Eating Meat (or not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
aa9t8 said:
when i get hungry i just walk through the decomposing flesh section of the grocery store and i quickly loose my appetite
I'm confused... a vegetarian in Abby!? how odd!! :D

I don't know about you folks out the the 'belt, but we here in the city have large devices that keep our meat nice and cool, frozen sometimes too.

Keeps em from spoiling! ;)

(it is good to see a fellow lower mainland-ite... i'm just having fun :) )

Lord Vader said:
I eat what falls to the ground too... after I've shot it... :D

"If you're not supposed to eat animals, why are they made of Meat ?"

:)

hey vader
where abouts in the big city do you live? what you ride? i stopped eating chicken because i thought that we should not be as cruel as we are to them. and my vagatariansism just progressed from there. now i am repulsed by the whole concept of eating meat. you know the blow flies decomposing rotting flesh csi thing. suppose if i had to i could go back to eating meat. but i believe i enjoy some health benifits from not eating it. as well as the negative kharma thing. but to each his own. hey i belong to a group out here and we just started doing a critical mass ride and we need more support guess when we get closer i will post it.

A friend of mine is putting on muscle by lifting weights (not yet big enough to be called a body builder). He uses protein powder to get the 2.2g/Kg daily allowance on his vegetarian diet.

aa9t8 said:
hey vader
where abouts in the big city do you live? what you ride? i stopped eating chicken because i thought that we should not be as cruel as we are to them. and my vagatariansism just progressed from there. now i am repulsed by the whole concept of eating meat. you know the blow flies decomposing rotting flesh csi thing. suppose if i had to i could go back to eating meat. but i believe i enjoy some health benifits from not eating it. as well as the negative kharma thing. but to each his own. hey i belong to a group out here and we just started doing a critical mass ride and we need more support guess when we get closer i will post it.
I'm in New Westminster.

I ride an 06 Devinci Silverstone. I work in Richmond so I usually ride to work a few times a week, and then go for a nice big ride on the weekend.

I'm not opposed to vegetarians.. but I did grow up in Victoria so I've had to put up with the trendy vegans and fake elitist hippies... so its an old habit of getting people's goat from time to time :)

How often/far do you usually ride? And let me know about the critical mass thing, I'm down for that

hey vader
hey i used to be a carnivore but i got over it. i ride daily for my arthritis. my usual route is 6 kms been riding the track bike, better cardio. next week i am working close enough to home to ride. but will ride mtn bike. wife and i ride a tandem too. last year we did a coulple of 100 km trips and we rode out to harrison and back 135.7 yes .7 kms. and the only thing i fake is some level of sanity. the next c.m.r. is on the 19th of july. meet at the bike shop on the corner of ware and walsh. which is very close to south fraser way. at 7pm. if you need directions just let me know.

kennethn said:
Another vote for vegetarianism. I've been a lacto-ovo vegetarian for 17 years. Protein isn't such a concern when you're lacto-ovo, I also eat lots of soy-based foods. The cholesterol level of 128 is also a nice side benefit :)

I'm not Vegetarian but Fishatarian. Have been now for 10 years. Plenty of energy, low body fat, low cost for food etc. Hate the thought of animals dying just to feed us(don't ask me about fish...don't eat much anyway), and other enviornmental issues with animal production/land use etc.
My wife "converted"(!!) when we got together and we're bringing up our sons as non meat eaters too. They're both very healthy and energetic too. :)

meanttoconsume.jpg

http://veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7466

Lord Vader said:
Aaaand you're trying to show me what....?
I think what the chart shows is what biologists and anthropologists have been saying for a long time, that the historic diet of **** sapiens was about 90% plant material and 10% meat or animal material. The chart would like you to belive that we were total vegetarians, but that is not the case. We have always eaten meat to some degree, that percentage (with some exceptions) has gotten higher with the invention of the modern diet.

L

Lonnie Utah said:
I think what the chart shows is what biologists and anthropologists have been saying for a long time, that the historic diet of **** sapiens was about 90% plant material and 10% meat or animal material. The chart would like you to belive that we were total vegetarians, but that is not the case. We have always eaten meat to some degree, that percentage (with some exceptions) has gotten higher with the invention of the modern diet.

L

Thats as much as I figured... hehe.

I just can't see humans in the early days being all too picky as to what they ate... Primative vegan shows called "Grogs Garden"..

I could never be vegetarian, and I rarely eat salads. I love meat and chicken, but I only eat the low fat types.

Meat is good for you because it gives you iron - something a veggie diet can't do well. Iron will help your red blood cell count and make you a faster biker. Liver is the best for iron.

JTE83 said:
I could never be vegetarian, and I rarely eat salads. I love meat and chicken, but I only eat the low fat types.

I have never eaten a salad and I have been vegan for over half my life. The range of available vegetarian/vegan foods is immense and broader than what most would think. There is a huge choice of non-animal derived foods. I recommend you look into it.

JTE83 said:
Meat is good for you because it gives you iron - something a veggie diet can't do well. Iron will help your red blood cell count and make you a faster biker. Liver is the best for iron.

I do not know why you wrote what you did. It is completely invalid; it is completely untrue. In Reality the opposite is true, as the link and table below shows:

http://www.soystache.com/iron.htm

(Click on the thumbnail for a larger picture)

Ideologue said:
I have never eaten a salad and I have been vegan for over half my life. The range of available vegetarian/vegan foods is immense and broader than what most would think. There is a huge choice of non-animal derived foods. I recommend you look into it.

Great post, Idealogue. Thanks for the info. I'm always interested in what prompts people to make major life changes. What made you go vegan?

Pendejo said:
What made you go vegan?

To be honest, I just could not stomach the thought of eating the vaginal discharge of Chickens and consuming the bodily fluids of Cows. Those were the only two animal/bird-derived foods in my diet at the time. I was vegetarian since birth, despite not being of vegetarian parents. I naturally, even as a baby, rejected most animal-derived foods.

But now, although I still find the thought of consuming bits of animals rather gross, I have become more aware of all the other factors that prompt most into removing animal/bird/insect foods from their diets. Such factors are: preventing animal cruelty, optimising ones own health and reducing impact on the environment (as this link will demonstrate: http://home.iae.nl/users/lightnet/health/Earth/Earth.htm ).

I heard (during a lecture by a nutrition expert) that most vegans become vegan because of ethical reasons, I.E. to prevent animal suffering. They did not opt for the vegan diet because of health reasons (although a great many people do opt for a purely plant-based diet to improve their health). A recent study showed that on whole the average vegan (being such a person who became vegan for ethical reasons and who did not really study how to go about becoming vegan from a nutritional aspect) is as healthy as the healthiest meat-eater (non-vegetarian/vegan). His conclusion was that if more vegans were more careful about nutrition then they would easily, as a group, surpass non-vegans in health comparison tests.

I just uploaded a pdf book on the subject. I think it is very well written and gets straight to the point:

http://www.savefile.com/files.php?fid=2671104

i am still stuck on this vaginal discharge!
i have been a happy go lucky vagitarian. now am i ruined?

Status
Not open for further replies.