Eating more when riding

Corzhens

May 26, 2015
It is not me but another lady rider who is my husband's cousin. She is also a senior and she rides to keep her weight down. But lately she confided to me that her weight is increasing again maybe because she develops a bigger appetite when she rides. Perhaps the body is trying to compensate the fatigue with more food. My advice was for her to drink more, whether plain water or juice. Just drink to give the stomach a feeling that it is full.

It is not me but another lady rider who is my husband's cousin. She is also a senior and she rides to keep her weight down. But lately she confided to me that her weight is increasing again maybe because she develops a bigger appetite when she rides. Perhaps the body is trying to compensate the fatigue with more food. My advice was for her to drink more, whether plain water or juice. Just drink to give the stomach a feeling that it is full.

I can't really say for sure as there are many factors to this. But I find that people who are trying to lose weight tend to eat more. And you may be right about trying to compensate for her tiredness.

Maybe she could consider drinking juice extracts. It's a healthy alternative to eating. Not only do you get the essential nutrients for healthy living. You also get a fuller feeling that lasts longer.

I can't really say for sure as there are many factors to this. But I find that people who are trying to lose weight tend to eat more. And you may be right about trying to compensate for her tiredness.

Maybe she could consider drinking juice extracts. It's a healthy alternative to eating. Not only do you get the essential nutrients for healthy living. You also get a fuller feeling that lasts longer.
Agree with yoy 100%.

One needs to be aware of the lopsidedness of how quickly calories can be consumed vs how slowly they are used up.
A female senior rider, I’m guessing she might burn 400 cals/hour riding. That’s less than a cupcake’s worth.

It is not me but another lady rider who is my husband's cousin. She is also a senior and she rides to keep her weight down. But lately she confided to me that her weight is increasing again maybe because she develops a bigger appetite when she rides. Perhaps the body is trying to compensate the fatigue with more food. My advice was for her to drink more, whether plain water or juice Just drink to give the stomach a feeling that it is full.

Corzhens, Hi,

Its a really good advice to her, I agree with you that digestion can get harder as rides get longer, so eat more solids at the beginning of the ride, and switch to blocks, chews, and other easily-digested foods during the final part of the ride. Don't worry about specific amounts of protein or fat, just eat what tastes good so you keep eating.

Some fruit juices are loaded with calories. If someone wants to lose weight, fruit juices are the last thing they should be drinking.

Check this article how to keep balance in cycling training diet. It is all about calories balance, but it is important when and what you eat.

Example:

a day of intensive training – day with a high level of supplied carbohydrates
a day without training – day with a low level of supplied carbohydrates
Monday – day with a high level of supplied carbohydrates and with intensive training Tuesday – day with a low level of supplied carbohydrates and without training
Wednesday – day with a medium level of supplied carbohydrates and with moderate intensive training
Thursday – day with a high level of supplied carbohydrates and with intensive training
Friday – day with a low level of supplied carbohydrates and without training Saturday – day with a medium level of supplied carbohydrates and with moderate intensive training
Sunday – day with a high level of supplied carbohydrates and with intensive training
And so on…

https://cyklopedia.cc/carb-cycling/

Probably not eating enough on the bike. You’re likely burning 600 kcal at a minimum and eating 200. Also check hydration.

Hard to say but trying that cannot hurt. As I exercise more, my body eats less for some reason and I don’t feel hungry. But I have cut out most daily carbs to input protein.

According to research during riding plain water is best for hydration, 30-60 grams of carbohydrate per hour, mix of carbohydrate these are like for medium ridings and workouts.