, really.

    Guy
    --
    http://www.chapmancentral.co.uk

    simple, neat and wrong" - HL Mencken

  6. Tony B

    Tony B Guest

    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days

    water/apple juice 50/50 in the bottles, sundried bananas in a pocket for
    en route, good chocolate in a pack somewhere just in case (min 70%
    cocoa, that sort of thing... far too good for kids/dogs/other people!),
    decent brekkie (coffee, toast, jam, cereal) with a nice lunch (eg beans
    on toast and a pot of tea as during my recent Audax introduction) sees
    me right.

    Eat before hungry (sundried banana every hour) and drink before thirsty
    (coupel of swigs every half hour) seems a good rule of thumb.

    Oh, and a decent malt/cigar combo at the end ;-)

    hth,

    Tony B

    (kidding about the cigar BTW)

  7. Jon Senior

    Jon Senior Guest

    Tony B wrote:
    > Oh, and a decent malt/cigar combo at the end ;-)

    Which conjures the image of a cyclist wobbling no-handed into the last
    control, whisky in one hand, cigar in the other. :)

    Jon

  8. pk wrote:

    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days

    Flapjacks. I made it from Swindon to Bedford on two of them (96 miles).

  9. Supermarket 'own brand' muesli bars
    Home-baked oat bombs
    Raid a bakery - bread pud etc

    Wash down with LOTS of a drink you like.

    Ideally, clean your teeth...

    --
    Helen D. Vecht: [email protected]
    Edgware.

  10. davek

    davek Guest

    pk wrote:
    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days

    I just got in a stock of energy bars and gels to see me through
    tomorrow's ride (a hilly 100km), but my wife was quite disgusted at the
    thought of them and suggested I make some flapjacks to take instead.

    And she's right - flapjacks would be perfect for topping up energy
    levels en route.

    Another favourite of mine is peanut butter and jam sandwiches (crunchy
    peanut butter, low sugar jam, wholemeal bread).

    d.

  11. pk wrote:
    > A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks. Whenever we
    > do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a stash of bananas,
    > muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.
    >
    > I'm a tad concerned about one of the guys who does not see this as a
    > priority and always runs out of energy at the end of the day (Where's the
    > surprise?)
    >
    > I'd like to nudge him onto better ways.
    >
    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days
    >
    > pk

    Last time I did 50 miles (Boxing Day), I consumed 2 ham sandwiches, 1
    bottle of water, 1/2 small flask of coffee and 3 pints of beer. Oh, and
    10 cigarettes.

  12. Paul D

    Paul D Guest

    I'm the original cheapskate with food for cycling, but I've never had a
    problem with running out of energy since I adopted this method about a year
    ago (thanks in part to the advice of this NG)

    2 rounds of white toast with butter and jam before I go out, banana as well
    usually if it's gonna be 40+ miles. Water with dilute juice and a bit of
    salt in to carry with me, along with 1 malt loaf roughly per 80 miles to be
    cycled. Banana or other piece of fruit when I get home.

    I'm a planner type of person so I always know roughly where any decent
    climbs are in a ride and try to eat some maltloaf about 15-25 mins before I
    get there.

    Works for me and maltloaf = about 1p per mile at my rate of consumption
    (prob different for others as i'm 6'2" and 90kg) plus it's something I love
    to eat anyway, so it's like a treat when I'm out on the bike. Energy bars?
    Too pricey for me.

    "pk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks. Whenever
    >we do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a stash of
    >bananas, muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.
    >
    > I'm a tad concerned about one of the guys who does not see this as a
    > priority and always runs out of energy at the end of the day (Where's the
    > surprise?)
    >
    > I'd like to nudge him onto better ways.
    >
    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days
    >
    > pk

  13. pk

    pk Guest

    "Paul D" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >> I'm a planner type of person so I always know roughly where any decent

    > climbs are in a ride and try to eat some maltloaf about 15-25 mins before
    > I get there.

