Eating Out in Big D

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Michael Odom, Jan 22, 2005.

  1. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    We did tonight, anyway. I had to take some notes and start work on a
    short piece I have to write on a painting show in the city this
    afternoon, and we had an art benefit for an ailing friend this evening
    in another gallery. In between the two, D and I killed some time
    picking up blood oranges and gorgonzola and good oatmael at Central
    Market. Next we quaffed some wine at Cafe Express (merlot for me and
    a kooky Aussie shiraz for D) -- admittedly not a wine destination, but
    it's usually okay for the likes of us. And it was so tonight.

    We decided to eat at the Stonleigh P. For ya'll who live where it's
    colder than here, and for ya'll who live in Old Europe and Oz and
    other such foreign lands, the Stonleigh P is a bar and grill across
    Maple Ave. from the Stonleigh Hotel. The P was once the Stoneleigh
    Pharmacy, but part of the neon sign burned out ages ago. Basically
    the "harmacy" left the Pharmacy, and we were left with a "P" about the
    time it was converted from a drug store to an eatery-cum-bar back when
    Nixon was on everybody's mind and Vietnam wasn't a cuisine option but
    a quagmire in the making. They have a seriously cool juke box and
    good burgers. http://www.stoneleighp.com/

    D is doing South Beach with good success, so she had a cup of Xotillo
    soup (sans rice) and a spinach salad with a delicious Creole mustard
    vinaigrette. I went for the trusty Rancho Delux burger: 1/2 lb of
    ground beef on a ciabatta roll with onion, tomato and a fine chipotle
    mayonnaise.

    It was fine. Really fine. And the waitress was cute, too. I was
    full enough when we left for the gallery that I didn't snack on any of
    the munchies there.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

    Tags:

  2. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Very interesting, Michael. Are you a writer, a painter, a
    writer/painter ? I always read every word of your dinner menus. And
    an expert at preparing food with an original touch.
    Nancree

  3. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Very interesting, Michael. Are you a writer, a painter--or a
    writer/painter? You paint with words. I always read all of your
    posts, and note your ingenious combinations.
    Nancree

  4. Lucy

    Lucy Guest

    "Michael Odom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:rc96v0dkjknl890e0gecf9qi26nm8[email protected]
    > We did tonight, anyway. I had to take some notes and start work on a
    > short piece I have to write on a painting show in the city this
    > afternoon, and we had an art benefit for an ailing friend this evening
    > in another gallery. In between the two, D and I killed some time
    > picking up blood oranges and gorgonzola and good oatmael at Central
    > Market. Next we quaffed some wine at Cafe Express (merlot for me and
    > a kooky Aussie shiraz for D) -- admittedly not a wine destination, but
    > it's usually okay for the likes of us. And it was so tonight.
    >
    > We decided to eat at the Stonleigh P. For ya'll who live where it's
    > colder than here, and for ya'll who live in Old Europe and Oz and
    > other such foreign lands, the Stonleigh P is a bar and grill across
    > Maple Ave. from the Stonleigh Hotel. The P was once the Stoneleigh
    > Pharmacy, but part of the neon sign burned out ages ago. Basically
    > the "harmacy" left the Pharmacy, and we were left with a "P" about the
    > time it was converted from a drug store to an eatery-cum-bar back when
    > Nixon was on everybody's mind and Vietnam wasn't a cuisine option but
    > a quagmire in the making. They have a seriously cool juke box and
    > good burgers. http://www.stoneleighp.com/
    >
    > D is doing South Beach with good success, so she had a cup of Xotillo
    > soup (sans rice) and a spinach salad with a delicious Creole mustard
    > vinaigrette. I went for the trusty Rancho Delux burger: 1/2 lb of
    > ground beef on a ciabatta roll with onion, tomato and a fine chipotle
    > mayonnaise.
    >
    > It was fine. Really fine. And the waitress was cute, too. I was
    > full enough when we left for the gallery that I didn't snack on any of
    > the munchies there.
    >

    > modom
    >
    > "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    > -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

  5. Lucy

    Lucy Guest

    "Michael Odom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > We did tonight, anyway. I had to take some notes and start work on a
    > short piece I have to write on a painting show in the city this
    > afternoon, and we had an art benefit for an ailing friend this evening
    > in another gallery. In between the two, D and I killed some time
    > picking up blood oranges and gorgonzola and good oatmael at Central
    > Market. Next we quaffed some wine at Cafe Express (merlot for me and
    > a kooky Aussie shiraz for D) -- admittedly not a wine destination, but
    > it's usually okay for the likes of us. And it was so tonight.
    >
    > We decided to eat at the Stonleigh P. For ya'll who live where it's
    > colder than here, and for ya'll who live in Old Europe and Oz and
    > other such foreign lands, the Stonleigh P is a bar and grill across
    > Maple Ave. from the Stonleigh Hotel. The P was once the Stoneleigh
    > Pharmacy, but part of the neon sign burned out ages ago. Basically
    > the "harmacy" left the Pharmacy, and we were left with a "P" about the
    > time it was converted from a drug store to an eatery-cum-bar back when
    > Nixon was on everybody's mind and Vietnam wasn't a cuisine option but
    > a quagmire in the making. They have a seriously cool juke box and
    > good burgers. http://www.stoneleighp.com/

    Michael,
    I heard a different version of why it is called the Stoneleigh P, instead of
    pharmacy. I've always heard they couldn't get a restaurant called a
    pharmacy, so the owner put correction fluid over the 'harmacy' on the
    documents, and left it the Stoneleigh P. I checked their website to see if
    they mentioned it, and sure enough.. this is the version that is on their
    site.
    Agree with you though, that they do have good food. Haven't tried a burger
    yet though.. will have to next time we're downtown.
    lucy

