Eating Meat (or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pendejo

Apr 8, 2006
This has no doubt been discussed before here, but I'm curious as to how many serious cyclists out there are vegetarians, and what led up to that. I didn't eat red meat for about 20 years, started again (long story), and now after ten years started getting disgusted again with the concept of eating dead flesh. I may not be able to do it again now.

I have been a vegetarian for over ten years. Mainly due to environmental/ecological concerns that for any animal-based concern.

A vegetarian diet can give you just about all of the essential vitamins, fuel sources, protein, minerals, etc., needed for sports, as will a meat-based diet. I believe there is a B-complex that's only available in 1-2 vegetables, but I take supplements to get it. Also, I have to use some supplements to get things like Omega-3s which come more naturally in meat.

It will be harder for someone who is a vegan, but if one is a lacto-ovo (eggs and diary), they won't notice much difference nutritionally if they put a little effort into their diet. If you still enjoy the "taste" of meat, some of the new soy-based mtea alternatives such as chicken fingers, fake ribs, etc., are pretty tasty, if high in fat and salt.

Not trying to convert anyone...just giving my .02.

Pendejo said:
This has no doubt been discussed before here, but I'm curious as to how many serious cyclists out there are vegetarians, and what led up to that. I didn't eat red meat for about 20 years, started again (long story), and now after ten years started getting disgusted again with the concept of eating dead flesh. I may not be able to do it again now.
I've seen some pretty successful athletes, both cyclists and other endurance types, who are vegetarians. Personally, I can't live without a good chunk of beef, but I admire the athletes who follow a strict vegetarian diet and really focus on eating the appropriate foods.
mmmmm, dead flesh
biggrin.gif

most that I know r non veg, while there are sum who say that vegetarian food can easily keep themselves healthy!

ive been vegetarian with no problems for 12 years now... always ate a healthy diet and kept myself fit and very active.

when i started cycling seriously about 2 years ago, i had to up my protein intake, and my carb intake of course.

low fat cottage cheese is a super protein food and you can eat it with just about anything :D

as long as you get the right amount of nutrients and energy for your lifestyle, i dont think it matters what you eat!

In an open Q & A forum we did as a fundraiser to support our collegiate cycling team Marty Jamieson ('99 USPRO champ, twice finished of the Tour, pretty good pro domestique in europe) was asked about a vegetarian diet. If it matters, he said that not a single top level pro was able to pull it off although some tried. Not the word of god and most of us don't push our bodies that far but it does say something.

xcmntgeek said:
In an open Q & A forum we did as a fundraiser to support our collegiate cycling team Marty Jamieson ('99 USPRO champ, twice finished of the Tour, pretty good pro domestique in europe) was asked about a vegetarian diet. If it matters, he said that not a single top level pro was able to pull it off although some tried. Not the word of god and most of us don't push our bodies that far but it does say something.

Actually there have been several top riders who are vegetarian. For e.g., Robert Millar, Urs Zimmerman, and Yvonne McGregor.

There's no reason, whatsoever, why you couldn't be a top level pro and be a vegetarian. If you were e.g., and ovo-lacto vegetarian it's pretty easy to meet your protein requirements as well as carbohydrate requirements.

Additionally, as the main requirement when racing events such as a Grand Tour are to consume vast quantities of carbohydrates (e.g., 12g per kg body mass per day) it tends to be easier to accomplish on a veggie diet as your food can often be skewed that way. It's also easy to consume the upper amount of protein that's required during extreme exercise (i.e., 2 g/kg body mass per day).

Ric

Another vote for vegetarianism. I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 17 years. Protein isn't such a concern when you're lacto-ovo, I also eat lots of soy-based foods. The cholesterol level of 128 is also a nice side benefit :)

wh0areume said:
:( sorry, it was - it was the bird that made me laugh, i dont know why..
i'll delete it
i didnt think toucans were particularly edible in the first place :p

funny thing about that picture is that it contains perhaps 3 of the most inedible animals on the planet (koala would probably taste like a cough lolly, with all that eucalyptus oil...) so i guess it was *slightly* funny :p

I've been a vegan for three years and now a vegetarian for half a year.

I think meat does contain certain things that can really give you an energy boast so to speak, not sure if it's psychological or has something to do with the iron in it or other stuff.

I used to get pretty hyped up when I had eaten meat and I think this must be a good thing when you're trying to race.

Now, I'm very calm, but still have good energy.

JohnDDD said:
Btw I think Jan Ullrich is a vegetarian
looking at his legs, i would be very surprised if he was. (but then again, i'm pro-meat, so i'm biased :eek: )

JohnDDD said:
I've been a vegan for three years and now a vegetarian for half a year.

I think meat does contain certain things that can really give you an energy boast so to speak, not sure if it's psychological or has something to do with the iron in it or other stuff.

I used to get pretty hyped up when I had eaten meat and I think this must be a good thing when you're trying to race.

Now, I'm very calm, but still have good energy.
the saturated fats in meat, steak for example, has been shown to be testosterone boosting, which might explain the energy boost.

wh0areume said:
the saturated fats in meat, steak for example, has been shown to be testosterone boosting, which might explain the energy boost.
Hrm... I find that by eating meat I'm consuming the soul of the creature, this gives me my power on hill climbs and on those really long rides.

But then again... if I really was consuming the soul of a cow I'd really probably just want to stand around all day chewing on grass and swatting flies.

Ahh well... steak tastes good. Bacon tastes goooood :)

I was just discussing this with a coorworker, and he informed me that there are such things as "fruitarians". People who will not eat anything 'living', including digging up vegetables etc.

They will only eat what falls to the ground.

I eat what falls to the ground too... after I've shot it... :D

when i get hungry i just walk through the decomposing flesh section of the grocery store and i quickly loose my appetite

Status
Not open for further replies.