eating for the Terrible Two

Pbook

Guest
I would love to get feedback on a 3-day eating regiment for
an extremely treacherous double century I am doing. 16k
feet of climbing, 201 miles and if your advice is good
under 12-hours!

Also if this is your field what would you recommend for ride
food. Last year I couldn't really stomach solid food so I
did allot of glue. Cramping was an issue too last year but
temps hit 118 deg F at one point. Weather forecast is for 82
this year.

Thanks for your suggestions.

Look up Crank Sports on the web. Their e-Fuel and e-Gel are
something I got into this year, and really helped me in a
170 mile race. Only about 2500 ft of climbing; not much, but
hey, no descents either, so 7:20 of constant pedaling...

Anyway, the gels are bigger packages than others, about 150
cals each, but the biggie is that they contain a load of
sodium and potassium in them as well; more than most others.
I used those primarily, about 2 per hour, plus had several
bottles of water and one of accelerade with me, along with a
couple of cliff bars for something solid. The e-Gels were
great at keeping the cramps at bay. Suggestion, make sure to
drink early in the ride. For the first couple of hrs, make
sure to take one bottle of fluid per hour. It's easy to
neglect it at the beginning of the ride, because you feel so
good, and you may forget. that can trash you a 100 more
miles down the road.

Days before, I stocked up on sodium, potassium and magnesium
to get the electrolytes in shape, and ate some 40-30-30
meals, about 25% more calories than I would have otherwise,
for the 2 days prior. Like Chicken Marsala, with a couple
extra rolls and the pasta on the side, for example.

So no, no MD here, but what I did for a similarly long race.
BTW, did not feel depleted or bonked at all after the ride.

news:[email protected]...

"Dave" <[email protected]> writes:

> Anyway, the gels are bigger packages than others, about
> 150 cals each, but the biggie is that they contain a
> load of sodium and potassium in them as well; more than
> most others.

Thanks for the reference.

But that sodium at 130mg is a bit more than I feel
comfortable with......

--
le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett No e-patents, pas de brevets
logiciels Pétition contre les brevets logiciels :

I thought so too, but you're gonna lose a LOT on that much
of a distance. And if you're getting along with the
potassium, it's not going to have as drastic effect as if
you just took salt tablets. Balancing with the magnesium
(CalMag tablets - calcium-magnesium) a few days before,
since magnesium is not as readily absorbed as the other two
gives a good mix.

You're going to sweat a lot on a double, and lose a lot of
sodium. I know it sounds like a lot, and I thought so too,
but the person who recommended it to me recently won her age
group (35-39 I think) at the World Triathlon Chamionships in
Portugal recently, and then shortly after won the Disney
Half Ironman, and does these things a lot, so I took it from
her experience, and just trusted. You don't know me from a
hole in the wall, but hey, thought I'd try to help.

Just realize what you're gonna put your body through, and
you're going to need it....

"Davey Crockett" <[email protected]> wrote in
message news:87wu27udzf.fsf@cpe000423176ea9-
cm0f2069983361.cpe.net.cable.rogers.com...
> "Dave" <[email protected]> writes:
>
> > Anyway, the gels are bigger packages than others, about
> > 150 cals each,
but
> > the biggie is that they contain a load of sodium and
> > potassium in them
as
> > well; more than most others.
>
> Thanks for the reference.
>
> But that sodium at 130mg is a bit more than I feel
> comfortable with......
>
> --
> le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett No e-patents, pas de brevets
> logiciels Pétition contre les brevets logiciels :
> http://petition.eurolinux.org Six-Day site:
> http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html Please
> address all replies to the list

"pbook" wrote ...
> I would love to get feedback on a 3-day eating regiment
> for an extremely treacherous double century I am doing.

Check out the nutrition link here:

http://www.ultracycling.com/

JF

I use E-Caps Endurolytes to help with electrolyte and salt
replacement - I haven't had any problems with cramping since
I started using them several years ago. Prior to that I
would sometimes get cramps on extremely hot days (temps
above 100) even when I carefully took enough fluids.

"pbook" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I would love to get feedback on a 3-day eating regiment
> for an extremely treacherous double century I am doing.
> 16k feet of climbing, 201 miles and if your advice is good
> under 12-hours!
>
> Also if this is your field what would you recommend for
> ride food. Last year I couldn't really stomach solid food
> so I did allot of glue. Cramping was an issue too last
> year but temps hit 118 deg F at one point. Weather
> forecast is for 82 this year.
>
> Thanks for your suggestions.

Thanks for all the great suggestions! However, I did cramp
again this year at about the exact same spot as last year
(Mile 140). Oddly enough the temps were 25 deg cooler. I was
super hydrated (H2O)going into it, and I drank at least a
couple of bottles between each food stop. I was trying to
drink a high carb low sugar drink but by mile 110 I needed a
Mountain Dew and a half of a Coke, anyway from there on out
I had a coke at each stop plus two water bottles 4X or so.

I sweat like a mad man and with the temps falling as we
neared the coast and a long decent I think that my sprinters
legs just needed to chill or actually start sweating again.
The last climb is just treacherous well over 15% in many
spots so you can through a 39x27 out the window, but I found
that standing would keep the cramps at bay. Sitting bad,
standing good. So I stuck with that, and recovered pretty
well to finish off the last flatter part. Time: 12:59, 6-
minutes faster than last year.

Consumption:

Hammer Gel x6 Cliff Bar x2 e-capps x20 Soda x5 H2O bottles
x10-14??? Turkey sandwich x1 Watermelon several pieces. Cup
of Chicken Noodle Soup x1 Fig bars from the road at the top
of Fort Ross x2 Hey they looked good and I was spent!