  6. nancree

    nancree Guest

    Very interesting, Michael. Are you a writer, a painter, a
    writer/painter ? I always read every word of your dinner menus. And
    an expert at preparing food with an original touch.
    Nancree

  7. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:43:43 GMT, "Lucy" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >"Michael Odom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]
    >> We did tonight, anyway. I had to take some notes and start work on a
    >> short piece I have to write on a painting show in the city this
    >> afternoon, and we had an art benefit for an ailing friend this evening
    >> in another gallery. In between the two, D and I killed some time
    >> picking up blood oranges and gorgonzola and good oatmael at Central
    >> Market. Next we quaffed some wine at Cafe Express (merlot for me and
    >> a kooky Aussie shiraz for D) -- admittedly not a wine destination, but
    >> it's usually okay for the likes of us. And it was so tonight.
    >>
    >> We decided to eat at the Stonleigh P. For ya'll who live where it's
    >> colder than here, and for ya'll who live in Old Europe and Oz and
    >> other such foreign lands, the Stonleigh P is a bar and grill across
    >> Maple Ave. from the Stonleigh Hotel. The P was once the Stoneleigh
    >> Pharmacy, but part of the neon sign burned out ages ago. Basically
    >> the "harmacy" left the Pharmacy, and we were left with a "P" about the
    >> time it was converted from a drug store to an eatery-cum-bar back when
    >> Nixon was on everybody's mind and Vietnam wasn't a cuisine option but
    >> a quagmire in the making. They have a seriously cool juke box and
    >> good burgers. http://www.stoneleighp.com/

    >Michael,
    >I heard a different version of why it is called the Stoneleigh P, instead of
    >pharmacy. I've always heard they couldn't get a restaurant called a
    >pharmacy, so the owner put correction fluid over the 'harmacy' on the
    >documents, and left it the Stoneleigh P. I checked their website to see if
    >they mentioned it, and sure enough.. this is the version that is on their
    >site.
    >Agree with you though, that they do have good food. Haven't tried a burger
    >yet though.. will have to next time we're downtown.
    >lucy

    I see that you are right about the loss of "harmacy." Don't know
    where I got my erroneous version.

    Their burgers are really good, and so are their martinis, by the way.
    Also, I really like the queso verde cheese dip and the artichoke
    appetizer.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

  8. Michael Odom

    Michael Odom Guest

    On 22 Jan 2005 21:38:40 -0800, "nancree" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Very interesting, Michael. Are you a writer, a painter--or a
    >writer/painter? You paint with words. I always read all of your
    >posts, and note your ingenious combinations.
    > Nancree

    I write about art from time to time. And I paint. Mostly I teach for
    the money that's in it.

    modom

    "Dallas is a rich man with a death wish in his eyes."
    -- Jimmie Dale Gilmore

  9. Lucy

    Lucy Guest

    "Michael Odom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > On Sun, 23 Jan 2005 05:43:43 GMT, "Lucy" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >

    >>"Michael Odom" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >>news:[email protected]
    >>> We did tonight, anyway. I had to take some notes and start work on a
    >>> short piece I have to write on a painting show in the city this
    >>> afternoon, and we had an art benefit for an ailing friend this evening
    >>> in another gallery. In between the two, D and I killed some time
    >>> picking up blood oranges and gorgonzola and good oatmael at Central
    >>> Market. Next we quaffed some wine at Cafe Express (merlot for me and
    >>> a kooky Aussie shiraz for D) -- admittedly not a wine destination, but
    >>> it's usually okay for the likes of us. And it was so tonight.
    >>>
    >>> We decided to eat at the Stonleigh P. For ya'll who live where it's
    >>> colder than here, and for ya'll who live in Old Europe and Oz and
    >>> other such foreign lands, the Stonleigh P is a bar and grill across
    >>> Maple Ave. from the Stonleigh Hotel. The P was once the Stoneleigh
    >>> Pharmacy, but part of the neon sign burned out ages ago. Basically
    >>> the "harmacy" left the Pharmacy, and we were left with a "P" about the
    >>> time it was converted from a drug store to an eatery-cum-bar back when
    >>> Nixon was on everybody's mind and Vietnam wasn't a cuisine option but
    >>> a quagmire in the making. They have a seriously cool juke box and
    >>> good burgers. http://www.stoneleighp.com/

    >>Michael,
    >>I heard a different version of why it is called the Stoneleigh P, instead
    >>of
    >>pharmacy. I've always heard they couldn't get a restaurant called a
    >>pharmacy, so the owner put correction fluid over the 'harmacy' on the
    >>documents, and left it the Stoneleigh P. I checked their website to see if
    >>they mentioned it, and sure enough.. this is the version that is on their
    >>site.
    >>Agree with you though, that they do have good food. Haven't tried a burger
    >>yet though.. will have to next time we're downtown.
    >>lucy
    >>

    > I see that you are right about the loss of "harmacy." Don't know
    > where I got my erroneous version.
    >
    > Their burgers are really good, and so are their martinis, by the way.
    > Also, I really like the queso verde cheese dip and the artichoke
    > appetizer.

    Oh man.. now you have me wanting to go down there! I love artichokes.
    And, there are LOTS of versions going around.. on any given night at the P,
    you'll hear at least three.
    lol
    lucy :)

  10. Lucy