    On the coast to coast surely that means continuous eating!

    :)-)

    pk

  14. MSA

    MSA Guest

    pk wrote:
    > A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks. Whenever we
    > do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a stash of bananas,
    > muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.
    >
    > I'm a tad concerned about one of the guys who does not see this as a
    > priority and always runs out of energy at the end of the day (Where's the
    > surprise?)
    >
    > I'd like to nudge him onto better ways.
    >
    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days
    >
    > pk

    For a 40-50mile ride I personally do not eat. I will have a breakfast
    consisting of 3 slices of wholemeal toast with honey on, and 2 bananas.
    30-45 minutes later I will ride. When my ride goes over 3 hours I
    will take bars in my back pocket or factor in a shop en-route.

    --
    Mark

    Deja Moo - The feeling that you've heard this bull before

  15. pk

    pk Guest

    "MSA" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    > For a 40-50mile ride I personally do not eat. I will have a breakfast
    > consisting of 3 slices of wholemeal toast with honey on, and 2 bananas.
    > 30-45 minutes later I will ride. When my ride goes over 3 hours I will
    > take bars in my back pocket or factor in a shop en-route.

    on the c2c, the 40-50 miles will take all day! there are a lot of hills in
    the way!

    Thanks for the advice from various posters.

    We have a 30 mile "training" ride tomorrow to box hill and back - i'll try
    to persuade him to eat something on the way.

    pk

  16. mewthree

    mewthree Guest

    "pk" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    >A group of us are doing the C2C from Whitehaven in a few weeks. Whenever
    >we do longer outings (South downs etc) I make sure I have a stash of
    >bananas, muesli bars etc to snack on during the ride.
    >
    > I'm a tad concerned about one of the guys who does not see this as a
    > priority and always runs out of energy at the end of the day (Where's the
    > surprise?)
    >
    > I'd like to nudge him onto better ways.
    >
    > What do people eat on long rides to keep energy levels up? - we will be
    > doing 40/50 mile hard cycling days
    >
    > pk

    one of the girls always has a bacon buttie. one of the lads has anything as
    long as it is followed by a apple pie.

  17. congokid

    congokid Guest

    In message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
    <[email protected]?.?.invalid> writes
    >Tony B wrote:
    >> Oh, and a decent malt/cigar combo at the end ;-)

    >Which conjures the image of a cyclist wobbling no-handed into the last
    >control, whisky in one hand, cigar in the other. :)

    That would be Dave Allen.

    --
    congokid
    Good restaurants in London? Number one on Google

  18. Nick Kew

    Nick Kew Guest

    congokid wrote:
    > In message <[email protected]>, Jon Senior
    > <[email protected]?.?.invalid> writes
    >
    >> Tony B wrote:
    >>
    >>> Oh, and a decent malt/cigar combo at the end ;-)

    >> Which conjures the image of a cyclist wobbling no-handed into the last
    >> control, whisky in one hand, cigar in the other. :)

    > That would be Dave Allen.

    Since when is a sedan chair a bike?

    --
    Nick Kew

  19. Steph Peters

    Steph Peters Guest

    MSA <[email protected]> of wrote:
    >For a 40-50mile ride I personally do not eat. I will have a breakfast
    >consisting of 3 slices of wholemeal toast with honey on, and 2 bananas.
    > 30-45 minutes later I will ride. When my ride goes over 3 hours I
    >will take bars in my back pocket or factor in a shop en-route.

    Good grief! How do you (and others) do it? Audrey and I went for our second
    training ride today, 16 miles for her, 18 for me 'cos I went home via the
    supermarket. Took us over 2 hours, due to closed cycle paths and lots of
    map consultation. When I got home I was definitely feeling empty, to the
    extent that for our projected first 20 miles next weekend I'm definitely
    factoring in a tea and cake stop.
    --
    He's dead, Jim. You grab his wallet, I'll grab his tricorder.
    Steph Peters delete invalid from [email protected]lid